What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed this guy on one of my kegs that I put a brew in that I used whole leaf hops to boil with and dry hop with that kept getting clogged. These things are awesome!!View attachment 646480View attachment 646481

Definitely one of the best additions to kegging you can make. I have slowly added to 10 of my 13 kegs.
The manufacturer support is outstanding as well.

Just tapped the Northern Brewer blonde I brewed two weeks ago. Could use a smidge more carbonation (had it only on serving pressure for the last 4 days, pulled the PRV several times) but the flavor is beyond fresh, and the hops are quite interesting. The bitterness on the back end is a bit overwhelming at first but I think it will mellow out slowly into something more subtle. Getting some delicious maltiness from it as well, surprising since it's all two-row. Happy with this one.

Kegged the braggot finally (brewed Sept. `18) since the 3gal keg showed up. Taste is a little odd, not surprising given all I threw at it to maximize the alcohol. Best estimate is that it hit ~17%. Fortunately it fits in my kegerator even with 2 other full size kegs; just using a picnic tap with it.

Just dropped $1075 on 9 gallon Stout HERMS HLT and a 9 gallon MLT. Both with Tri-clover Tangential fittings.

I'm shocked that the shipping weight is 109lbs.

HLT....

https://conical-fermenter.com/9-Gal...arkings-and-Upper-Tangential-Fitting-422.html

MLT ...

https://conical-fermenter.com/-9-Gallon-Mash-Tun.html?cat=43

HL9TW-HC-LL-TI-logo.jpeg
9g-mash-tun-510-mt9tw-rf-800-391.jpeg

Sampled a batch of Scotch ale that is already bottled and found it too sweet for my palate. Poured 32 bombers back into fermenter and repitched with fresh yeast. Now I have 32 bottles to sanitize (again)!

That sounds drastic!

I just bottled a wee heavy (non traditional with 1/4 lb cherry smoked - I like it that way). Popped into my dead kegerator for temp controlled carbonation with the heater.

It was a month at 68. I only bottled 4 (2 for competition, and 2 to check leading up to said competition) but I re-yeasted with CBC-1 yeast (since it had been lagering for a long time) and added specific amount of priming sugar for each bottle. I'm a kegger these days, and wasn't sure whether to go by the highest or lowest temp when calculating carb level, so I went the conservative route and went by the coldest. Since the carbonation level was disappointing, I added the amount that would bring me to the warmest. But like I said, I had gushers so I have no idea what I'll end up with. Still have one test bottle anyway.

You’ll probably end up with less carb than expected. You had some co2 in solution and when you added more sugar you gave the co2 a nucleation point and it rushed out of solution while you had the cap off

Got the POS Passat out of the garage for the umpteenth time to get it cleaned out and washed preparatory to it either going away to a friend's house to eventually get fixed (needs new CV axles on the front) or selling the darn thing. Was a great daily driver until the axle went out, and it's not something I want to tackle even though I could probably do it myself. Bonus, now plenty of room for the brewday tomorrow! Got the grain milled for that; been double-milling for the last few batches, and I'm definitely seeing an improvement in the brews. Since I MIAB I can go as fine as I want, but I finally found the happy medium; first crush is loosening up the hulls, second crush pulverizes the grain but leaves lots of hulls intact. All I have to do in the morning is make coffee and get the strike heating up. Gonna be a great brewday.

Spent Friday night moving my 1# bags of hops into 1oz bags using the vacuum sealer.

Saturday, bought a 7cu.ft. chest freezer for kegging/fermenting/yeast and hop storage.

Today I head to the LHBS to buy the rest of the hoses, a full CO2 tank, etc. so that I can tap my first kegged beer-an IPA for my dad.

Should be able to take a growler to the homecoming tailgate this Friday.

Last edited:
JAReeves - you might want to look into a spunding set up for your keg.

I bought a 50# bag of pilsner pale malt for those days I want to have a short brew, or a basic partial mash, need to top up poor utilization, and easily make stir plate starters. Parceled it out into various 3-6 pound contrainers and ziplock bags.

Did a 2.5 gallon quickie to test out Opshaug yeast (and prove that I have finally got the pichia apotheca out of my 30L Speidel plastic fermenter. Otherwise, I've got an expensive wild yeast fermenter sitting in the back. Warning - pichia apotheca is a right royal pain to get rid of.

JAReeves - you might want to look into a spunding set up for your keg.

I bought a 50# bag of pilsner pale malt for those days I want to have a short brew, or a basic partial mash, need to top up poor utilization, and easily make stir plate starters. Parceled it out into various 3-6 pound contrainers and ziplock bags.

Did a 2.5 gallon quickie to test out Opshaug yeast (and prove that I have finally got the pichia apotheca out of my 30L Speidel plastic fermenter. Otherwise, I've got an expensive wild yeast fermenter sitting in the back. Warning - pichia apotheca is a right royal pain to get rid of.

Between yesterday and today:
1. started a cyser solera, but fingers crossed that Pub yeast finishes around 1.002 and not bone dry. Will see. Follow up to that will be if sake yeast will finish about 1.002. Otherwise, it's Camden tablets, or I fill some PET bottles in the fridge around 1015 and drink before they explode.
2. Opshaug yeast in effectively an strong bitter with extra hops. Been 12 hours with a low pitch and the krausen is growing.
3. Opshaug starter is going. I poured off half for the above bitter, then added more starter wort and probably pour that off into canning jars in the next 24-48 hours.
4. Will do a test batch in my 30L speidel and hopefully the pichia apotheca that has been inhabiting a crack somewhere if finally DOA. Otherwise, this becomes my sour vessel and I barely dabble in sours
5. Eyeballing when it's cold enough in Seattle to start a round of Czech style session beers in a naturally cold garage. It's looking like about now.

436655d9af31638072.jpg

First HB for almost a year, still totally green but couldn't resist. Finally got all my ducks in a row, turns out I do have quite enough after all now that every single one has been washed. Talking about washing, scrubbed all the fermentor buckets, siphon, boiling pot etc last night too, fumbled with the wine thief inadvertently Lifting it upside down, out came the gravity meter float and snapped in two so need to order. A new one once money permits. Oh and whipped up a quick extract batch of Coopers amber as I wait for my rauchbier to finish up for bottling.

It’s probably young, but I poured off the first pint of my first ever kegged beer (kegged on 10/1). Big lacy head, lots of little yeasties, but I understand that’s usually the first pour anyway-like when I was bottling.

I’ve just been sitting here sniffing it. Almost afraid to drink it. But, I’ll just have to conquer my fear and do it.

I forgot to mention in a previous post that on Saturday, my son was desperate to do something active, so we built 4 24”x24” hop oast trays for next year’s crop.

upload_2019-10-7_17-53-13.jpeg

It’s probably young, but I poured off the first pint of my first ever kegged beer (kegged on 10/1). Big lacy head, lots of little yeasties, but I understand that’s usually the first pour anyway-like when I was bottling.

I’ve just been sitting here sniffing it. Almost afraid to drink it. But, I’ll just have to conquer my fear and do it.

I forgot to mention in a previous post that on Saturday, my son was desperate to do something active, so we built 4 24”x24” hop oast trays for next year’s crop.

View attachment 647306

The first sip will blow your mind; kegged beer tastes soooo much different than bottled. A few pours in and you will be amazed, and never want to go back to bottling. Soon you'll be searching for more kegs, bigger kegerator, bigger co2 tank....it's a vicious snowball from hell, but so much fun. For me, it's being able to enjoy my delicious beer three days after kegging.

Latest posts

Back