What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_8365.jpg

Transferred IPA from fermenter to keg so now cold crashing and carbonating.

Completely out of room with 5 corny kegs: 1 lager primary fermenting, Porter, lager and cream ale on tap and the aforementioned IPA. Looks like I need to have a party or “free beer” sign in the front yard

Tasted the Cascade/Mosaic IPA I brewed two weeks ago, and sadly decided to dump it. Yeast issues. Oh well, just have to replace it on Sunday....

View attachment 633158
Transferred IPA from fermenter to keg so now cold crashing and carbonating.

Completely out of room with 5 corny kegs: 1 lager primary fermenting, Porter, lager and cream ale on tap and the aforementioned IPA. Looks like I need to have a party or “free beer” sign in the front yard

read through the last two pages....saw that and thought, you could fit another keg in there if you keep the co2 tank outside. and by god's sake you need a 20#'er....lol

Soaked the oak chips in Knob Creek two days ago. I came home from work last night, ready to make the cold brew, only to find out we are out of coffee. Guess I'm headed to the store as soon as it opens.

I dry hopped my Black IPA fermented with Omega Hornindal with 3.5 oz Citra and 3.5 oz Enigma.
I dry hopped my IPA fermented with Omega Hornindal with 3.5 oz Simcoe and 3.5 oz Azacca.

I rinsed and removed labels from 250 bottles of various sizes ( 330 and 500 ml ).

My Colonna capper/corker broke can’t get parts (after a short search) so I ordered the super Agata from AIH which was 15% off and I’m hoping to find a used floor corker... should be set for life after that. o_O
What broke on your Colonna, and how do you like the Agata?

I have a Colonna and it seem like it does not always crimp the caps evenly, some ridges are proud and I need to turn the bottle and recrimp. I recently sent some bottle of beers and a couple leaked, so I am wondering if even when the bottle looked crimped correctly that maybe they are not. Have also had comments on competition beers of low carbonation. Long store short think I am in the market for a new capper or new bell.

What broke on your Colonna, and how do you like the Agata?

I have a Colonna and it seem like it does not always crimp the caps evenly, some ridges are proud and I need to turn the bottle and recrimp. I recently sent some bottle of beers and a couple leaked, so I am wondering if even when the bottle looked crimped correctly that maybe they are not. Have also had comments on competition beers of low carbonation. Long store short think I am in the market for a new capper or new bell.
The nylon “threaded bolt” on the handle broke off and a few teeth on the nylon part that the bell slides onto. I have also noticed the unevenness of the crips, but never had anything leak or not carb up because of it. I liked that it did double duty. I plan to attach the super agata to a board. The crimping on the cap is more uniform, and it is easy to use.

Adding the hibiscus tea and a pound of Simplicity sugar to my saison that I brewed last Sunday.

Disappointed in my current efficiency levels since I began BIAB this year. I know it doesn't come up to the levels I enjoyed in the past with my mashtun but since my braid met its maker I didn't want to stop brewing. After 5-6 batches my OG's have gotten worse each time. The saison was supposed to hit 1.060 but it only hit 1.046!

Friggin fargin varmint critter...!!

Quick trip to the LHBS and the grain bins are full again; this time bought not only a full bag of two row, but also a full bag of pilsner. I usually get 12lbs at a time, now I have grain for a looooong time. Also whipped up a small batch of apfelwein that can sit for a few months until fall. Brewing the "replacement" batch of Mosaic Smash IPA tomorrow, and giving the bad one a burial at sea.

Bottled the DIPA. Hoping it has some carb by Thursday.

Checked the carb on the Red Rye. After 6 days, it could use some more bubbles, but it’s dangerously drinkable.

Last edited:
Was waiting on my replacement sight glass to come in the mail and took that as an opportunity to deep clean the kettle. Took every fitting off and tore all of the valves apart and deep cleaned everything and put everything back together. Then had to remake my measurement marks for the new sightglass. Back up and running and ready for a brew.

fullsizeoutput_1fc.jpeg

Bottled this ale. I was shooting for a kolsch type beer, but I didn't quite get there. I wanted to replicate an extract kit I loved with all grain, but tried wlp029 this time due to temperature ranges and I think I prefer the 2565 from WYeast. Whatever its classification, it'll be a damn fine drinker.

BCE9A865-2275-4CEA-86B9-D14035277341.jpeg
Last night I transferred my imperial stout to the bourbon barrel. The humidity kept it nice and tight no leaks even though the Maker’s Mark I added after cleaning it after the first beer was evaporated/ absorbed. The towels soaked in starsan, because a few flies were buzzing around. Love summer, hate flies.

Last edited:
My 23 yo nephew moved up to Minneapolis last fall to start a new job and being we are his only relatives in town, he likes to hang out here a lot. Got him into brewing and he has sat in on a couple brew sessions so far. He told me he'd like to build his own beer and brew it here, so while having a few beers last night he talked about how much he loves stouts. The taproom we were at has a very nice oatmeal stout and he asked me about making one of those. We might do Yooper's recipe, and tweak it a bit. Maybe bourbon-soaked oak chips.

Into the vortex he goes... ;)

Last edited:
Had a busy day off with convenience things and necessary things. Added a lazy man thermometer to both my BK and HLT so no more bending:
IMG_4497.JPG

IMG_4498.JPG

Added graduations to my MLT sight glass:
IMG_4499.JPG

Transferred/kegged a Pale Ale:
IMG_0011.JPG

Broke down/deep cleaned my CF10:
IMG_4500.JPG

Now I gotta put the feet up and enjoy the fruits... err.. beers... of my labors!

Have you done this before? How does it work? It seems like an easy way to get a gose going.
I too am intrigued, but not from a gose standpoint. What did you use to acidify (took me three tries to type that, it's late and I'm tired) it? I still haven't tried your method for caramelizing malt in the IP but intend to one of these days.

Have you done this before? How does it work? It seems like an easy way to get a gose going.
No it's a first try for acidulated malt. I wetted the grains overnight with distilled water. The amount of water is equal to it's weight less 5%. Allowing it soak in the fridge in a water tight Tupperware tub. Same as I would with Crystal Malt.

I used 2lbs of barley. Laid it in the pot and flattened it as best I could then put foil on top of the grain crunched the foil to seal off the grain at the edges then added the rack and plate to keep the foil pressed against the grain.

With the foil, rack, plate and the lid on, I then set the Instant Pot to Ultra Mode (Custom Setting). Set the time to 36hours and the temp to 104F. No pressure, no warming (post heating). Then hit start and left for work.

Right now it's on 13hrs. When it's done I'm going to dump them on a smoking screen and an extra smoke rack to air dry. No smoking planned, just an easy way to dry. I'll pop it in the oven with no heat. It may max out at 145F. Oven will warm with just the incandescent light bulb lit. I'll let sit for a day or two until it's dry.

I'm hoping it doesn't have a fowl funk. The grain is not stewing in much liquid. 95% of the water was absorbed overnight. I'm optimistic. The lid vent has no fowl smell eminatting from it at moment.

Last edited:
I too am intrigued, but not from a gose standpoint. What did you use to acidify (took me three tries to type that, it's late and I'm tired) it? I still haven't tried your method for caramelizing malt in the IP but intend to one of these days.

Added nothing but water. The barley grain kernel has lactobacillus in it naturally. It's why people can do kettle sours or sour mashes.

So it's like I'm doing a 36-Hour Acid Rest in my Instant Pot Mash Tun. "Mash", if you want to call it that, since its a very thick mash at slightly less than 1/2 quart per pound. It's comparatively dry for a mash. Just like how a crystal malt mash is done but extremely low in temperature. There might be some beta glucan activity going on. I think it's more accurate to say I'm doing a controlled low temp sour mash. However the barley is not crushed. It's whole kernel.

This is from a blog that I like.

"The ACID rest: Temperature Range 95 F to 113 F, (35 to 45 C0 Active Enzyme Phytase, Glucanase

Ok, during an acid rest there are two potential enzymes working: Phytase and Glucanase. (And honestly you can pretty much ignore one of them). Phytase works actively on a molecule found in grains called phytin. It creates phytic acid which can and will lower your mash pH. But it takes a long time (60 minutes) and really only does well in soft water. If you ever want to do a true, rustic brew with minimal additions, this is the way to lower pH without chemicals. It is also a pain in the ass and takes forever. It is much easier to add some Acid, or Acidulated Malt to the grist.

The real reason to do a rest at this temperature is to break down beta glucans (gummy gelatin gunk). Beta Glucan is a gummy carbohydrate that surrounds the starch molecule of a grain. They get in the way of the amylase and other enzymes, and glucans are the chief contributor to chill haze in your beer. A brief rest at these temperature ranges will allow glucanase to break down the Beta Glucans. End result- clearer beer and slightly better conversion. Especially important for wheat and rye. When you do a Beta Glucan Rest your wort will be very milky, that is normal and good."

http://counterbrew.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-beer-geek-guide-to-step-mashing-even.html?m=1

Last edited:
Truth be told I read about this in my "Malting At Home" book. I'm just not doing it from a green malt state. I'm rewetting to mimic a green moisture content.
If you do Suis Vide you can basically make an acidulated and a crystal malt. You just need to know the set temp for your Suis Vide. It should be the same as mashing. Then bag your grain accordingly. I think the acidulated process requires venting your grain every 12 hours. Per the book I mention above. Therefore you'd want to use a Ziploc bag or a Stasher Suis Vide Bag. I didn't want to vent mine every 12 hours and the Ziploc bags I have tend to leak.

BTW - An Instant Pot Ultra can be a suis vide device.
Stasher-Art.jpeg

We never go anywhere on the 4th, it's been raining off and on anyway, so needed an indoor activity.

I have several bags of grain I just got from Morebeer. The specialty malts and adjuncts needed to be divided up for a couple upcoming brews. I weighed out the amounts, vac-sealed them and put them in the freezer. On brew day I'll be ready to roll--just cut 'em open and mill.

That kind of busywork always makes me thirsty. :)

Last edited:
Kicked the keg of American Strong to make room for the Mosaic IPA that will get kegged tomorrow. And tapped the Galaxy Smash I brewed two weeks ago. Needs a smidge more carbonation but is essentially done, and quite tasty. Husband says 'fruity as hell' but I'm just getting a nice subtle fruitiness with good bittering. Color is a nice gold. I've been using Great Western two row for quite some time now, and couldn't be happier with both the results and the price (I get a 55lb bag at my LHBS for $39.99).

Also browsed the list of breweries and beers that will be at Oregon Brewfest later this month; we go every year for my birthday. Not as many hazies that I thought there would be, but lots I will want to try. Somebody did an IPA with 100lbs of Fruity Pebbles in the mash, that and many others will be in my tasting glass in a few weeks.

Kegged 10 gal of my "Basic *****" Pumpkin Spiced Coffee Marzen
Kegged 10 gal of my "His & Hers" Malty Pale Ale recipe my wife and I brewed on our anniversary
Brewed 10 gal of my "Liberty" Lavender Cream Ale
Dry Hopped my "Futuristic" American IPA with Centennial, Citra and Falconers Flight.

Back