What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dumped in the second dry hop addition (1 ounce each Mosaic, Simcoe, Centenial) into my Pliney-inspired Imperial IPA.

mcbaumannerb said:
Racked my BDSA to the secondary over three pounds of figs and one more packet of Candi syrup. The ECY09 Belgian Abbaye yeast took it from 1.080 to 1.013 so it's at 8.7 before the latest additions ferment. Tastes pretty good already!

I'm on mobile, but it looks like you went with dried? I may have forgot to mention that those things are going to steal some beer. :(

Dumped in the second dry hop addition (1 ounce each Mosaic, Simcoe, Centenial) into my Pliney-inspired Imperial IPA.

Mosaic & simcoe play quite well together. I bittered my Cougar Country IPA with warrior,then flavor & dry hop with 2oz each of mosaic,simcoe,ahtanum & EKG. Great aroma & flavor even though it was green. 1st week of November I finally get a taste. Should have 2 IPA's for Thanksgiving.:rockin:

It probably won't be for another week or so. It's a pretty high grav brew and lager yeast will take a while to chew through those sugars.

Yeah that's what I figured. Being my first lager, I'm in newb territory all over again. It had dropped 14 points in 3 days (1.075 to 1.061), so I figure it's going 4-5 points per day. According to that math I'll check gravity again on Sunday...

tommyguner03 said:
transferred 10 gallons into secondary ..and now debating if i want to brew today?

I can see
"debate if I can brew today"
or
"debate if I should brew today"
But "want to"?!!?!!?

I am going to just pretend that was a typo...

Tasted the Farmhouse Ale I brewed 3 weeks ago.

18LB Pilsner Malt
2 Lbs Rye
1 Lb Crystal Malt 30l
1 Lb Munich
6 oz cascade leaf from my garden, at various stages.

2 FHW, 2 At 60 min, 1 at 15 One at flameout!

White labs 535 Saison At 78 for 14 days, to keg for a week. Started at 1.051. Ended at 1.002.

All I can say is WOW! And YUM!

image-3673823159.jpg

Bottled up my Gandhi-bot clone. Two more weeks until the official results are in but so far it's looking good. Got all the numbers pretty much spot on, but I did have an issue with hop absorption. I had just over 5 gallons into the fermenter and only about 4 1/3 gallons come out. I severely underestimated the power of 4 ounces of hops to absorb wort. I even wrung them out when I removed them and they still had absorbed a lot of wort.

They had a decent amount of moisture in them for dried figs, but a lot of what you saw was the pound of Candi syrup I also added to the carboy.

That really sounds like a great addition to a beer. I can't say I've ever noticed dried figs in my grocery store, but I've also never looked before..

That really sounds like a great addition to a beer. I can't say I've ever noticed dried figs in my grocery store, but I've also never looked before..
They are in the produce section around here. Right next to nuts and raisins.

Packed my suitcase extra carefully to avoid breaking the bottles/cans that I'm bringing back home with me.

Had soaked the remaining fermenter overnight. Just finished scrubbin,rinsing it. Then dumped the starsan out of the bottling bucket after soaking it in PBW & rinsing recently after bottling the then lacto infected IPA. smells & tastes good bottling day. Looks clear & no odd stuff in bottles. Used Starsan drained from bucket to sanitize the fermenter Then dumped it. Cleaned,scrubbed & rinsed both spigots. Then soak in starsan,cleaned mounting holes & re-assembled wet with Starsan. Cleaned & put away cleaning tools,etc. Glad that's done.

Just finished bottling, caging, and corking 2.5 gallons of saison and 2.5 gallons of cherry saison. The uncarbonated samples were amazingly clear and tasted amazing. Looking forward to sampling them in about a month!

Those bottle crates look like crap and I'm not jealous. Are they sized so you can lay the bottles dowb to condition? I see they're different? V1 and V2?

The one on the left was a random wooden crate we had that was essentially worthless until I started brewing. The one of the right was one I made by hand about a year ago. It didn't quite turn out as intended, but it's held up surprisingly well and holds a case of 12 oz bottles.

TNGabe said:
Those bottle crates look like crap and I'm not jealous. Are they sized so you can lay the bottles dowb to condition? I see they're different? V1 and V2?

I'll be buying some beer & vodka for the weekend. My Cougar Country IPA is three weeks in bottles,so I'll put a few in the fridge & see how far along they are.

kscarrington said:
Just finished bottling, caging, and corking 2.5 gallons of saison and 2.5 gallons of cherry saison. The uncarbonated samples were amazingly clear and tasted amazing. Looking forward to sampling them in about a month!

Cherry saison..??...sounds interesting, I can see the sour saison going really well with the sweet cherries. May try that in the spring. Recipe?

The one on the left was a random wooden crate we had that was essentially worthless until I started brewing. The one of the right was one I made by hand about a year ago. It didn't quite turn out as intended, but it's held up surprisingly well and holds a case of 12 oz bottles.

I've got way more 750s than boxes and need to make some crates out of scrap wood. Hopefully I'll actually get to it when the winter hits.

Drinking a few altbiers and bottling a bitter. Loving these malty/bitter balanced beers right now.

Back