What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled my Whiskely stout yesterday,54.5 bottles from 5 gallons. gotta clean it all up today. Got done late & was too tired last night...

Good for you! Get a good deal on kegs or just decided to spend the $$$?

I'd like to be one of these guys that finds a garage full of cornies for $5 a pop. Things like that never happen to me :mad:

Marked volume graduations on my 7.9 gal Speidel tank only to find that it isn't 7.9 gallons- it's like 8.5!!! Triple checked to be sure. 7.9 Imperial gallons is 9.5 gallons so I'm sort of scratching my head on this one. Also the ale pail bottling bucket graduations are incorrect (low)- 5 gal is at the skirt.

Good for you! Get a good deal on kegs or just decided to spend the $$$?

I'd like to be one of these guys that finds a garage full of cornies for $5 a pop. Things like that never happen to me :mad:

www.kegconnection.com

I checked craigslist, but nothing looked good.
$367 for 3 cornies, 10 lb Co2, all the hoses and taps, dual regulator and splitter, rings and lube.

I am happy to pony up.

NickTheGreat said:

+1
I have had 2 people learn that I was a brewer and volunteer a load of great equipment.

The first decided to check with her sons first to see if they wanted it.

The other I haven't heard from in the 8 months since. :mad:

I just bottled my Improved Scots Ale. Boiled on an open fire, not smoky at all - experimental batch, so only a 2-4's worth...but am I ever anticipating tasting it in a few weeks!

Scraped,split & chopped two GE Market District vanilla beans into it's jar with 1.5" of cheap vodka. Swirling it occasionaly to dissolve the pasty center of the beans I scraped out. Going into a robust porter when I git-r-done fermenting. Gunna brew it tomorrow.

Cleaned a few bottles and created a yeast starter for tomorrow. I also finished compiling a list of beers that I need to try based on a few "Top X number of craft brews to try". So far I have 153 beers to try and find and drink. That should take me a while to complete. :mug: :tank:

Kegging up a Pale Ale and an Amber to take to a wine show then standing around schmoozing and serving beer to wine snobs.

I am not looking forward to this event, does it show?

Making a California common. It's nit going so well...

Forgot to buy the half pound of victory make in the recipe, so it's not going to be as designed.

Missed my mash temps by 6 degrees, so had to add an extra half gallon of near boiling water.

Missed mash out temps, so ended up 7 point light on the pre boil gravity ( after adjusting the recipe for the lack of victory malt).

But I had plenty if sugars left in the mash tun, so I kept sparging and managed to collect enough gravity points with out running below 1.010. I'm now doing a vigorous 8 gallon boil in an 8 gallon pot, which hasn't boiled over yet!

Of course, I now expect to run out of propane before the boil is up, and end up flame out steeping the flavor and aroma hops...

Kegging up a Pale Ale and an Amber to take to a wine show then standing around schmoozing and serving beer to wine snobs.

I am not looking forward to this event, does it show?

Hey it's been proven that wine snobs can be converted! Just check out the video from the black guy at Brooklyn brewery. He does it all the time. chin up lad! I got the local spring water I need to brew my robust porter tomorrow,& got the vanilla beans scraped & choped & into their jar with some vodka to dissolve the pasty part.:mug:

What did I do for beer today ? Well i saw an old beer trying to cross the road so I helped it on across ..... and then into the alley where I pulled off it's head and slurped down it's guts .

I hit my LHBS for the rest of the ingredients to brew my Snowbound Porter. Bought some SNPA & Leinenkuge;'s hoppin helles. First brew I bought with Hoppin in the title & wasn't from Hoppin Frog in Akron...http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/PICT0001_zpsf8db13ab.jpg.html] [/URL]
I believe I had this exact glass. Go dollar tree. :)

Glad you remembered the lube....

Bigger is always better ;)

We have 6 20lb tanks.
TWSS

Picked up the specialty grains for Gandhi-bot clone 2.0 and an American brown I will be brewing for my wife. Went to a one year anniversary party for a local brewery, Beer'd Brewing.

Checked the gravity on my hefeweizen, DIPA and Samuel Smith India Ale clone just now. All get to be bottled soon. Also been working figuring out what barleywine I'll be making soon; it'll be the last batch I'll be able to afford for a while so I want to make something really fun, so been thinking about it a lot.. Kinda want to make a Bigfoot clone from Sierra Nevada since BYO has a nice sounding recipe and it's good stuff.

Lets see... Yesterday I racked my RIS into a carboy (very very tasty) kegged 5 gallons of my 'something else' beer, brewed 10 gallons of house porter, scrubbed 2 carboys, and broke down the last 2lbs of bulk hops.

Cleaned/Sanitized a kicked keg along with the keezer beer line and finally got around to emptying the cap catcher, heheheheheh...........

2013-11-10 11.09.27.jpg

Gave away four hop crowns I propagated this summer- traded homebrews in the process.

Scoured my tun and reorganized my airlock parts collection.

Visited my aging beers in the cellar to give praise to the yeast deities residing there. _/\_

I cleaned up my my brew closet thanks to a super vigorous fermentation of the hefeweizen I brewed the other night. It went through the airlock and all over everything within a 3 foot radius. Lesson learned!

I cleaned up my my brew closet thanks to a super vigorous fermentation of the hefeweizen I brewed the other night. It went through the airlock and all over everything within a 3 foot radius. Lesson learned!

First time/ only that happened to me I walked down to my basement thinking it smells waaay to good down here.

Took my 18 mo old daughter to the LHBS to pick up ingredients for Orfy's Hobgoblin. She loved the grain room and yeast fridge. Not gonna lie, I might be brainwashing her into an obsession for craft beer...

Transferred my hops from pots to the good mother earth. We'll see what 2nd year brings.
Also bought some rolled oats for a toasted oatmeal cookie porter (yes I've been reading Radical Brewing). Any recipe suggestions are welcome.

Took my 18 mo old daughter to the LHBS to pick up ingredients for Orfy's Hobgoblin. She loved the grain room and yeast fridge. Not gonna lie, I might be brainwashing her into an obsession for craft beer...

My wife and almost-3-year-old came with me to the LHBS yesterday because I needed to get more yeast for a stalled porter on the way home from church. My daughter recognized the bottle cappers and knew exactly what they are for. She also knew the smack pack I bought contained yeastie beasts, which is what we call them at home.

I was so proud.

Pitched the yeast this morning.

Gotta wash out a couple more bottles from my Cougar Country IPA last night. boy,did it ever turn out great! Maybe brew the robust porter tomorrow. Didn't feel up to it today.

Brewed up Gandhi-bot clone 2.0 today. Pitched 6 hours ago and the yeast are already going to town. I rarely time these things properly but I was able to pitch my starter at high kreusen today, so that's pretty cool.

nukebrewer said:
Brewed up Gandhi-bot clone 2.0 today. Pitched 6 hours ago and the yeast are already going to town. I rarely time these things properly but I was able to pitch my starter at high kreusen today, so that's pretty cool.

When you pitch at "high krausen" do you throw the whole starter in when you pitch?

Back