what Hop has the dirty feet/socks smell??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjaytuner

Reaction score
is there a particular hop that imparts dirty feet/socks type of smell....edited to add: "catpissy smell"

reason i ask is i tryed this either ipa, or porter at a local microbrewery....and just in your face smack of Funk!!!! i tasted it, & wasn't super terrible, the taste didn't necessarily translate to the smell, but damn that smell was pretty up front, my wife refused to even try it......

they use: Willamette; Cascade; Galena, Fuggles,chinook, Cascade,Citra........

is this a "hop", or just a bad brewed batch??

Thanks for any understanding....

To me, oxidized hops have that smell.

And wait, you couldn't discern between IPA or porter?

no no, i know the difference it was just a couple months ago now, & dont remember what i was drinking at the time exactly.... might of been "this or that"

now that i remember a little more.....Along with the dirty feet smell, it almost smelled like cat piss a little bit believe it or not......

There is an IPA that J Dub's brewing makes out of Sarasota called up top IPA that has this funk smell to it. It smells like salty seaweed to me personally. I don't dig it. It is their flagship beer, so some people must like it.

is there a particular hop that imparts dirty feet/socks type of smell....edited to add: "catpissy smell"

reason i ask is i tryed this either ipa, or porter at a local microbrewery....and just in your face smack of Funk!!!! i tasted it, & wasn't super terrible, the taste didn't necessarily translate to the smell, but damn that smell was pretty up front, my wife refused to even try it......

they use: Willamette; Cascade; Galena, Fuggles,chinook, Cascade,Citra........

is this a "hop", or just a bad brewed batch??

Thanks for any understanding....

I know exactly what your talking about..I actually just posted in the "which hops do you dislike" thread and said the one that taste like dirty dish water. But this kind of sounds like it might be the same hop...or hop combination I had that was soooo bad.

Chinook is sometime said to be catty.

Fuggles have a unique funky aroma and taste, the aroma is a bit like a compost pile but not catty.

Citra can have a diesel like aroma or sometime more like a citronella mosquito candle.

Simcoe does that for me for sure, moreso in a young beer. I really like simcoe, but it makes me pretty nervous when sampling during fermentation. I find that the "bad" part goes away after a week or so and it also smooths out well with other hops, but man it can be bad.

Fuggles is one of my go-to hops also. I don't get the catpiss/dirty sock from it, but it can be pretty earthy.

To me the dirty feet/socks are old hops. The cat piss character is more likely the variety of hop but not due to age and some people are much more sensitive to it than others.

You may have gotten both off flavors from the same hop, and the amount of those hops. It would have been interesting to know the schedule with amounts.

I remember we had one bag of hops that the cheesy sell was so offensive, just upon opening the bag. Perhaps it's always a good idea, when brewing...to check ingredients and follow your nose, it always knows.

siebelinstitute.com
Catty
BLACK CURRANT, CATTY, CASSIS, ASTRINGENT, TART/FRUITY, HERBAL

Active compound p-Mentha-8-thiol-3-one
Common sources A flavor characteristic found at higher and identifiable levels in specific hop varieties
Concentration 0.10 mg/L
Hop varieties Galena, Brewers Gold, Bullion
Exposure control No specific measures for skin protection required. Avoid eye contact.
Disposal after use Standard liquid waste disposal

Isovaleric acid
CHEESY, OLD HOPS, SWEATY SOCKS

Active compound Isovaleric Acid
Common sources Use of old, degraded hops
Concentration 3 mg/L
Threshold in beer 1 mg/L
Exposure control No specific measures for skin protection required. Avoid eye contact.
Disposal after use Standard liquid waste disposal

I never got the catty aroma from Simcoe until I had it in an all-Simcoe APA recently and wham! there it was. (And I have cats so certainly "catty" describes it well). I don't get old socks out of any in your list though. I agree that sounds like aged/improperly stored hops with a "cheesy" character.

Back