What have you done to me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzelina

Reaction score
Prior to December of 2013, I was perfectly content with drinking My Miller Lite. I would occasionally dabble with a Guinness a Micro brew, but stuck with my staple. Then in December for my birthday, my wife asks what i would like.... Hmmmmm I have heard home brewing beer was no all that difficult. I would like to give i a try. In comes the Kit from Monster brew .com American Amber Ale Extract . Three weeks later hey that wasn't hard. try that again. Forward to March. Four beer batches in, I now have a mash tun to go with the buckets and carboy gypsum, iodine, and other chemicals. Tubing, spoons, stirrers , burners propane tanks, and other misc. stuff. I am now putting together a keezer. Last Miller Lite i had tasted like water. What was in that Kool-aide. Oh. and I used to hate hoppy beers. My next brew will most likley be a west coast IPA. Is there help for me:confused:

Sorry j. There may be no hope for you. I was you a couple of years ago (before I got sucked in too) and my experience says it only goes forward from here. I am at a point where this summer I will be building a new brewshed in the back yard to house equipment, parts, and supplies. I may also be trying to build a smaller shed - insulated on the walls, floor, and ceiling. With the help of a small air conditioner and thorough insulation, I should be able to make a reasonable walk-in cooler (you can find all kinds of weird stuff on YouTube). I buy my 2row in 100lb batches and hops in multiple pounds. I see no clear cut end in sight. My only real consolation is in a quote I ran across somewhere in these forums that said: "Before I learned to brew I was poor, lonely, and sober. Now I'm just poor." Apologies to whomever I stole that from. I try to think of that as some sort of win - or maybe it's just a Gatsby issue. One thing is certain; I'm a brew junkie now and I'm gettin' my fix again tomorrow. WooHoo!! Hang on for the ride buddy. Good luck.

Cost wise it's not as bad as freebase cocaine, well, there are solvents, chemicals, reagent grade acids, glassware, tubes and wires, okay, freebase doesn't use wires due to the possible fires and explosions of the ether, but that nosy ass neighbor will tell the cops you have a meth lab in your garage. (it wouldn't be the first time that happened) Remember, "If you're like Richard Pryor, set your dumb ass on fire, cocaine." Sorry off topic, ;) My wife bought me a beer kit too, and I really love her, too. And my wife as well. There is a certain sense of accomplishment that goes along with a beer well brewed...

You're a goner for sure. Fortunately you have lots of quality beer in your future.

Cost wise it's not as bad as freebase cocaine, well, there are solvents, chemicals, reagent grade acids, glassware, tubes and wires, okay, freebase doesn't use wires due to the possible fires and explosions of the ether, but that nosy ass neighbor will tell the cops you have a meth lab in your garage. (it wouldn't be the first time that happened) Remember, "If you're like Richard Pryor, set your dumb ass on fire, cocaine." Sorry off topic, ;) My wife bought me a beer kit too, and I really love her, too. And my wife as well. There is a certain sense of accomplishment that goes along with a beer well brewed...

This is funny ive noticed several people on here talking about having the cops called on them because someone thought they were making meth. also to the original poster there is no hope for you.

I used to love Corona Light - we started brewing small-scale a little over a year ago. Now the entire spare bedroom is dedicated to brew equipment, a fermentation chamber, a conditioning chamber, etc.

So yeah - you're doomed! But it's a GOOD doomed!

That sounds like me 2 years ago.

I started with 1 gallon batches, and now I'm lagering. :) love this hobby

Yeah, ignorance was bliss, eh? Used to be able to bring home a case for what, $14? Now I'm buying bottles that cost more than that.

I don't turn my nose up at BMC like some people, but I also can't bring myself to buy it anymore. There's just so much better out there!

There are too many amazing beer styles out there, pet alone interpretations and brands to limit yourself to a single beer. I really don't understand how so many people cab find a standby, and never look for anything else ever again. Then again I bought interesting beer for the sake of trying it before homebrew. Now I have the same problem times 1000, and seem to be almost unable to spend less than $3 on a single. So it's probably gonna get worse for you on that front.

Now you will be buying all the craft beer around you that you can to do "research" on new styles and things you want to do. After you try everything available in your market you start trading for things you can't get where you are to try even more things. You're wallet and liver may not like you, but your mouth will certainly be more happy. Welcome to the obsession!

Brew Hooligan already going down that path. lucky, or unlucky for the wallet that several bars in the area, carry a nice supply of craft beers, and then there are the beverage stores. On the learning the taste characteristics of hops, yeast and grains.

Latest posts

Back