What have I done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandorr

Reaction score
During the lockdown I decided to start learning home brewing. I started with couple of Mangrove Jack's pouches, all them turned out to be a quite good beer, but this is subjective.

I wanted to raise the stakes a bit, so I found a recipe online stating to be a perfect no-boil NEIPA recipe. I did not have big expectations, but it turned out be nice until I bottled for carbonation with sugar, because now it seems it got rotten or something like that and I do not understand what have I done wrongly.

Here the steps of the entire process:
- Sanitized every equipement with Chemipro OXI
- Warmed up 10 l of Norda mineral water (it has very low amount of minerals in it) to about 70 C and dissolved 2 kg of wheat DME. Reheated the wort to around 70 C again and did 20 minutes of whirlpooling with 45 g of Tomahawk hops
- Since I do not have an immersion chiller yet, I brought the wort outside to cool down below 23 C. I did not seal it firmly, left about a 1 cm for the steam to exit
- Used half a pack of Safale S-04 yeast to start fermentation.
- After about 1.5 days, I added a 50 g Simcoe, 25 g Citra and 20 g Tomahawk as a dry hop charge.
- Left it to ferment for 5.5 days and then bottled it.

I read that I should drain the beer directly from the fermenter to cause as less oxidation as much as I can, so I removed the airlock and started draining the beer into sanitized bottles which I previously filled with dissolved sugar. I made the sugar syrup above 100 C, so I would say that was also sanitized.

Now what I do not understand is this:
This is how it looked like during bottling:
IMG-0100.PNG
The smell was extremely hoppy and citrusy as the taste.

And this how it looks like 4 days into the carbonation:
IMG-0101.jpg
The smell reminds me to candy and has a very unpleasant taste as well.

It appears to be heavily oxidized, as evidenced by the colour and your description of the flavor. NEIPA is a difficult beer style to handle on the cold side of brewing, and particularly when bottling. It's considered an advanced style for that reason. The very large amount of hops are especially susceptible to oxidation and staling.

I wanted to raise the stakes a bit, so I found a recipe online stating to be a perfect no-boil NEIPA recipe. I did not have big expectations, but it turned out be nice until I bottled for carbonation with sugar ...
With regard to bottling NEIPAs, there are topics here (and over at /r/homebrewing) where people are talking about how they successfully bottle NEIPAs. I can dig through my notes this evening if you are interested in the links I have found.

Check the pictures in the first post of this thread. They will look familiar and you may find a few suggestions on how to prevent a similar situation from occurring again.

Back