What happens to old grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmosu

Reaction score
I purchased 40 lbs of cracked grain back in June, but never got a chance to brew w/it due to a back injury. It's been sealed in a bag, but not vacuum sealed. It's not likely I'll brew with it anytime soon, so I was going to give it away. The only problem is how long I've had it. I read that 2 months is about the max for grain once cracked. Is this grain no longer any good?

If it was stored rather cool, not in a hot garage, attic, etc., it should be fine, likely for over a year. Taste it and if it tastes stale feed it to the chickens.

I've some old milled malt that's at least five years old, not vacuum packed and it's still fine. It loses some diastatic power over time, so mix in some fresh.

Thanks for all the replies. Tasted it and it seems fine to me. A friend from homebrew club is coming over tomorrow to pick it up.

Back