What happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapper299

Reaction score
I bought a can of Muntons old export style stout extract, 3lbs of dark spraymalt and a fresh packet of Coopers ale yeast. I did not boil per the directions, sanitized everything, added the water and generally followed the directions- I have done this before, except for one part. I added the full three pounds of malt instead of just 2.2lbs. I did not see that this would hurt anything and presto! NADA. Nothing is happening and we are at day 6. temp of the wort was brought down to around 65 degrees and has stayed there. I even added a packet of Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast to see if it would help.
Any thoughts?

Sounds like the yeast have all they need to do their work. I don't think the extra malt would have anything to do with it. I would pitch more yeast if I were you. Something happened that killed your yeast with the first pitch. I am sure more experienced members will have other thoughts as well, but that is where I would start.

The red star was pitched after 4 days of no activity, I have seen three to four bubbles through the air lock, but nothing to indicate a strong fermentation. I know I cooled the initial water that was boiled to disolve the malt syrup and spraymalt, to about 90-100 degrees when the rest of the water was added, then I let it sit until it was about 70F degrees. I started the yeast culture in some boiled water that had cooled to 105F degrees and let it foam while the wort cooled to the right temp.

I am baffeled, nothing like this has happened before.

Take a gravity reading. Should be around 1.010 (+-.002) if the fermentation snuck past you while you were sleeping. Or taste it. If it doesn't taste sweet anymore, you got sneaky yeast.

I would still try to pitch more yeast. Nothing fancy, don't make a "starter" just sprinkle some yeast on top and give it a stir. Maybe your starter water was higher then 105 when you added the yeast. I just use lukewarm water, anything higher will kill your yeast. It is also critical to not pitch your yeast until the wort is around 75 degrees. Like I said before, everything is there for the yeast to munch on, something happened with the yeast you pitched.

Pitched some Red Star champagne yeast (it's what I had on hand) and got an initial foaming after about 30 minutes, then it subsided into just barely showing a few spots of foam on the top. The air lock is full of CO2 but nothing like regular bubbles is happening 24 hours later. Hmmmmm, might be time to just dump it and try again- this is just not in my nature to let things go though, I feel like I should be able to figure out what went wrong so I don't waste any more money and time.

I second that... Did you take a hydrometer reading? Maybe you have a leak somewhere. Tasting the wort is a good idea too. Maybe warm the wort up to 75 degrees. Did you oxygenate the wort before pitching the yeast? If you didn't, there may not be enough oxygen in the wort to support vigorous fermentation. Giving the fermenter a good shake for 30 seconds or so would change that. Is there any krausen or crud forming on the top or settling to the bottom? If so, the yeast is working.

I would definitely NOT throw the batch out. Find out what's wrong, fix it, and drink the fruits of your labor in a month or so.

Good luck!

Success! Maybe. I pitched the champagne yeast and it worked pretty well. After 4 days we tasted and took the reading- no bubbles anymore and still not completely dry 1.09.
Primed and Bottled anyway.We will see.
Dan

Did you stir and/or shake the wort before pitching originally to get plenty of oxygen into it? I really think there needs to be plenty of aereation to help the yeast feed properly. I dunno, maybe just a myth, but I haven't had a stuck batch yet. Glad you finally got it going.

sapper299 said:
Success!
Dan

Glad to hear you stuck with it and didn't toss it out!! It will probably be the best you have ever made, then you will be off scratching your head, going, "If only I could repeat that process" :D

cheers, dave

Sapper, I'm sure you meant to put 1.009, right? If the beer is down to 1.009 I'd say it's pretty well done. If you're beer is at 1.090, something is seriously wrong.

As far as oxygen and yeast goes, the yeast require oxygen to start the fermentation. And during the boiling process, you boil out almost all of the oxygen. So if you don't oxygenate the wort, let the wort cool down and pitch the yeast, it will take much longer for the yeast to kick in. You should oxygenate the wort once it's cooled by bubbling o2 through it, siphoning it and letting it splash in the fermenter, or simply shaking the fermenter vigorously for a little while to splash the wort around.

Once yeast activity starts, you should NOT oxygenate the beer. Avoid splashing, shaking, or disturbing the beer in any way.

Back