What happened to The Great HBT Stogie Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_4063.jpg

I love helping new people get started in this hobsession. I've been lucky to have been mentored by a gentleman from Cuba who has taught me a ton and feel it's only right I share that information with anyone who is willing to listen and put in work. My biggest advice is don't rush casing your leaf

I believe I've read quite a few of your post on BOTL. I'd love pick your brain on blending. I've been all over the net searching for blends. It's been hit or miss with information. I've got a few ideas but would love to hear what you think.

I believe I've read quite a few of your post on BOTL. I'd love pick your brain on blending. I've been all over the net searching for blends. It's been hit or miss with information. I've got a few ideas but would love to hear what you think.
I've got lots of blending info on botl but am always willing to chat about it more. Feel free to message me here or there

Hammer time! Usually I prefer smaller ring gauges but this blend works well at 54rg. Tried the crown cut tonight to see if it's just a gimmick and I think there is some significant airflow happening here
20180731_205122.jpeg

Ok guys.
Not sure if you all have been watching the national news but a MASSIVE fire has swept through our town. Over 110,000 acres of land has been burned. Over 1000 homes. most of our towns people has been displaced. My family had been evacuated 2 time because of this fire.
I know how giving the cigar community is. I am reaching out here to those that can donate a few sticks to some of my Grindstone and my Rotary brothers that have lost their homes and their entire humidors of cigars in the Carr Fire. I have several friends in my Grindstone cigar club and my Rotary club that have lost EVERYTHING! Their entire contents of their liquor cabinet, humidors, smoking rooms, lighters and really everything is gone. I am personally a LOT of the contents of my humidor to help them get some replacements. I am not asking for you to do the same but if you can spare a 5 pack or so to this that would be KILLER! If you have an old humidor you're not using anymore, really anything cigar related would be killer!
I personally think the best way to heal in a tragic event like this is to know you have people on your side helping you get back on track, even if you don't know them.
Just shoot me a PM if you want to send a few sticks.

Cheers
Jay

Love the name! Love the size! Now, what's the blend?
This blend is 1 Dominican ligero, 1/2 corojo viso, 1/2 corojo seco, 1/2 nica habano seco, nica binder, and wrapped in ecuadorian habano ligero. Fillers from WLT, binder and wrapper from LO

BH,

That is one pretty looking cigar. If my first hand rolls look half as nice. I'll be happy. I see some that look just awful on other sites.

I only have a few samples (1/4#)of those tobaccos ordered. I took the easy route this time and ordered all from LO. Next order will be a spit. If I can get a decent looking and tasting smokes from this order.

BH,

That is one pretty looking cigar. If my first hand rolls look half as nice. I'll be happy. I see some that look just awful on other sites.

I only have a few samples (1/4#)of those tobaccos ordered. I took the easy route this time and ordered all from LO. Next order will be a spit. If I can get a decent looking and tasting smokes from this order.
It will take some time. The leaf we have available to us is all pretty good to outright amazing. We are really lucky at the moment compared to when I started 4 years ago. Keep in mind I roll 30-50 sticks a week on average and have years under my belt and my first sticks looked like something that passed through the hind end of a dog.

It will take some time. The leaf we have available to us is all pretty good to outright amazing. We are really lucky at the moment compared to when I started 4 years ago. Keep in mind I roll 30-50 sticks a week on average and have years under my belt and my first sticks looked like something that passed through the hind end of a dog.

My cigar group calls them Dog Rockets!

Ok guys.
Not sure if you all have been watching the national news but a MASSIVE fire has swept through our town. Over 110,000 acres of land has been burned. Over 1000 homes. most of our towns people has been displaced. My family had been evacuated 2 time because of this fire.
I know how giving the cigar community is. I am reaching out here to those that can donate a few sticks to some of my Grindstone and my Rotary brothers that have lost their homes and their entire humidors of cigars in the Carr Fire. I have several friends in my Grindstone cigar club and my Rotary club that have lost EVERYTHING! Their entire contents of their liquor cabinet, humidors, smoking rooms, lighters and really everything is gone. I am personally a LOT of the contents of my humidor to help them get some replacements. I am not asking for you to do the same but if you can spare a 5 pack or so to this that would be KILLER! If you have an old humidor you're not using anymore, really anything cigar related would be killer!
I personally think the best way to heal in a tragic event like this is to know you have people on your side helping you get back on track, even if you don't know them.
Just shoot me a PM if you want to send a few sticks.

Cheers
Jay

Pm sent.... Lets help these folks out y'all

Back from a week of bikes, beer and cigars. Dropped some cigars off with jaybird for the relief. Hard to describe the fire devastation of the last few years that’s still present.
View attachment 583569
I CANNOT thank you enough man! I will post up some picts of all the humidors we stuffed and all the guys we were able to help get back to some normalcy with your help! It was great to finally get to meet the man that completely changed my world with a 5 pack of cigars all those years ago! You rock man!

Cheers!
Jay

MeandTodd.jpg

This is just 1 of the guys in our Grindstone club that lost his home. Sunday we had a HUGE BBQ at his burned up house. Kind of a long story but a great one!

Todd grew up in the house and then got the house from his dad when he passed away. He and his wife absolutely LOVED the house! Back when Todd's dad was alive, every Monday evening all the guys in the neighborhood would get together at this house and have "TRASH DAY" it was just an excuse to get together and get "trashed"! Ok so fast forward 10 years. Todd is a member of our "GRINDSTONE CLUB" its our cigar club. Come to find out there are 4 other "Grinders" in his neighborhood so once a month on their trash pick up day they would all get together smoke cigars and just hang resurrecting "TRASH DAY". So about 3 weeks ago Todd's house burned to the ground in the "CARR FIRE" Well Todd wanted to do 1 last "TRASH DAY" at his house so I jumped in an suggested a big ass BBQ with all the Grinders and our Gem Stones (our wives) well that is exactly what we did! 1 BIG ASS BBQ with a LOT of us Grinders. That box I was able to present to him outside his burned up house was AWESOME! I brought Todd to tears that you guys, people he doesn't know would be so giving and thoughtful! I have to give a HUGE shout out to all the folks at CheapHumidors.com they sent me 8 yes 8! Humidors for my friends and people in this community that lost all their stash! Boveda! Boveda sent me a 100 pack box of 69% packs AND like 20 or 30 1 year storage bags! So all the guys I pack humidors for wont need to buy packs for probably a year! How totally killer is that? Then you guys that all sent and are sending sticks that are in route! I am totally blown away with this community! The HBT cigar community is totally a 1 of a kind group! @Sprouthog I honestly think you started me on this amazing journey and brother It's a deep rabbit hole but I am glad to have my hand in it!
I have 5 close friends that have lost all their stuff or were displaced destroyed and/or affected by this devastating fire. So together we are working on making their air smell a whole lot better!

Again you guys I cannot thank you enough!

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Back