What happened to The Great HBT Stogie Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a touch loose but not much. To me it tasted like partagas but I've only had two vitolas. A touch too humid but considering the climate it's hard to escape. It was nice with some true Havana Club on the rocks either way. Picture during a late night storm while chatting with some performers. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1499228101.981179.jpg

@curtis2010 dude!! These hand rolls you sent me are aging amazingly well! Smoked this last weekend while we were white water rafting the Trinity river! AMAZING SMOKE! LOVED IT!

Thanks again buddy for the gift!

Cheers
Jay

Curtishandroll.jpg

Trinity.jpg

Good cigar. Gonna have to work one in this week.

Til then still on the cc binge.
View attachment 407023

I was about to comment on all the CC's you have been posting! Yes I see a binge for sure... LOL

I have been to for the most part. most everything in the last month aside from a few have all been CC's. And to think about a year ago I hand had one I liked...Now I am having a hard time finding one "I DON'T" :D

Cheers
Jay

Decided to brave the heat last night to check in on the 16s in preparation of digging into the 17s. It was good, but I remembered enjoying it much more last year. Instead of a hoppy blonde ale I need to pair it with a stout or porter and see how I feel.

View attachment 1499948059545.jpg

@curtis2010 dude!! These hand rolls you sent me are aging amazingly well! Smoked this last weekend while we were white water rafting the Trinity river! AMAZING SMOKE! LOVED IT!

Thanks again buddy for the gift!

Cheers
Jay

Cool. Glad to hear they are aging well. I need to buy two batches and just hide one away for while.

Was only able to find two places, in the parts Malaysia where we stayed, for things cigars. Odd bit of cultural learning was that "cigar" sounds exactly the same as the malay word "segar" which means fresh. Thus when a foreigner asks where to buy cigars they are met with the equivalent question of "fresh what". It wasn't til the second week in that I got past the language barrier to learn that the majority refer to all things cigars as "cheroots". LOL.

The first place I came across cigars for sale was at the duty free at KLIA. Where a box of 25 Cohiba Behike sold for the equivalent of $1000 USD. Uh, nope!

The second place was a odd little Cuban Museum in the middle of the historic district of Melaka where in addition to selling a small variety of Cuban cigars (Cohiba, Hoyo, Monte) they also allowed patrons to roll 1 cigar of their own, for a price. It was a horrible example of a hand roll but it smoked amazingly.

Just another F'ing day in paradise!

Spent all day running all over for permits and construction materials....struck out on all counts. But...I did score some beer and cigars. Must be a sign...Im meant to drink beer and smoke cigars today! 😆

Beers: a nice selection of mostly Panamanian beers (Casa Bruja and Rana Dorada)...plus a Monks Cafe...an unusual find here.

Cigars: A few Pride of Panama's to get me thru the weekend. Another order of custom rolled stubbies should be ready early next week.

BTW: "Mañana" does not mean tomorrow....it means "not today gringo". 😕

View attachment 1500584523708.jpg

View attachment 1500584556704.jpg

I thought the motto down there was "Permits? We don't need no stinking permits!"

Depends on where you are exactly. My place in the jungle in Guatemala on the outskirts of a village of all of 200 people...there are no enities to even issue permits. Here in Volcan, Panamá...more urbanized...gotta get permits.

Depends on where you are exactly. My place in the jungle in Guatemala on the outskirts of a village of all of 200 people...there are no enities to even issue permits. Here in Volcan, Panamá...more urbanized...gotta get permits.

I know it's miles and countries away but my neighbor just got back from Mexico looking at some expensive properties. Said permits were non existent.

I know it's miles and countries away but my neighbor just got back from Mexico looking at some expensive properties. Said permits were non existent.

Yeah, highly variable. More common in more densely populated areas. In Guatemala the plan for my house was literally drawn on a napkin. Here in Panama, plans drawn by an architect and submitted to the municipo y bomberos for approval...and a hefty fee for said approval.

The thing I enjoy about no permits is you can build whatever you want whenever you. Code enforcement is not the same here as the USA...its cursory and selective at best. Mostly local houses near where we are building...not a one of them has any permits, but if I as a foreigner skip them...big fines will follow.

The main house in Guatemala below (pre rock and paint on concrete)...try getting permits to build that where you live!

View attachment 1500667952513.jpg

View attachment 1500668016833.jpg

municipo y bomberos = city fire department?

From an International Residential Code (2009) standpoint, I see little wrong with that house aside from the thatch roof and entry door sizing.

municipo y bomberos = city fire department?

From an International Residential Code (2009) standpoint, I see little wrong with that house aside from the thatch roof and entry door sizing.

Municipality and Fire Dept.

Had to do a major renovation of a multifamily property in Austin TX in 2015...Code Enforcent was a constant hassle. Contractor had to revise and resubmit plans due to a 1/16" build difference....geez...really?!

Had this Friday night after checking out a custom guitar manufacturer since I'm in the market for a new axe and ready to step up to something good. This is one of the best cigars I've had in a long time. A molasses sweetness that was really nice

View attachment 1500842365399.jpg

Back