What Grain to purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunder001

Reaction score
I would like to purchase five 55 lbs sacks of grain from Northern Country Malt. Can some tell me which grains I should buy that will be a good mix for brewing most beers? I'm new to all grain and need help.

2 bags continental pils, 2 bags 2 row domestic, 1 bag munich.

buy all your specialties in small quantity.

Just my opinion based on the styles i like to brew. i think buying anything other than base grain in bulk is overkill unless you brew large batches very frequently.

Depends entirely on what you brew on a regular basis. 2-row for sure.

i wouldn't go for 5 bags, since freshness is a factor even in uncrushed grains. if i did, though, i'd go for 2 2-row, a pils, a wheat, and a munich ( i really like my wheat beers )

i wouldn't go for 5 bags, since freshness is a factor even in uncrushed grains. if i did, though, i'd go for 2 2-row, a pils, a wheat, and a munich ( i really like my wheat beers )

This is what I do - pils, wheat, Munich and two-row. I use a lb or two of wheat in all my beers, in addition to 'wheat' beers. And I've become a big fan of using Munich as a base malt - have used it in a stout and a red ale with very good results. I'm going to use Munich as the base malt in an APA.

For heaven's sake, don't ask us! We're not you; we don't use your brewery; we don't have access to your data. ;)

Look through your brewing logs and see what you use most. Do percentages. Then prioritize your bulk grains by those percentages. For example, if you use, on average, 80% pale malt/10% Crystal/10% wheat, there's your breakdown.

After you've figured out what you use most, figure out how often you brew and how much you use at one time. Whole malt will go slack, eventually. Slack malt is as much wasted money as ordering fresh malt in smaller quantities.

Simple rule of thumb: If you're not going to use the whole bag in a year, don't buy a whole bag. Not even if you can store it optimally.

Cheers,

Bob

Latest posts

Back