What got you into homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What got you into homebrewing? (Select all that apply)

• A friend of mine who brews.

• I tried Mr. Beer and it all progressed from threre.

• I watched the brewing episode of Good Eats.

• I researched it myself based on my own interest in brewing.

• Visited a brewery and got interested that way.

• Other (please post!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
My son got into it last year, and bought me an equipment kit for Christmas. He went all grain not long after, and now I'm preparing to brew my first AG batch.

So one equipment kit, 8 extract kits, and lots of money later, and I'm officially gone off the deep end. :D

My Brother started brewing in college his sophomore year, started right with all grain. The following year as a sophomore myself i got the basic equipment for my birthday and started brewing extracts. I'll never forget how amazed my brother was when he first saw me brew an extract recipe and he saw how much easier it was, as well as how good it tasted.

Lets see, I guess I probably had a normal progression. After turning 22-23 I kind of got over my 30 stone every weekend stage and started trying micros, mostly due to a friend that bought mostly micros. Then we started frequenting a local bar/coffee house that only had Boulevard on tap. So we started drinking the wheat, then moved to the stout and so on. Fast forward to a few years ago, a friend started using a Mr Beer he got for Christmas, and was pretty excited about it at first. First batch or so was decent, but he kept trying to add things that didn't belong, so eventually he gave up. Then at Christmas time last year we were doing some shopping, and I saw the Mr. Beer kit again, thinking about what had happened with the friend but always wondering if I could make a better beer, I went home and started researching Mr. Beer. I fell upon the Mr. Beer thread on this forum, read as much as I could including How to Brew, and after a few months I found a cheap equipment kit (got my first one for $25 bucks) and was on my way. Now I am AG, and on batch 14 with no signs of stopping.

how else do you get booze when your under 21...naturally i started when i was 18 for drinkables. Loved it and have been brewing ever since.....(im no longer underage...relax)

I had thought about starting up home brewing for years. I had some sort of 'bag o beer' back in college and it turned out...well...it was some sort of beer in the end. So when I saw Mr Beer and the Beer Machine I was afraid those would end up producing the same crap I got out of my bag of beer. And real home brewing always 'appeared' difficult so I stayed away from it. Then I saw the Good Eats show and saw how simple home brewing could be (relative to what I thought it was). Then came the research. Followed by my first purchase into the home brewing world last March. Been nothing but fun since then.

When I was a kid my uncle made "beer". I was too young to taste it,but it did make me curious. MANY years later my son and his wife bought be a True Brew kit because he had heard me mention an interest once. It works well for me because I never really liked beer until craft beers and micro brews came along, then I discovered that what I didn't like wasn't beer,it was the commercial stuff they call beer,and I can make beer.

Back