What gear are you getting with your tax return?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
I think I am going to get a malt mill with my taxes.
I think I will also convert my 5g mlt into a hlt and set up my 70qt Coleman xtreme cooler as my mash tun and give fly sparging a try. I'll probably get a refractometer and a digital instant read thermometer as well

Any one else planning on making additions to their home brewery? I'm looking for other ideas.

I'm building a fermentation closet in my garage with an STC 1000 running heating and cooling so I can wheel my conical into it.

:(
Or I'll not a/c this summer. It's an air handler.
image.jpg

Am thinking another chest freezer and johnson controller, it's a pain dragging all my kegs out of the kegerator to use that as a ferm chamber. And maybe a blichmann burner.

Am thinking another chest freezer and johnson controller, it's a pain dragging all my kegs out of the kegerator to use that as a ferm chamber. And maybe a blichmann burner.

lol i still do that but finally found a 75 dollar chest freezer

A new roof for the house, not beer related but i a have a leak developing on the back porch right in front of the kegarator and this can't be tolerated!

I should get a decent return this year. I think I can do 300-400 toward my brewery.
I think a mill and some storage bins so I can buy 2 row in bulk will pay for itself in a matter of brews.

I think I can make a ferm chamber like the son of a ferm chamber. I work in a metal fab shop and can rig something together. Just need to build a stc 1000 rig.

I have an old desktop I can steal parts from and build a nice DIY stir plate to prop. yeast.

Beer gun and refractometer. Also, will finally build my fermentation chamber, which I'm thinking of using a small window a/c unit with a Johnson Controls temp controller, with the probe stuck down into a 5 gallon bucket of water in the unit. EDIT: Apparently I didn't think the probe part through, as now I'm realizing that wouldn't be at all accurate - doh! So, with the probe taped to the carboy and padded.

Basing my build off this, though I'll probably be slightly less ambitious in its size.

http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/Knews-Hound-Builds-the-Beast

I'm thinking of putting it towards a beer trip. Not necessarily brewing related, but we'll call it research.

The plan now is to fly into London, and pub crawl my way by Eurostar down to Florence Italy via Belgium, the Czech Republic, Poland, Germany, Austria and France.

It depends on how successful I am at living cheap over the next six months.

I'm hoping that I have enough in my return to help pay for metal roofing on the house....

I'm tired of having to get on the roof and break up ice dams and having water leaking through the ceiling and walls....

I'm thinking of putting it towards a beer trip. Not necessarily brewing related, but we'll call it research.

The plan now is to fly into London, and pub crawl my way by Eurostar down to Florence Italy via Belgium, the Czech Republic, Poland, Germany, Austria and France.

It depends on how successful I am at living cheap over the next six months.

I'd love to go to Oktoberfest one year but my refund won't even come close to that lol.

I've never been during Oktoberfest but I did make it to the Hoffbrau house in Munich once. It was madness. Growing up in Daytona Beach with spring break and bike week I've had my fill of crazy scenes.

I'm looking for something a bit more subdued this time.

I figure the return ought to pay for the plane fare and if I eat Ramen noodles three times a week for the next six months I may just be able to pull this off.

A new fence. Brewing equipment? O it is, I can brew outside in peace away from the nosy eyes and heckling of the little bastages behind me.

I've never been during Oktoberfest but I did make it to the Hoffbrau house in Munich once. It was madness. Growing up in Daytona Beach with spring break and bike week I've had my fill of crazy scenes.

I'm looking for something a bit more subdued this time.

I figure the return ought to pay for the plane fare and if I eat Ramen noodles three times a week for the next six months I may just be able to pull this off.

There are millions of ways to cook ramen. It can be done. I know I survived off it for years :D

A new fence. Brewing equipment? O it is, I can brew outside in peace away from the nosy eyes and heckling of the little bastages behind me.

I brew right on my back patio in my apartment. I'd kill to be allowed a fence.

Got a bunch of gear as Christmas gifts, so I'll probably grab a few sacks of grain and maybe a vittle vault or two.

What return? Can't even remember what year it was the last time I got a federal return. :(

I'm hoping that I have enough in my return to help pay for metal roofing on the house....

I'm tired of having to get on the roof and break up ice dams and having water leaking through the ceiling and walls....

Tried heat tape? Works wonders for me.

Not sure about tax return money. I used some of my Xmas bonus on christmas present and *some* of that is going back to me when tax returns get here. I am thinking about buying a handgun with some of it and I'm also looking at the large mouth glass fermenter at Northern Brewer/Midwest Supplies, and finishing up a couple of upgrades around here.

Tried heat tape? Works wonders for me.

If we can't get metal roofing, heat tape will have to suffice. I may have to cut some holes in the ceiling to see what the insulation looks like, and as the year goes on maybe add more to see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back