What gear are you getting with your tax return?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully building a bar on my back deck and a propane burner, my glass stove barely boils a gallon let alone 5+.

I just bought a burner from home depot for like 40 bucks. There were some reviews from some home brewers that said it works great. I will let you know when it arrives. I have an electric stove so it took on min to bring 5 gallons to a boil.

I just bought a burner from home depot for like 40 bucks. There were some reviews from some home brewers that said it works great. I will let you know when it arrives. I have an electric stove so it took on min to bring 5 gallons to a boil.

Over 90 min****

I'm getting a brand new baby boy with my tax return. Then I have to wait about 5 to 10 years for him to be able to do something productive like screw up mowing or half ass it vaccuming.

Wait...why am I having a kid again?? ;)

I guess I'll have to check Home Depot again, lol.

Definitely a grain mill, oh and an induction cooktop, and several pairs of shoes and a couple of new summer dresses.

SWMBO looking over my shoulder. :mad:

Ok so im reviving my old thread, as taxes have been filed and in a few weeks I will have a couple hundred to play with
I want to know if anyone can help me find the best deals on these things:
Grain mill
Digital instant read thermometer
pH meter
Refractometer
Bulk grain storage

I've seen these things on homebrew finds but I'm curious if anyone has any other ideas.

I'm also gonna look on Craigslist for a mini fridge so I can turn it into my kegerator with a stc 1000 build. Any thoughts on mini fridge models to look for/avoid would be helpful as well.

^ did you file today?

Refractomer, watch Homebrewfinds.com and they often have one posted for $30, ATC as well.

Bulk grain storage, I feel you cannot beat what Amazon offers.
pH meter, another Homebrewfinds.com lookout.
Digital instant read thermometer...thermapen has an open box sale, save $22. Thermpop is $24, I love mine. $24 is their introductory price right now.
Grain mill, I think there are deals that pop up now and then. Do you have one in mind? I'm considering the MM 2 2.0.

I realize you mentioned homebrewfinds.com but besides there, Amazon, and Froogle, I think you have a lot of bases covered.

I may have a few bucks left over after I buy my air handler and home warranty. I think I'll go for a grain mill first since I did just buy some unmilled grain (though my LHBS will mill it for me even if I didn't buy it there). I'd like to keg and move to 22 oz bottles for bigger beers. I'm over 12 ounce bottles taking over my house.

I'm getting a chest freezer to go with the Johnson controller for controlled fermentation. I'll also be adding tap #3 to the kegerator. As for the brew rig I plan on adding a new ss pump (broke the plastic one on my last brew session) and a blichmann therminator wort chiller.

^ did you file today?

Refractomer, watch Homebrewfinds.com and they often have one posted for $30, ATC as well.

Bulk grain storage, I feel you cannot beat what Amazon offers.
pH meter, another Homebrewfinds.com lookout.
Digital instant read thermometer...thermapen has an open box sale, save $22. Thermpop is $24, I love mine. $24 is their introductory price right now.
Grain mill, I think there are deals that pop up now and then. Do you have one in mind? I'm considering the MM 2 2.0.

I realize you mentioned homebrewfinds.com but besides there, Amazon, and Froogle, I think you have a lot of bases covered.

I may have a few bucks left over after I buy my air handler and home warranty. I think I'll go for a grain mill first since I did just buy some unmilled grain (though my LHBS will mill it for me even if I didn't buy it there). I'd like to keg and move to 22 oz bottles for bigger beers. I'm over 12 ounce bottles taking over my house.

If you have a trader joes nearby they sell filled 22oz for like $2-2.50... The Mission Street brown is not bad plus you get the bottle out of it, just stay away from that Botswain crap :)

I try to keep the return to a min. I don't want to owe or get a refund. If I do I'm planning on a stir plate and a sink colander to move into BIAB.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll be getting a very exciting "Reduction of amount owing on Line of Credit to $0." Man, will that make all the guys at work jealous...

You shouldn't be getting a return: they aren't paying you interest to keep your money all year.

I don't have a specific grain mill in mind, but I think my lhbs sets their mill so people will get slightly lower efficiency. Although one time one of the employees gave me a free half pound or so of rice hulls because he said the mill looked a little too crushed. But I digress.

I suppose I can keep checking HomeBrew Finds and scour (sp?) amazon for what I want. I was just looking for some first hand experience

I'll add a third tap to my kegerator and another keg.

We still need to see if we will be giving or receiving from the government this year.

My taxes are mostly done. Just a few more things to enter, still waiting on all the paperwork to come in. My postman is terrible. I get more of my neighbors mail than mine, frequently.

Either a bunch more bottles, or I am gonna start kegging. I am at least getting a mini fridge to keep the stockpile out of the kitchen fridge.

No return for me, set up my W2 last year so I don't give the government an interest free loan every year. So my homebrew purchases come year round!!

I get it, not everyone is getting a refund and a lot of you set your taxes so you don't owe and you don't get a refund either. That's not what I asked.

Im getting $15 back this year. Finally balanced to where I don't owe and I don't loan the government much money!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Electric! Going to create a Brewtroller 3-Vessel HERMS. Thanks Uncle Sam (for my money back...)

Also Hello, how is the thermopop?

It's faster than my dial thermometer, of course. I use it a lot actually in the kitchen and such. It is not a thermapen, but it sure works well for $24.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Combination work bonus and tax return will = a 4-5 keg kegging system and keezer.

I don't normally get a tax return, as I am not fond of uncle sam holding on to my money without paying any interest. This year, I was surprised that there will be a little coming back to me, so I am on the hunt for a new 60 or 80 qt boil kettle.

Wanted to get some equipment but instead it looks like it's going to an engagement ring lol a little bit sad for my hobby but overall it's for the best and I'm happy about the change of investment!

Wanted to get some equipment but instead it looks like it's going to an engagement ring lol a little bit sad for my hobby but overall it's for the best and I'm happy about the change of investment!

Might as well sell your stuff now. Nice knowing ya. Hahaha I'm only joking.

Might as well sell your stuff now. Nice knowing ya. Hahaha I'm only joking.

Haha I'm hoping it won't be that bad! Plus she has plans for a home brew of mine to be used for the engagement party so at least I get to keep the brewing equip! Now I'm just worried about my boats lol

Haha I'm hoping it won't be that bad! Plus she has plans for a home brew of mine to be used for the engagement party so at least I get to keep the brewing equip! Now I'm just worried about my boats lol

Forget the boats. Homebrew is much fresher than the open seas. Haha kidding.

Hah. We may well end up owing. We plan our withholdings intentionally to be +/- zero refund. Sometimes we get 50 back, sometimes we owe 50. I plan on doing everything this weekend, so we'll see what happens.

Sooo...probably nothing. Maybe some base malt.

I get the fact that its interest free loaning as some people have stated but getting an "unexpected" thousand dollars back is nice. And besides that's only like what 40 bucks per check that I'd be keeping. I'd spend that. This way I'm "forced" to save some money.

Back