What flavours would you like to try??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozinkent

Reaction score
Hello,
don't know about you guys/gals, I always think about different meads which would be fun to try, but I don't have the room to make them all.
so... if you come up with any you wish tot make, or have.. please share and inspire! :)

I for one, had an amazing muffin the other morning which inspired me want to make a spiced apple and pecan mead!
My sister made a strawberry and chilly vodka, which could be be v fun to make into a mead (strawberry and habanero)

regards

I am currently working on an Orange Mead... looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Hello,
don't know about you guys/gals, I always think about different meads which would be fun to try, but I don't have the room to make them all.
so... if you come up with any you wish tot make, or have.. please share and inspire! :)

I for one, had an amazing muffin the other morning which inspired me want to make a spiced apple and pecan mead!
My sister made a strawberry and chilly vodka, which could be be v fun to make into a mead (strawberry and habanero)

regards

I made a very nice cranberry/grapefruit mead last year. I'd really like to try a pomegranate mead.

Fixing to try a 1 gallon batch of yerba mate mead, possibly with ginseng .....yerba mate is great stuff....kinda like tea, but.....better :) I buy it by the kilo, so it's always on hand, just thinking about sourcing some ginseng root

Propolis...it is a product from the beehive, and now it is springtime in NZ, the bees collect it from the trees in great abundance. I just have to wait a while because the last round would be contaminated with varroa chemicals, so I have cleaned that off and waiting for the clean stuff to come in. It has a strongly medicinal, kind of hive like smell, but is produced not by bees, but poplar trees (and others, but poplars produce vast amounts of it). The taste of the raw product varies by tree species, but the poplars here produce a spicy, mouth numbing flavour, the effect is somewhat similar to Szechuan pepper, but not as strong. It is among the stickiest natural substances I have ever come across, even the bees enlist help getting it off their legs when they bring it into the hive. It is so sticky I have used it as a glue/sealant for a big full Imperial-pint-sized beer mug made from oak.

It is used primarily as a gap filler, but it has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, and is thought to increase immune function in humans. It is also supposed to be great for your teeth, being used in toothpastes and chewing gums

I think the 'insecty' smell and aromatics coming from the propolis added in secondary would complement the "hivey" aromatics coming from the honey really well.

Captions:
Beer: big (600ml?) bottle of Stoke Rd Brewery's Oatmeal Stout (Kiwi craft beer)

Note the dark bits on the mug, they are propolis. The pale yellow is wax. It was made with no powertools, and no synthetic resins/glue. It smell delicious! Excellent for my "stinger" honey and nettle lager.

DSCF7795.jpg

DSCF7791.jpg

I have two flavors that I am planning to make when my carboys free up.
1. Lingonberry melomel ( Bought a bottle of concentrate at IKEA of all places. )
2. An Apple Bochet.

I have two flavors that I am planning to make when my carboys free up.
1. Lingonberry melomel ( Bought a bottle of concentrate at IKEA of all places. )
2. An Apple Bochet.
I have a gallon of apple bochet (bochet cyser???) slowly finishing up in primary, gonna transfer it soon, have no idea how it will taste, but smells like it's gonna be good (kinda caramel appley, for lack of better description) ....first bochet attempt, have no idea what to expect, so the idiot in my head said,"... hey, why not use that 3 qt jug of organic cider in it???" Time will tell, I may lightly oak it with light toast american oak, I dunno...

I just started up 2 1gal batches this past week... a Sweet Cherry Melomel and a Bochet.
Next up is a 5gal batch of blueberry (planning to split it into 1gal batches after bulk again for a few months to try different add ins), a 5gal batch of Strawberry Melomel and then finally a 5gal batch of Skeeter Pee (not mead but hey;)).
I think I would like to add Cranberry/Something to that list too tbh.

Guavaberry mead. Guavaberries are impossible to get in the US, so it will remain on the wish list. :(

Better brewing through science!

i want to try making a strawbery and basil mead....

i had a stewbrey and basil icecream, it was amazing!

I have a basic one gallon batch of mead (honey,water,sugar, champagne yest) I also added two pounds of strawberries in primary but they don't seem to have added much flavor, if any. The flavor now after 3 months in primary is basic and dry, as anticipated.

I would like to have some sweetness so my wife likes it but not to sweet (I am a scotch drinker). Has anyone tried adding Chocolate/oak (maybe vanilla?) in secondary?

I had some lychee wine at a Chinese restaurant in Germany this summer, (They'd messed up my order, got it for free as an apology, it wasn't on the menu.) and it was quite nice. I think my next batch of mead might be a lychee melomel.

Other than that, I might be trying out some Schezwan peppercorns in a capsicumel later this year, both the wife and I love spicy foods, a spicy mead for drinking in front of the fireplace could be nice.

I had some lychee wine at a Chinese restaurant in Germany this summer, (They'd messed up my order, got it for free as an apology, it wasn't on the menu.) and it was quite nice. I think my next batch of mead might be a lychee melomel.

Other than that, I might be trying out some Schezwan peppercorns in a capsicumel later this year, both the wife and I love spicy foods, a spicy mead for drinking in front of the fireplace could be nice.

You can look up my Szechuan BOMM for a good recipe. Cheers!

Better brewing through science!

I've got a Korean idea I've been wanting to try.
Ginseng
Asian pear
Ginger
Goji berries

Back