What fermenter/coil are you using with your glycol chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a chiller on order and have an anvil bucket fermenter with the chilling coil. I'm pretty happy with it. moving on from the annoying ice cooler, I ordered a glycol chiller that can chill and cold crash two vessels at once. I want to set up a second ss fermenter, possibly even something that can handle 11 gallons of beer. Particularly interested in the coil/bulkhead location and connections. Not looking for super pricy conicals, post up what you bought or what you made. looking for some ideas
thanks.

IMG_1607.JPG
IMG_1648.JPG
Here is another option besides internal coil. This is what I came up with for chiller hook up, based on idea from another HBT member. 1.5 inch "discharge" tubing fits on 1 inch PVC. Sealing quick connects added for convenience. Threaded rod clamped to fermentor legs to help secure tubing. I later added some loops of 12 g solid wire (not pictured) to hold coils in place.

It comes on & off fermentor easily. Have also wrapped around kegs for post racking temp control. System is relatively cheap, and works well, but admittedly not that pretty.

Here you go. These little connectors are really cool

Attachments

• 20200409_184832.jpg
    20200409_184832.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 20200409_185016.jpg
    20200409_185016.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 57
Wrap copper tubing around the outside of your fermenter and insulate over it. My brewing friend does that with great success.

I wrapped my blichman with 20’ of 1/2” and soldered it to the outside. Covered the whole lot in that reflective plastic insulation and it works wonderfully. I like not having an internal coil to clean or any chance of the glycol ever leaking into my beer

nice. I'm warming to the idea of running some kind of tubing around the outside. any trouble lagering or getting under 40 degrees for cold crashing ?

I have a thermo well. Only time I tape a probe on the side is on my carboy . I sandwich the probe between the side and a sponge.

I use a thermowell. I’ve gotten mine down to about 44F using pure water in the chiller set to 38F. I routinely do lagers at 48F. 10 degree differential between chiller and beer temp seems to be the sweet spot for me. I’m inside in and air conditioned room now. Back when I was in the garage the key was insulate the crap out of it. Seal that insulation good too. At 90F with our humidity here it still works but I was battling condensation and, as result, mold constantly.

I tape sensor to outside, just below where sides become vertical, w insulation, since my fermentors do not have thermowell ports. Tested w laser thermometer and temps are pretty close.

I have the anvil system in 3 anvils, the spike coil in the flex, and for now an anvil coil in a 14 gallon Chapman. It works,it’s not ideal, but it works. Will be installing a temp twister very soon, it seems to be the same coil as the spike has.

View attachment 674887 View attachment 674888 Here is another option besides internal coil. This is what I came up with for chiller hook up, based on idea from another HBT member. 1.5 inch "discharge" tubing fits on 1 inch PVC. Sealing quick connects added for convenience. Threaded rod clamped to fermentor legs to help secure tubing. I later added some loops of 12 g solid wire (not pictured) to hold coils in place.

It comes on & off fermentor easily. Have also wrapped around kegs for post racking temp control. System is relatively cheap, and works well, but admittedly not that pretty.

What sort of condensation do you get? Do you live in a humid area?

Since the OP, ive been using the Anvil fermenter with its coil, connected to my ICEMASTER. It works, had to drill the lid for fittings for the glycol lines. Also have a 13g Kegmenter and had some custom work done to the 4" TC SPike coil lid. usually for 10g batches. works great for 5 & 10s though and use a spunding valve. i use some insulated wrap on both when cold crashing.

Last edited:
When I have chiller going, I also insulate fermentor, and temp sensor is under insulation, which helps too. I use the long strips of bubble wrap that sometimes come with morebeer orders and duct tape, not pretty, but easy to take on & off and works well.

Latest posts

Back