What exactly are the advantages to larger mill rollers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResumeMan

Reaction score
Howdy brewers,

So I think I've decided that my next acquisition will be a mill. For many years I've been using the big ol' mill at the LHBS, and I'd like to take more control of things (plus my efficiency has gone to hell lately and I'm thinking it may be the mill...)

Anyhow, I've mostly settled on the Monster Mill. I have concluded that the 3-roller mill is probably not worth the added cost and complexity. I batch sparge, so getting the perfect preservation of the hulls is less important than it is for some.

So now I need to decide whether to get the MM2 or MM2-2.0.

In my HBT searches I've seen several statements that "larger diameter is better." Here's a representative one by Martin. But nobody that I've been able to find has explained exactly what the benefits will be, and whether they'll be worth the added cost (to me).

So could someone enlighten me? Thanks a lot!

I can't speak to the difference on roller size, but I would say save your money and get the Cereal Killer. It's half the price, and works amazingly well.

I batch sparge, so getting the perfect preservation of the hulls is less important than it is for some.
First, unless you're doing BIAB, keeping the husks intact is just as important to keep your flow going during lautering for both batch or fly sparging. May be more so with batch, because you often have less surface area to draw from if you're not using a false bottom.

Larger rollers biggest advantage is that they give you a more progressive crush. Along with doing a better job of keeping the husks intact, there is less chance of a jam or having the slave roller stop spinning.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you’ll need a slower rotation to get the same surface speed with a bigger roller.

The 2" roller really pulls the grain in even if you have a very tight gap set. I love the crush you get with a very small gap and conditioned malt, but better get out the machinery to turn that mill.

I own both. The MM2 2.0 is several orders of magnitude better. I have only brewed 2 batches with it. I milled 85 lbs of grain in about 7 minutes. The crush was awesome. Customer service is excellent.

I own both. The MM2 2.0 is several orders of magnitude better. I have only brewed 2 batches with it.

Well given that it is about 56% more expensive that would seem to be a mark-up value ;) Leaning toward that...

You can't go wrong with either choice, really. Exponentially better than using the LHBS mill because 1) it's yours, and 2) you can adjust it how you like. The downside is that now you'll HAVE TO mill your own grain - an added step for brewday ;)

I'm using the MM2 and I think it's wonderful. My gap setting and brew process yield 84% efficiency into the fermenter. The only time I have slow lautering is with large wheat/rye grists, otherwise it's smooth sailing. My milling speed is quite slow using the harborfreight drill, but I gain more intact husk with the slower milling speed.

In the end, it's only money!

I own both. The MM2 2.0 is several orders of magnitude better. I have only brewed 2 batches with it. I milled 85 lbs of grain in about 7 minutes. The crush was awesome. Customer service is excellent.

+1 on the Monster Mill. I have the three roller w/ a direct drive motor setup. Works great and the crush is perfect!

Mill threads are kinda like transmission threads over at the diesel truck forum I host... LOL...

Cereal Killer - you wont be disappointed...

I can't recommend the JPS mill enough, the longer mill allows for more grained to be crushed. I can't speak to automating it, as I still use the hand crank (I did two brew sessions last time and I milled 35+ pds).

I have the adjustable model, which I use for BIAB and I get a great crush and efficiency.

Sent from the window of an airplane...

If you modify the JSP's hopper to actually utilize the full length of the rollers, hand cranking it will be much more difficult.

Back