What dry hop to pair with Saaz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foodplusbeer

Reaction score
I just brewed this Saison and was thinking about dry-hopping it. I really like Boulevard's Tank 7, which features both Amarillo and Citra. What do you think will pair well with Saaz? I was thinking Centennial. Any thoughts or suggestions?

12 gallon
OG: 1.050
YEAST: Wyeast 3711 / French Saison

Mash at 152
Pilsner: 65%
White Wheat: 22%
Vienna: 13%

Saaz: 4oz, 60min
Saaz: 4oz, 10min
Saaz: 3oz, 0min

Saaz is fairly delicate and spicy. Id go with santiam, styrian goldings, sterling, or something along those lines.

Either saaz, Hallertauer, or my favorite saaz and simcoe. I realize it doesn't seem like it would work but it does; deliciously.

Haven't dried hopped with saaz personally but have read other threads where people report a LOT of unpleasant grassy flavor from doing so. Maybe use the saaz in a whirlpool or late in the boil instead?

I dunno if id even consider dry hopping with saaz. Noble hops like that arent really made to be featured in hop forward beers. They are traditionally backdrops for yeast/malt flavors

My noble IPA turned out blech. Id say you are better off using a restrained hand late-boil than dry hopping.
Plus 1 oz centennial >> +3oz saaz in terms of hop flavor and taste

I did an American wheat a few years ago which was all saaz in the boil with cascade at flame out and dry hop. I worked well, so if cascade worked, centennial will work.

I should have clarified, I didn't plan on dry hopping with saaz. Was instead trying to dry hop with something else to compliment it. I do like hallertau or tettnang as classic combos, but was looking for a little more intrigue. I do like the idea of simcoe to go with the spice/earthiness. Might go that route.

Thanks for the responses! Will let you know how it goes!

I went with 2oz of Centennial in 11 gallons of beer. Not a ton of dry hops, but the flavor compliments the overall beer quite well. I get a a subtle but nice spicy, grassy, flowery hop aroma with a hint of citrus (like light lemon or orange). Really happy with the result.

I know the original poster wasn't planning to dry hop with Saaz, but I dry hopped my last beer with a low level of Saaz and it was a nice background flavor/aroma. I made a Vienna SMaSH with 1.25 oz Saaz pellets bittering and 1.25 oz Saaz pellets dry hopped. Right at 5%ABV. Very nice.

Back