What does your LHBS do to keep you coming back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked, I guess they raised their prices. $8 a case now. Still a hell of a deal IMO.

Thats what there online prices are, I shopped online first and saw they had decent prices but when I got there everything was much cheaper I picked up 3 cases 12oz, 1 case 22oz, a 6.5 gal glass carboy, 4ft blow-off, BB weizen kit, wpl300 tube, 1lb extra light DME, 4 packs coopers drops, carboy cap and only dropped $125

2 hour drive is worth the Bells pub trial beer alone, That awesome store makes it that much better!

wcrooker, your just in Niles ? I'm in South Bend, IN about a mile from Notre Dame. Do you ever go to Quality Wine & Ale in Elkhart, IN ?

Desrever said:
Thats what there online prices are, I shopped online first and saw they had decent prices but when I got there everything was much cheaper I picked up 3 cases 12oz, 1 case 22oz, a 6.5 gal glass carboy, 4ft blow-off, BB weizen kit, wpl300 tube, 1lb extra light DME, 4 packs coopers drops, carboy cap and only dropped $125

2 hour drive is worth the Bells pub trial beer alone, That awesome store makes it that much better!

wcrooker, your just in Niles ? I'm in South Bend, IN about a mile from Notre Dame. Do you ever go to Quality Wine & Ale in Elkhart, IN ?

Yeah I've been there, Bell's has better selection I think and the prices are better. But its not bad, it seems more wine focused. Your right about the pub too, they have better pub only beers then production beers to me. The food is decent as well.

Nothing yet. Last time I went needed to get beer line for my 2 new taps and they were charging $1.00 a foot. The only good thing is that they are there if I don't plan ahead.:drunk:

My LHBS is a 10 min drive from my work so i can stop by on my lunch hour. LME is less then $2.00/pound and is always fresh. other prices are good too, at least relative to other stores in my area.

I've just outgrown mine, finding that their malt and hops are limited in variety so I need to order bits online now. I'll still go there for the basics though just to say hello and buy bits of equipment as needed, conveniently I work opposite mine!

I can buy bulk grain, and it doesn't matter what grain I need, it just gets subtracted from 50 total pounds. Don't have to store it, don't need my own mill, etc.

Also, it's just fun to go in and hang out and learn stuff.

But what is really nice is all those great products online... I can touch them, look at them, and see the quality of the product instead of just a picture and description.

It's worth the extra $ to me for all those reasons

My LHBS is 45 minutes away for me:

Last trip there:
  • Owner bad mouthed local club
  • Kits old
  • Yeast Old

Seems like a nice guy just in the wrong market area. I have started to shop online.

Dean

We have a few within an hour....

I usually go to the one (Brewers Connection) at Universityy and McClintoc in Tempe, they have another store in Tucson....

The owner is cool, informative, not to pushy...he seems to like helping in a background sort of way (he lets you learn from your own mistakes:ban:).

Some of the staff inject their own tastes and preferances without really realising it...I like to explore with beer, not so easy when someone is trying to get you to brew any recipe their way....

Overall, good stock, informative, prices are very competitive on ingredients...not so competitive on equipment.

Mine keeps pissing me off from getting screwed. Like i leave then find out the expiration date of my yeast is this month,or they ring it up dont let me know the price keep chit-chatting i leave and am like what? I paid almost 5 bucks for dry nottingham???wtf.
Not to metion how old their stuff has been sitting there. Also i noticed holes in some of the 1# bags of grain like mice got into them, i pulled one out and grains were coming out of it,wtf#2??3,4,5. No wonder why i mail order most of the time,i have no idea how old that stuff is.

I have 1 close LHBS close by and another kinda far from me, about 20 miles away. I almost never go to the close store...

I go to the far LHBS more often because they have beer software, and will run all your recipe ingredients, calculations, IBUs, etc... They also have a killer electric mill that can turn 6# of grain into the perfect crush in 10 seconds.

My local homebrew store is Austin Homebrew Supply, and is under 2 miles from where I work... I've nothing much to complain about. :) They keep me coming back because of the *great* advice/help I get in-store, the great prices & top notch selection.

Not much. I try not to go there. The guy behind the counter always looks at me funny when I ask for things, and they are a "Self Serve" HBS.

I go back to mine because I like the owners/ family. They're a very small-store shop, but usually have what I need. It's expensive compared to online, but I get to hear the banter, meet other brewers, and smell the grain when I walk in. And, I can ask them what will substitute if they don't have enough of what I need. All that said, I still tend to buy alot online because I can have it shipped for cheaper than this store's costs. Kyle

Not much other than always have what I need. The guys that work/own it are pricks. The act annoyed by the presence of customers and are impatient and rude. If there was an equal competitor I would go there instead.

i'm not very impressed with the one here in Norfolk VA. the only reason i support them is because i don't have to wait or pay for shipping when i buy from them, and it is locally owned/operated, so the money i spend is staying in the local economy.

now, here are a few reasons why i don't like that store:
1. i have received grain in a bag that seems to have been used for a trash bag. it had styrofoam packing peanuts in the bottom. i assume someone sweeped the floor, emptied the dust pan into the bag, filled it with grain, and sold it to me.
2. i received a bag of "milled" grain that was 75% whole grain, uncrushed. i also lived 45 minutes away from the store. i had to postpone my brew session until the next day. i had to drive the long trip back to the store, tell them to adjust their mill, and they didn't even offer a discount of any type.
3. i'm PRETTY sure they adjust their mill to not crush the grain well in order to hurt people efficiency and sell more grain.
4. the store is owned by some rednecks. i'm surprised they don't just buy Bud Lite at the market.

Nothing close to me at all. Went to one in Dundee MI while I was still just reading on here. Kid working wouldn't put his phone down to help, and was a ****** when I asked questions. Haven't been back.

Titgemiers in Toledo had been where I go lately.
Pros:
-friendly staff
-nice selection
-fair prices
-also carry bird seed, and dog treats and supplies.

Cons:
-40 miles away
-a block from where Elvis's Momma cried
-asked about buying grain and the guy acted relieved when I said I would mill my own at home. Is it really that hard?
-every time I am there, there are guys buying dog supplies I am positive run a dog fighting ring.

Great advice, prices and very friendly. I go to Just Brew it, south of Atlanta. I have quite a drive to get there and pass a few other homebrew shops on the way. I would not consider getting my supples or equipment anywhere else.

If you live in the Atlanta are check them out...

Be the only LHBS store within 300KM to carry beer making supplies such as hops, grains and liquid yeast.

Everything else is just wine making

Back