What does "P" mean in relation to malted grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickme23

Reaction score
I downloaded the "brewpal" app for brewing on my iphone and they don't seem to have a single continental malt in the grain selection so I was trying to add a german 2-row to the list for my wit and there is some field that is requiring a number to be assigned and it's called "P" the range is from 0-50P then the next field is degrees L. I get the lovibond rating field but what the heck does "P" stand for?

I downloaded the "brewpal" app for brewing on my iphone and they don't seem to have a single continental malt in the grain selection so I was trying to add a german 2-row to the list for my wit and there is some field that is requiring a number to be assigned and it's called "P" the range is from 0-50P then the next field is degrees L. I get the lovibond rating field but what the heck does "P" stand for?

my guess would be "potential" as in short for PPG (used for determining efficiency)?

so what do you think a german pils would be? Is there some resource I could see what a typical malt would render? I looked it up online but I don't even know what to call what I'm looking for...

I love the brewpal app! Wish they would add some more grains though. And have the boil timer visible without having to open it

Back