What does every body think about better bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mre24j

Reaction score
I am a new home brewer and interested in getting some new carboy's. The plastic better bottles are cheaper and easier to ship but I am wondering if there are any issues with taste or oxidation. I would generally prefer glass but it's hard to pass up the fact that I would be saving about $10 a carboy. I'm wondering what the plus and minuses are of each. Thanks

You would be hard pressed around here to find anyone with something bad to say about BBs. Had some of mine of a couple years and love them.

You would be hard pressed around here to find anyone with something bad to say about BBs. Had some of mine of a couple years and love them.

+1

I've read the vs sticky, but I don't see any real reason to even consider glass.

I have used both and like both. Although I am a little happier with the BB not having to worry about it breaking, and it weighs less so it is easier to move around.

Ed

I can lift a full better bottle with one hand and carry it upstairs.

That, plus the fact that if you do somehow manage to break a better bottle, it won't kill you or require extensive surgery, pretty much seals the deal against glass.

I use and prefer glass. In my setup, I never have to move a full carboy. I like the fact that I can go nuclear with the cleaning without worries and I have no fear of scratching.

Also, I got many for free. :D

I like the better bottles with the racking ports and all that jazz, but they are expensive.

Personally, I am spending 0 on fermenters until I can go stainless.

I've bought a couple of them from the LHBS, and I got most of my glass carboys for free, like BK. I don't like that I can't use my big blowoff tubes on them like I can with the glass ones, because the opening is too big, but beyond that...I see no real drawbacks. I've broken a glass carboy once and had another one develop a hairline crack while beer was aging in it (saved the beer, it never shattered, I just tossed it in recycling), so I do like the durability of BB's...but honestly, if someone were to offer me a 6 gallon glass and 6 gallon BB at the same price, I'd probably just take the glass. But since price is an issue...I go with the BB.

I think BK sums it up well. If you can guarantee you never have to lift a full glass carboy and have an easy method to do so, then glass really has no disadvantage. You can indeed clean them aggressively if you are so inclined. However, if you ever catch yourself lifting a carboy with any liquid in it or it is wet and you are lifting it, I would consider Better Bottles or Stainless. I have glass and Better Bottles and use them both, but I definitely go for the the BB first if they are open.

I am with BK in that I am not spending any more money on fermentors unless I go stainless or built the 15G+ plastic conicals in the DIY section.

I use mostly glass because that was what I started with and have plenty now (bought out a homebrewer going out of the hobby). I have brew-haulers (or homemade equivalent) for all of them, I've also used milk crates in the past. Glass can be dangerous if not handled properly.

On the other hand if I get another infection issue I know that I can completely clean the glass and not have any bacteria live through it. I don't feel I can do the same with plastic. Also I know as long as I don't break my carboys I can pass them down to kids and their kids. The Better Bottles can develop cracks over time from use and can scratch much more easily.

I think in my world if you want to go cheap, use buckets, they are great. If you want something you'll never have to replace unless you break it, get glass. If you want something you'll never need to replace but is also less breakable spend the dough and buy/make stainless fermenters.

I like the 6.5 gallon glass carboys. I can't ferment a 5.5 gallon batch without using a nasty blow off tube. Never had to use one with glass. I also don't like shooting all the vodka out of my airlock if you have to move a bb.

My first brew was this past Sunday, so I'm no expert, but...
I went with better bottles. The safety factor is a big one for me. The accessories are way overpriced though. I did spring for one of the drylock airlocks, because I didn't want to deal with the negative pressure sucking in the water if I move or bump the bottle. I use it with one of those large hollowed out stoppers, that looks like this:
Small Universal Carboy Bung- Drilled :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies
This link shows the small one, the medium didn't have a picture, but fits BB perfectly.
The drylock is a snug fit, but works well.

Since those stoppers are hollowed out, I used a second one to stretch a 1/2" ID hose over the ridge on the hole (again, a snug fit), and fill the stopper with hot glue to make a nice solid blow off hose. It works great.

Thanks everybody for all the info. I found a guy on craigslist who was getting rid of his 6.5 gallon glass carboys for $20 a piece (cheaper than the better bottles!) this afternoon so I was able to grab a few of those. Can't wait to get some brews in them!

Everyone has made some very valid points for each, and I agree. However, one consideration that hasn't been mentioned is my biggest concern. I have children, my youngest not yet three. My biggest fear is he will hit one of the carboys with something....... The ramifications are not something I am willing to accept. For this reason I use my better bottles for every brew I can unless they are full. Only then will I use glass...... and CAREFULLY keep them locked up until the ferm is complete.

As far as breakage goes, I never start to fill a glass carboy or a better bottle without it being in a milk crate first. Even though a bb won't shatter into tendon shredding pieces, dropping a full anything is likely to ruin your day.

wasn't there a thread on here about BB breaking due to stress cracks caused by improper rocking of the BB on a hard surface?

p.s. I'll just stick with fermenter buckets for beer, and 3 gallon glass for wine/mead

I have had a glass carboy explode in the past when the blow-off tube clogged. For that reason alone, I will never again use glass carboys. I have a BB, but to be honest I prefer buckets. Easier to move around, easier to clean, cheap (or free) to replace.

If you go with glass, just don't do this with it.

I still use this one to make Apfelwein

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 glass 6.5 gallon carboys and 2 BB and one 15 gallon demijohn and a 15 gallon plastic barrel

Having said that I use Sanke's now to ferment in no fuss the beer never sees light or O2. And its one vessel as opposed to 2 when doing 10 gallon batches and its pretty hard to break

Back