What does a saison taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
OK, i live in a place (North Dakota), where we grow much of the malting barley for the Nation, but have TERRIBLE selections of beers and no beer brewed in the state.

I am brewing a saison style ale with wyeast 3724 based on research of the style. My question is: What does a saison tasted like? Is it like a hoppier, dry tripel?

Dry, little spicy, high carb, and slightly tainted with a little 'barnyard'

Edit: forgot to mention, check out beer advocate and BJCP styles for some descriptors

Normally they are more spicy/earthy instead of hoppy. The also tend to be dry and crisp with a nice yeasty (in a good Belgian way) nose. One of my favorite styles.

So a belgian farmhouse style ale (like boulavard tank 7) could be considered something like a Saison? I love that beer

heferly said:
Dry, little spicy, high carb, and slightly tainted with a little 'barnyard'

Edit: forgot to mention, check out beer advocate and BJCP styles for some descriptors

^ this.

Also just wanted to say hello from Fargo :)

the flavor profile of a saison comes not from hops or malt but from yeast. so they taste yeasty. usually this is in the fruity / estery range or in the spicy / clovey range.

it is helpful to warn unfamiliar beer drinkers before they take a drink so that they can adjust their expectations somewhat.

I brewed a saison a few weeks ago with a new yeast from WhiteLabs/Austin Homebrew. The yeast is WLP560 Classic Saison. It has a very peppery taste, along with mild fruity esters. It also has a very Belgian(y) yeast flavor in the back. It's crisp, mildly dry, and very refreshing on a hot day working in the yard. It goes great with BBQ and cigars..

I'm brewing a semi-funky Saison this weekend. I mashed a couple days ago and innoculated the wort with some crushed two row and left it to sour in the garage. I think the lacto sourness will work well with the spicy yeast.

ktblunden said:
I'm brewing a semi-funky Saison this weekend. I mashed a couple days ago and innoculated the wort with some crushed two row and left it to sour in the garage. I think the lacto sourness will work well with the spicy yeast.

I assume you boiled after that...sounds interesting if you did...make a thread when it's done!

Latest posts

Back