What do you want to see in a nanobrewery commercial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrymanback92

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a film maker. I'm partaking in a contest right now, making a 60 second commercial for a nanobrewery, in northern California. Their beer is great! But i wanna know what you guys think is missing in the advertisement of small, localized, neighborly craft beers. Usually these companies have no advertisement budget; I'm doing this for free because i love the beer and a good underdog.

So, any ideas? What makes a beer stand out to you and makes you wanna buy it, or even travel to get it?

I have my own ideas, but i need to convince the client "this is what your target audience is looking for".

Cheers!

Hey guys,

I'm a film maker. I'm partaking in a contest right now, making a 60 second commercial for a nanobrewery, in northern California. Their beer is great! But i wanna know what you guys think is missing in the advertisement of small, localized, neighborly craft beers. Usually these companies have no advertisement budget; I'm doing this for free because i love the beer and a good underdog.

So, any ideas? What makes a beer stand out to you and makes you wanna buy it, or even travel to get it?

I have my own ideas, but i need to convince the client "this is what your target audience is looking for".

Cheers!

I read somewhere recently (I think it was am interview with Greg Koch) about where they thought the craft scene was going. Their response was away from flagships and on to seasonals/special releases. Im inclined to agree. Perhaps you could focus on those offerings? Just my 2¢

Because this is website dedicated to home brewing I would guess 99% of the readers here know what a nano is, the opposite is probably true of the intended audience of your commercial. To me I'd be sure to highlight the fact that these beers are brewed in smaller batches so they are fresher. They are local and unique.

Because this is website dedicated to home brewing I would guess 99% of the readers here know what a nano is, the opposite is probably true of the intended audience of your commercial. To me I'd be sure to highlight the fact that these beers are brewed in smaller batches so they are fresher. They are local and unique.

don't think you can stress these points enough. fresh, local, unique

& brewed by the guy pouring it for you.

Which Nano is it? Actually what I like about any decent Nano is the lack of advertising. It's nice to go into a place that's filled only with people that really appreciate good beer and can find the brewery on their own.

Hey guys,

Cheers!

Lot's of half-naked women. And imply that if I drink the beer, they will all want me. And trains. Cold trains covered in ice... on frosty mountain tops. At some point, there better be an explosion. And a Moose. Don't forget the Moose. It better talk.

Don't forget lots of catchy, meaningless phases like "triple hop brewed", and "cold filtered".

And don't forget to talk about all the new technology that's been incorporated in to the can. Important stuff, like temperature changing paint. Or maybe the size of the mouth and how it's shaped just right to pour easily. Don't forget the close-up, slow-motion shot of the pour.

If you can get all that in a commercial, I'll just starting throwing my money at you no matter what the beer is like.

Which Nano is it? Actually what I like about any decent Nano is the lack of advertising. It's nice to go into a place that's filled only with people that really appreciate good beer and can find the brewery on their own.

so, is your advice to the OP to not even bother entering the contest?

or to the brewery to skip any advertisement and not try at all to bring in new customers, just be happy with the few beer geeks who happen to wander in?

I like the small batch/high quality idea. Maybe a few shots of things like oak barrels, kind of rustic. And a malty, non-yellow beer with a huge head on it like whipped cream.

Hey guys,

Do to NDA, can't reveal the name; but i will
follow through with the finished product!

I hear you all in terms of celebrating the local, freshness, small quantities and uniqueness. I'm gonna further develop these ideas for my pitch.

For the record, I'm doing this pro bono. As a homebrewer/beer geek i just wanna help out a new brewery that's turning out a pretty damned fine brew.

Someone mentioned they like nanos because there's a lack of advertisement. I think that's a fair point. However, they do need something. A 60 second web spot on their website and beer blogs may be all they need. This certainly isn't getting on TV. Also, i cant stress this enough, theyre in Northern California under a half hour drive away from some very well known, award winning breweries. They have to get peoples attention somehow. Check out Anchor Steams sites they have pretty cool videos for each site.

I like the idea of seasonals. I think that's a great observation, come to think of it all the beer ads ive seen lately have been seasonal.

Thanks for your help guys! Your feedback is going to seriously help me pitch my idea to the client. If you have anything else to add please do! We have our pitch Wednesday, for those interested I'll be reporting back then!

Thanks guys,

Sorry for typos. Sent from my phone.

Whenever I see a "craft" beer commercial my first thought is which one of the big boys (InBev, etc.) owns that "craft" brewery. I am not a BMC hater, but unless the commercial makes it clear that the brewery is truly locally owned I am going to assume it is owned by InBev, SABMiller, or some other giant company with enough money to spend on advertising and am not going to buy the beer.

Focus on the passion of the brewer. That he is not doing this be rich but rather that he feels its a calling to brew. Have his passion show how he produces the best quality product from the highest quality ingredients.

'Local' and 'fresh' have been overdone, IMO. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a claim of local and/or fresh anymore. I prefer the 'unique' or 'different' perspective. So I would pitch the 'where-else-in-the-world-could-you-savor-a-Dungeness-crab-ale-served-in-a-conch-shell?' angle. For example. Of course, if the crab was caught nearby - and recently - I suppose local and fresh would be bonuses. As long as no dolphins or other marine life were harmed in the making of my Dungeness crab ale. Man, I loves me some Dungeness crab ale. Served in a conch shell.

Anyway, break a leg on Wednesday.

'Local' and 'fresh' have been overdone, ...I prefer the 'unique' or 'different' perspective. So I would pitch the 'where-else-in-the-world-could-you-savor-a-Dungeness-crab-ale-served-in-a-conch-shell?' angle.

Right. Don't tell generic buzzwords. Tell THEIR story.

Thinking out loud here....If the brewer is tolerable on camera, get him/her on camera. The audience should feel like they're friends with the guy, or at least want to be. Think Vinny/Sam. Likeable guys who we all "know"

Right. Don't tell generic buzzwords. Tell THEIR story.

Thinking out loud here....If the brewer is tolerable on camera, get him/her on camera. The audience should feel like they're friends with the guy, or at least want to be. Think Vinny/Sam. Likeable guys who we all "know"

kinda what I was saying.

brewed by the guy pouring it for you.

you can be on a first-name basis with the guy who brewed the beer you're drinking. can't do that with a macro brew

60 seconds is darn near a feature anymore.

I would focus on intent of the brewery owner, some of the brewers or staffs thoughts on beer in general as well as their thoughts on where they see their product and the people they serve it to.

Hard to say exactly in text but my opinion is simple is better and I would probably break it down to two 30 second slots or three 20 second slots instead to make it more digestible to the public.

Back