What do you use to clean your glassware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
Trying to avoid the kitchen detergents and head killers. Anyone got a brand they recommend?

Hand scrubbed with lava pumice soap, CNC rotary polished with a minimum of 2000grit consumables. Every dish every time

Hot water and/or dish soap depending on my mood. Only thing that stops me from using the DW is the paint on the glasses.

I have a LOT of beer glasses. The ones I really care about never go in the dishwasher. Spiegalau says their glasses are dishwasher safe, but I've had a few break when I looked at them funny, so I don't try. I've never noticed a difference in head retention in those glasses that do go in the dishwasher.

If your dishwasher does a good job of rinsing then I think washing them this way shouldn't have an affect on head retention. But with that said I stopped putting my beer glasses in the dishwasher after I noticed the paint starting to fade on a couple.

I used to use dish soap but the glasses would often have water marks etc. Then recently I was at a large wholesale store here in the UK and they sell a lot of things that catering companies and restaurants etc use (napkins, plates, take out boxes etc) and they had a huge bottle of glass cleaner for pubs for literally £2 and they come up absolutely crystal clear with that stuff no streaks ever.

Use to hand wash with dish soap and a long hot water rinse but after awhile I could see some film build up so I soaked all my glasses in PBW for about 15 min and they all came out looking brand new squeaky clean. Now I keep a spray bottle of diluted PBW by the sink for glass cleaning.

Hot water only. I rinse out immediately after using rub my fingers inside to remove anything stuck on the glass, then fill with hot water and leave on the counter. Rinse again, dry and put away the next day. My wife had put a couple of my logo glasses in the dishwasher and the design started coming off, so no more dishwasher and I've heard about soap killing head, so that's why I don't use any.

Hot water almost exclusively. Just rinse thoroughly and allow to air dry. Sometimes I'll pour a little salt in the glass and use a bottle brush to scrub the salt around. Makes the glass sparkly clean and I get really good lace and retention right after a salt scrub(rinse all the salt out first).

Hot water(my water heater is at 140 degrees) then a polish with a clean cotton towel. Once a week or if I forget and leave one over night I use dish soap, rinse with only hot water, and again polish with a cotton dish towel. I buy flour sack dish towels by the dozen because they are so useful!

Back