What do you use to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbos17

Reaction score
What is your preferred method to bottle your final product? Glass, plastic, sizes, caps to close them, and how long before the Cider goes bad once you open a cap on a larger bottle say a growler or gallon (if this is how you store them)? Thank you!

I bottle in 1 liter fliptops, easy, reusable & the bail adds what I think of as "old world charm." When I open a bottle, I finish it; but if someone were inclined to not finish a bottle, fliptops are easily resealable. Not sure how long the cider in such a resealed bottle would be good, but it should certainly be good for at least a few days in the fridge.
Regards, GF.

.5L swing tops for the same reason as above. I like that they pour a full pint.

I use the biermuncher method of bottling from my keg.

Growlers aren't meant to be used for long term storage of carbonated beverages, and they certainly aren't designed for bottle priming. The seal is just not that good, because the pressures are too high. I wouldn't use a growler for any more than a day or two.

I use either 12 oz or 22 oz brown glass bottles with press-fit caps, just like beer. Occasionally I'll use a green champagne/wine style bottle that takes the standard 26-mm beer cap.

Growlers aren't meant to be used for long term storage of carbonated beverages, and they certainly aren't designed for bottle priming. The seal is just not that good, because the pressures are too high. I wouldn't use a growler for any more than a day or two.

I use either 12 oz or 22 oz brown glass bottles with press-fit caps, just like beer. Occasionally I'll use a green champagne/wine style bottle that takes the standard 26-mm beer cap.

I use growlers to bottle prime all the time, and have for years. I got several swing top ones, and several screw on top ones. Have never had a problem with them carbing, or holding carbination for months. Never had one blow up either. I dont keg, and a full growler of homebrew is perfect for taking to someones house for dinner.

I use 1L brown plastic PET bottles for cider that I plan to drink young, kept for a max. 3 months. These are fine (and safe) for carbing.
If I plan to keep cider for the long term, I use 1 pint brown beer bottles with crown caps.
I always allow my ciders to finish to dryness, and tend to bulk age them in demijohns with airlock.

Back