What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorowdy

Reaction score
Happy Friday virtual friends. I want to make a chili beer and want some feedback. I did something similar in my early days with Mr. Beer. The beer turned out fantastic. Seeing how this is my first attempt at recupe formulation any help would be appreciated.

1 can light lme
1lbs pilsen dme
1lbs flaked corn
1 lbs agave
8 oz smoked malt
2 jalepeno
4 serrano
3 tsp lime peel
Not real sure about the hops I was thinking U.S goldings or cascade.

What type are you planning (e.g. Ale or Lager) and what batch size (5 gallon, I'm assuming)? Looks good, though you may want to exchange the 1lb pilsen DME with 2lbs of Amber LME to get some extra color and gravity (about 1.050 SG and 6.5 SRM or so with that change, assuming "1 can of Light LME" is 3.3 Lbs). Cascade would be a good choice of hops since you will have citrusy notes already from the lime zest and a citrusy hop will go well with that and the peppers. You could also use Citra, Amarillo or Galena hops if you want a stronger citrus flavor and higher IBUs (with .5oz @ 60 min and .5oz @ 30 min of Cascade hops you'll have about 22 IBUs).

Your yeast choice will depend on the style you're going for, of course, but I've designed a similar Thai pepper beer for a friend (an Ale) using Wyeast Belgian Witbier (3944) that will compliment those spicy/citrusy flavors well.

I'd add all your peppers/spices after flame-out, let them steep 10-20 minutes and then proceed to cooling the wort. Small dicing them will get some extra flavor and kick out of them. 1 tsp of Irish Moss added to the boil around 30 min will help clear it up and you could use some gelatin in the secondary (if you're doing a secondary) to help it sparkle as well.

It's a 5 gallon batch. I was going to use Nottingham for my yeast. Thanks for the input. Sorry about not being more exact with the recipe typed it out in my way to work this morning hadn't quite woken up yet.

maybe i'm just a wimp, or a spoil sport, but i like my chili in a bowl and my beer in a glass, preferably served together

and happy friday back at you

It's a 5 gallon batch. I was going to use Nottingham for my yeast. Thanks for the input. Sorry about not being more exact with the recipe typed it out in my way to work this morning hadn't quite woken up yet.

No worries. I usually forget how to speak English until at least my second cup of coffee :confused: Since your ale falls into the "Spice/Herb/Vegetable" category, you should check out Wyeast's recommendations for yeast choices on their site: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_styledetails.cfm?ID=194 and on the BJCP website: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style21.php . Of course it's your beer and you should definitely make it your own, but I find the style guidelines helpful for getting ideas when developing a new recipe. Let us know how it turns out!

^ That's what my brother would say. Oh, and you're only a wimp if said chili doesn't make your eyeballs sweat.

I finally got through this. Everything went super smooth until this morning with my fermenter read 83I degrees

Back