What do you think of this Irish Stout recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
I took a recipe I found for a Guinness draught clone and modified it just a little (basically just the DME). Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions. I'm not going for the extra stout taste and I am new to this so I may be off.

5 lb Munton's Dry Dark extract
1 lb Flaked Barley
1/2 lb Roasted Barley
1/4 lb Black Patent
1 oz Northern Brewer hops (60 mins)
1 tsp gypsum
WLP004 Irish Stout yeast

Now, I haven't done any grain stuff yet. I could steep some stuff but past that I am out of my knowledge area. How does this look and what exactly should I do with the flaked barley? It mentions sparging and I've read a little but I still don't understand how to do it in a regular extract brew.

Here is the original recipe:
http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/05_91.html

I recently did an Irish Stout and it is the best brew I have made yet. I would recommend you add some flavor and aroma hops, I used 1/2 oz of EK Goldings for 20 minutes and another 1/2 oz for 5 minutes. Other than that this looks good.

As far as the specialty grains, first get a grain sock to put the grains in for steeping (you might want to get 2 and split the grains evenly between them). Steep as follows:
-Heat 1.5 gallons of water to 150 deg. and then hold temp between 150 and 160 while steeping.
-Put grains (in the sock) into your stockpot and steep for 15-20 minutes. I usually dunk the grains a few times like a tea bag.

If you want to sparge, heat up another 1/2 qt of water to 150 deg. At the end of your steep, place the grains in a strainer of some sort and pour the qt. of water over the grains into your brewpot. Sparging is simply the name for rinsing additional sugars from the grains and is not necessary for extract brews.

After that, proceed as usual.

paranode said:
I took a recipe I found for a Guinness draught clone and modified it just a little (basically just the DME). Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions. I'm not going for the extra stout taste and I am new to this so I may be off.

5 lb Munton's Dry Dark extract
1 lb Flaked Barley
1/2 lb Roasted Barley
1/4 lb Black Patent
1 oz Northern Brewer hops (60 mins)
1 tsp gypsum
WLP004 Irish Stout yeast

Now, I haven't done any grain stuff yet. I could steep some stuff but past that I am out of my knowledge area. How does this look and what exactly should I do with the flaked barley? It mentions sparging and I've read a little but I still don't understand how to do it in a regular extract brew.

Here is the original recipe:
http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/05_91.html

Id use target and challenger hops and more gypsum maybe.

Thanks TheJadedDog.

Ivan Lendl said:
Id use target and challenger hops and more gypsum maybe.

I don't think my LHBS carries those hops but I could do some EKG.

Maybe some Irish Moss? I don't really know what it does but I see it in lots of recipes. :)

edit: Okay I see that helps the yeast flocculate out and settle.

Irish Moss helps settle protein in the kettle related to Hot Break. The recipe looks good to me. The other hop additions will change the character and down play the malt, but I think they are a good idea. Maybe an addition at 15 minutes and another at flame out. EKG are great hops.

paranode said:
Thanks TheJadedDog.

I don't think my LHBS carries those hops but I could do some EKG.

Maybe some Irish Moss? I don't really know what it does but I see it in lots of recipes. :)

edit: Okay I see that helps the yeast flocculate out and settle.

EKG are great...Im just thinking any English hops rather than Northern Brewer.

I love Northern Brewers, but if you swap them for EKG in the 60 minutes boil slot you need to remember that Northern Brewers run in the 9 aa range, while the EKG run down around 4.75 aa. That means you are going to need close to 50% more (42% actually) of the EKG to get the same IBUs. That is the problem with recipes that simply give ounces and no IBU reference.

Good point there. I've been playing with the Beer Tools calculator to make sure it's in the right ranges. ;)

Any ill effects of mixing the two, using NB for the 60 and the EKG for aroma and flavoring?

paranode said:
Good point there. I've been playing with the Beer Tools calculator to make sure it's in the right ranges. ;)

Any ill effects of mixing the two, using NB for the 60 and the EKG for aroma and flavoring?

That would be the most economical (sp), just bitter with N brewer, and flavor aroma EK gold...but then again "Economics is a form of mental illness" (somebody said something like that, once, Thoreugh? (sp)

paranode said:

Most recipes call for different hops for bittering and flavoring/aroma. Bittering hops usually have higher AA percentages. I often use NB or target for bittering and EKG for flavor and aroma in my English ales.

Back