What Do You Think Of This As A Sclupture??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's what I use here's a thread on it, I like it. You can get this cheaper if you search around, I believe mine was $175 delivered. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/viable-option-stand-review-w-pics-103082/

http://www.bayouclassicfryers.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4194

AWESOME!!!

I read that whole thread you wrote and I think I'm going to ask for it for christmas!

I've got a few questions,

1) Did you ever get a pump?
2) Do you think a keggle would fit on both of the burners? I'm not sure if you've ever used a keggle, but I think that's what I'd be using for my pots.
3) How long does a typical propane tank last you with this system?
4) How has this thing held up? Do you think that it will last you years?

I don't think I'm going to get a pump I'd just use the gravity/bucket method. Considering this think only costs about a hundred more than a regular banjo, it doesn't get much better than this!

1) Did you ever get a pump?
2) Do you think a keggle would fit on both of the burners? I'm not sure if you've ever used a keggle, but I think that's what I'd be using for my pots.
3) How long does a typical propane tank last you with this system?
4) How has this thing held up? Do you think that it will last you years?

1- No, maybe in the future, I don't see the need for one right now.
2- Those pots are 15&20 gallon, so a keggle would be no problem
3-I almost exclusively use the bottom burner and I can do 3-4 batches, that's heating all water from cold tap temps. Also that's using a stupid Blue Rhino tank that doesn't have 20 lbs of propane in it.
4- It's plenty sturdy, it's no homemade sculpture with 1.5x1.5 stainless tubing, but then again that's overkill. If you use it for it's intended purpose I see no reason why it wouldn't last many years.

1- No, maybe in the future, I don't see the need for one right now.
2- Those pots are 15&20 gallon, so a keggle would be no problem
3-I almost exclusively use the bottom burner and I can do 3-4 batches, that's heating all water from cold tap temps. Also that's using a stupid Blue Rhino tank that doesn't have 20 lbs of propane in it.
4- It's plenty sturdy, it's no homemade sculpture with 1.5x1.5 stainless tubing, but then again that's overkill. If you use it for it's intended purpose I see no reason why it wouldn't last many years.

Awesome, here are my replies.

1) I don't think I'll get a pump anytime soon either.
2) My main concern was that a keggle is about 12" diameter or so (not too sure,) but they have that raised lip for stacking that concerns me about it fitting around the burner and not all the way on it.
3) When you say almost always use bottom burner, don't you mean that's what you use to boil? Don't you use the top one for heating sparge/strike water? I also use those (now less filled) blue rhino rip offs.
4) Yeah, from the pics it looks sturdy enough to hold 10 gallon batches.

Overall, I think this baby looks sturdy and I'm pretty sure that I will install a MLT rack from your design.

Thanks very much man, and happy brewing.
J

Awesome, here are my replies.
2) My main concern was that a keggle is about 12" diameter or so (not too sure,) but they have that raised lip for stacking that concerns me about it fitting around the burner and not all the way on it.
3) When you say almost always use bottom burner, don't you mean that's what you use to boil? Don't you use the top one for heating sparge/strike water? I also use those (now less filled) blue rhino rip offs.

A standard keg is 16 1/8", you will have no problems on either burner.

The bottom heats so fast I use it for heating my sparge water, but then you have to lift the pot to the top to dump in. In the summer I heat water as fast as possible because im roasting. This winter i'll probably use the top so I can brew in warm comfort.:mug:

A standard keg is 16 1/8", you will have no problems on either burner.

The bottom heats so fast I use it for heating my sparge water, but then you have to lift the pot to the top to dump in. In the summer I heat water as fast as possible because im roasting. This winter i'll probably use the top so I can brew in warm comfort.:mug:

lol, if you do use the bottom for sparge water, Isn't it kind of a waste to buy this rig? Imo, that just defeats the purpose of having the second tier.

Do you think overall that you're happy with this as an investment?

My thing is that I would probably get this either for myself, or from swmbo for christmas, but I would still have to get another keg or pot, bulkheads for both of my kettles, and the materials to build the MLT level (unless I have an old bed frame laying around some where which I may.

Do you think after all that it's worth it for me. Considering no matter what happens, I need another propane burner and would probably get a banjo by itself instead of this stand for christmas.

I know I'm being a pain in the ass, but I'm just cheap and don't ever really seeing myself make my own stand (even though who knows what would happen.)

I will use the top eventually:D, I think it is worth the money, just price the two burner stands separate, it's not a lot more. Plus it's space saving.

I can't say if it's worth it for you, you are the only one who knows how you want a rig to work. I know this one can be used many different ways, that's why I like it.

And if I had it to do again I would still buy it. But That's me.

I will use the top eventually:D, I think it is worth the money, just price the two burner stands separate, it's not a lot more. Plus it's space saving.

I can't say if it's worth it for you, you are the only one who knows how you want a rig to work. I know this one can be used many different ways, that's why I like it.

And if I had it to do again I would still buy it. But That's me.

I understand what yoursaying. I guess if you were in the market for a burner, why not just spend a $100 more and get something like this. maybe I will take a different approach to modifying than you did. But like you said, that's the beauty of this thing. You can do so much with it.

Thanks again for your help,:mug:
J

So now I am thinking about this thing now. Maybe putting it on my Christmas wish list.

It looks nice excpect for 2 things. the Boil kettle is not high enough to gravity drain the wort into a fermentor and there is not a third tier. If I can get by that this thing looks great.

I like the siphon Idea, but that just sounds like a lot of work. I think for me, It's either a pump or a bucket. I think I'm just going to have a keg on the top level filled with enough water for strike and sparge. That keg will have a bulkhead and a sight glass. I will drain into my cooler mash tun from the top keg with my preheated strike water. After that, I will transfer to the brew keggle via pump of ale pale. and that's that. The only difference from this system to my current set-up is that I won't have to move big pots of hot liquid around.

Back