What do you hate about hydrometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate when foam forms around the hydrometer and I can't get a reading for an hour or two. I also hate that I now have to put on reading glasses so I can see it (but that's not the hydrometers fault.)

I hate that everyone else has broken a bunch of them and I've been using the same one that my dad started out with 15 years ago.

Gotcha beat I still use the one I bought new in 1996.

But yeah seems like everybody breaks theirs at some point, I will probably shed a tear when I do.

I don't think I'll ever break the first one I used. Mostly because I gave it back to my FIL as soon as I bought my own, so I wouldn't end up breaking his. He doesn't brew any more, but still.

Now I have two since the second one was a freebie. I hate that they both consistently read the same thing but that I know it to be wrong from a calibration test.

I hate that I had a dream that I had broken them both in quick succession. That was upsetting.

I hate when foam forms around the hydrometer and I can't get a reading for an hour or two. I also hate that I now have to put on reading glasses so I can see it (but that's not the hydrometers fault.)

Overfill the hydrometer tube until beer starts to spill out of the top. Then blow the foam away. Done.

Latest posts

Back