What do you hate about hydrometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate when foam forms around the hydrometer and I can't get a reading for an hour or two. I also hate that I now have to put on reading glasses so I can see it (but that's not the hydrometers fault.)

I hate that everyone else has broken a bunch of them and I've been using the same one that my dad started out with 15 years ago.

Gotcha beat I still use the one I bought new in 1996.

But yeah seems like everybody breaks theirs at some point, I will probably shed a tear when I do.

I don't think I'll ever break the first one I used. Mostly because I gave it back to my FIL as soon as I bought my own, so I wouldn't end up breaking his. He doesn't brew any more, but still.

Now I have two since the second one was a freebie. I hate that they both consistently read the same thing but that I know it to be wrong from a calibration test.

I hate that I had a dream that I had broken them both in quick succession. That was upsetting.

I hate when foam forms around the hydrometer and I can't get a reading for an hour or two. I also hate that I now have to put on reading glasses so I can see it (but that's not the hydrometers fault.)

Overfill the hydrometer tube until beer starts to spill out of the top. Then blow the foam away. Done.

Back