What do you do with any beer that is left over after filling the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
What do you do when you have too much beer to fit in the keg?

I just filled my 4th keg ever. The first one, I had just a tad over 5 gal. No problem, take a gravity reading and toss the bit over the trub. The second one, my volumes were off, so I had less than 5 gal. But the last keg and this one, I had a fair amount after filling the keg to the brim. I filled a growler with what I had left over both times. Tastes great, so I'll drink it cold and flat over the next couple days. It doesn't seem worth it to bottle, but who knows? What do others do when there's too much to keg?

You can bottle it and use carbonation tablets in each bottle.

Or get a carbonation cap for a growler or 2l bottle and force carbonate it and drink it.

If you make way too much, you could split your batch into two kegs with ~3 gallons each.

Or if you really want to spend some money, you could buy a 1 or 2 gallon corney for it.

I have thought of those carbonation caps. You have to use them with plastic growlers though, right? How long do those take to force carb?

I generally bottle these days, but I always make sure that I have more bottles and caps than I think I'll need.
The one time I kegged I had enough for a couple bombers left over.
I don't force carb yet in keg, so it was easy to just fill them and let them carb naturally.
I suppose when I have a full kegging rig, I'll have a few bottles ready also.
I may switch to carb drops or figure small amounts of sugar to carb.

I use a carbonation cap and a clean 20 ounce soda bottle(s).

You fill it 3/4 with beer and then squeeze the bottle to force the air out (so that beer is about to spill out the cap).
Then you screw on the carbonation cap.
Then you attach the gas QD to the cap and it will fill that empty space with CO2.
I then shake the crap out of it but that's just me.
I give it a couple minutes then pop it in the fridge for a couple hours.

Its the first bottle I drink and it gives me a good idea of what this beer is gonna taste like.

You could use a bigger bottle like a two liter if you needed to.

I always sanitize a few bottles when I keg. I put a clamp on the siphon hose so that I can shut it off when the keg's full and then put the bottling wand on the hose. A single sugar cube in each bottle works well for carbonation in a 12 oz. bottle.

Back