What do you chill with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiller

• CFC

• Immersion Chiller

• Plate Chiller

• No Chill

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I chill with a homebrew.

Oh wait, are you asking a different question? Sorry...

"Real" answer; recently took a CFC out for a test-run; I'll be doing that in the future. Full-bore, was chilling to just over pitching temps, so I recirced for a while.

I have a 30 gallon toat that I fill 1/3 full of ice or snow (depending on the season) and then take my pot and snug it down in there. Takes about 30 min. Old school.

Drink them in good health

50' copper IC. Cheap, easy, and effective.

4.jpg

I used an IC for a while, but the new plate chiller is just amazing. From 200 to 60 in the time it takes to pass through the chiller. Its just amazing.

No chill. Boiling wort straight to hot glass carboy. In fact, it's on my back porch cooling right now. Roughly 150 degrees F.

I used an IC for a while, but the new plate chiller is just amazing. From 200 to 60 in the time it takes to pass through the chiller. Its just amazing.

+1. In fact, with 48 degree groundwater, I actually have to throttle back on my garden hose to keep my wort from getting too cold! One barrel to pitching temps in about 10 minutes gravity fed.

I built a 25' IC a while ago but I just turned that into a CFC. Still waiting to use it on beer. Cleaning the inside of the pipe was a pain but it cooled about 5 gallons of water to pitching temps on a test run in a flash.

Immersion Whirlpool Chiller. I return pumped wort to the top of the kettle and it recirculates while the immersion chiller is running. All of the hop material and trub settles in the middle at the bottom and the wort that gets pumped into the fermenter is virtually trub free.

Latest posts

Back