What do I need to do with malted grain before I boil it with hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be doing all grain batches and I will be brewing with batch spargeing. I'm going to start with small 3G batches or maybe 2.5 G batches I think so I can learn how to do this well and because I'm limited with what I can put on my stove. Honestly I am not 100% sure where I should get my grain as I am new to all of this!

I do want to get the Cereal killer because it comes with a stand so that would save me time. Now if you crank 5 lbs of grain by hand how long would that take? I can't afford a motorized one so I will be doing it all by hand.
If you have an electric drill, either cordless or corded, you have a “motor” for your mill. A drill with a 1/2” chuck is preferred, as those are usually more powerful. I have a Cereal Killer and power it with an 18v Ryobi drill using the low speed range. I’ve put 5-600 lbs of grain through the mill this way in the last couple of years with no problems.

It's cool to see someone at the very beginnings of the hobby. Careful though, if you get really into it, this is what could happen. ;) P.S. This is not mine, only wish it was.
116738396_1837464653062793_8778285986538299125_o.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but that Cereal killer would be able to mill wheat down to 0.026" right?
I don't see why not.
The gap is measured between the tops of the knurls of both rollers. A regular credit card is around 0.034" thick, good for Barley. Some of the junk credit cards that come in the mail are much thinner, and perfect for the "narrow gap" job, around 0.026".

Back