What do I have to unlearn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
When you get ready to make different mead you will probably have to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey--- This recipe and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it.

Ok, so I have made the JAOM, and I definatly want to continue to make mead. In the original recipe, it says that I am going to have to unlearn some of the things I did with JAOM, so my question to you is what are they.

Another question I have since I am on the topic of mead...What makes a mead a quick mead and a mead that needs to age a bit to mature? I see these two "terms" used a bit, but when you look at a recipe, how can you tell which one is which?

Well for JAOM you throw all the ingredients in and leave it sit until clear..no nutrient additions, no racking, no testing S.G, no punching down the cap although there isn't much of a cap....nothing..just let it go..so that is kind of "unlearning" compared to when you are making a more traditional mead and traditional recipe. I call it the "popeil mead" just "set it and forget it".

A quick mead has less honey in it and ferments very quickly...Generally the more honey or fermentables the long the ferment time and aging time.

Dan

The Complete Meadmaker by Schramm is a great book. Check it out from a library if you don't want to buy it right away but it's a great resource.

Secondly, quick and mead should never go in the same sentence. :D

Quick meads are low ABV, generally under 4%. They'll ferment in a couple days and be drinkable by the time they clear.

Quick meads are low ABV, generally under 4%. They'll ferment in a couple days and be drinkable by the time they clear.

Hmmm - maybe I should relabel my quick meads as "somewhat hasty" since mine are full strength 10%-11% and are ready in 3-4 months as opposed to being ready in 10 months to a year or more.

Back