What Do I Do With the Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
After I've completed my boil, there is a 5 minute wait while the aroma hops do their thing. When I transfer the wort to my fermentation bucket (which will have 2 1/2 gall of water in it), do I strain out these and other hops? Can I also siphon this hot wort into my fermentation bucket? This would seem a little tricky it being so hot and all? The last alternative is to just leave them in there and when I siphon in two days into my second fermentation bin, get rid of them at that point.

Cool the wort, preferable to the pitching temp of the yeast you are using.
Ditch the hops.
No need for secondary (in most cases)

Don't siphon, dump, helps aerate the wort for happy yeast growth. straining out the hops and other debris will help the aeration too.

I don't worry about filtering the hops out...I just strive for the most liquid possible and when it gets too thick I stop.

After I've completed my boil, there is a 5 minute wait while the aroma hops do their thing. When I transfer the wort to my fermentation bucket (which will have 2 1/2 gall of water in it), do I strain out these and other hops? Can I also siphon this hot wort into my fermentation bucket? This would seem a little tricky it being so hot and all? The last alternative is to just leave them in there and when I siphon in two days into my second fermentation bin, get rid of them at that point.

I boil my hops inside a mesh bag. When it's time to transfer, just fish out the bag... voila! :ban:

(It does stain the bag, though, so you've been warned.)

I agree, no need for a secondary, especially after only two days. It's my feeling that you might be risking oxidation and contamination for no good reason... but everyone has their own way to do things -- whatever floats your hydrometer!

Latest posts

Back