What did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdhirsch

Reaction score
Last month I made a batch with ingredients that I had on hand... it turned out well, but I'm not sure what to call it -- that is, what style of beer would this be? Recipe was:

4 gallons water
5# dry malt extract (amber)
1/4# light roasted barley, crushed
1/4# chocolate malt
2.5 oz Northern Brewer hops (5.9% alpha) for boiling
1 oz Willamette hops added in the last 10 minutes of the boil
1 package Danstar Nottingham yeast

OG was 1.054, and it fermented down to 1.009 in two weeks (so about 6% ABV), at which point I bottled it. That was 4 weeks ago, and I've been drinking it for about a week now. There's some bitterness from the grains that's different from hops bitterness, and I kind of like it. Actually I like it a lot, but I'm not sure what I made :) What style would you call this?

I'm not sure really . Yeast is English ale , roasted barley and chocolate malt says stout , I don't use roasted barley in porters , but some do . So it's an English Porstout 😉

Easier answer - you made beer 😁

Congratulations, you have made an American Stout. Should be similar to Rogue Shakespeare Stout. Vaguely similar to a Black IPA as well, at least in bitterness but probably not in hop flavor, that's the real difference between Black IPA and American Stout. Looks to be quite bitter, I calculate about 70 IBUs -- that's hop bitterness from the 2.5 oz Northern Brewer hops which is quite a high amount.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back