What did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jota21

Reaction score
So I made this recipe:
http://***********/component/resource/article/1183-new-belgiums-fat-tire-clone

However, I used Dark DME instead of Extra Light DME.

I just bottled it today and am excited for it to be carbed, but i'm curious what category this beer will be under...

If the Fat Tire Clone with Extra Light DME is considered an Amber Ale, what will my concoction be considered??

Thanks

Brown ale, should be tasty. Kinda depends on the DME though, it could be more towards a lighter bodied porter. My kinda stuff for this time of year.

I made this recipe earlier in the summer and followed the recipe, but the grains that my LHBS sold me came in 1lb bags, so I had half of each bag leftover to make another batch. That said, I wanted to switch it up a little bit and agree that darker beers are perfect for this time of the year...

Thanks for your answer. I hope it turns out OK...

I made this recipe earlier in the summer and followed the recipe, but the grains that my LHBS sold me came in 1lb bags, so I had half of each bag leftover to make another batch. That said, I wanted to switch it up a little bit and agree that darker beers are perfect for this time of the year...

Thanks for your answer. I hope it turns out OK...

As JonK said above, I'm sure it'll be fine too. A nice brown ale/porter.

But the original recipe calls for 1/2lb of chocolate malt?? Man! That's gotta be way off base, making it a brown ale by itself, even with light extract!

A search found this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/byo-fat-tire-clone-more-accurate-211830/ and it looks like the second recipe came from the brewery, so that may be a closer approach. I can't possibly see Fat Tire having 8oz of chocolate malt...

Hope your beer turns out well!

Latest posts

Back