What did i get myself into??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know that hops are like 5 bucks for a pack now and thats not fly with me. So i bought some hops seeds and now i have no clue what to do. I was was just gunna put them in a pot or plant them in the ground and let nature do its thing...but i want to get some good hop buds outof these. Can somebody give me a very brief layout of what to do. Im sure there is something somehwere but im no planter so i dont know what everybody is talking about.

I have never heard of anyone getting seeds, didn't even know they were sold. I actually thought it was illegal to sell seeds because they can produce male plants which can contaminate the females (the females produce the cones). I'm pretty sure everyone here got rhizomes. Every seller I know of sells rhizomes, and that was a while ago, any rhizomes still out of the ground now are probably dead.

Never heard of people smoking it either, are you sure you're not talking about weed? It is a cousin of hops you know. ;)

People use hops for a variety of reasons, from allergy relief to a garden shade plant, but even the garden shops sell rhizomes, not seeds, and a google search for hop seeds turns up 0 sites for hop seeds.

Throw them in the ground, if it grows a 20 foot tall vine with hops on it, it's hops, if it doesn't, then it's not, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. And it seems like you have no idea what kind of hop they would be anyway. Sounds to me like you just got ripped off.

Never heard of people smoking it either, are you sure you're not talking about weed? It is a cousin of hops you know. ;)

People use hops for a variety of reasons, from allergy relief to a garden shade plant, but even the garden shops sell rhizomes, not seeds, and a google search for hop seeds turns up 0 sites for hop seeds.

Throw them in the ground, if it grows a 20 foot tall vine with hops on it, it's hops, if it doesn't, then it's not, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. And it seems like you have no idea what kind of hop they would be anyway. Sounds to me like you just got ripped off.

haha...yeah i am positive i am NOT talking about weed and i know u can smoke them because it is sometimes used as a sedative for people who cant sleep or anxiety. it was only 4 bucks off ebay so its not a big deal. and hops are the closest relative to weed so i can tell some friends to smoke this **** if i dont like wha happens...it looks like im not gunna get anything good out of this

Just in case your still interested. How to grow them.

http://www.freshops.com/garden.html
The soil should be tilled to create a weed free area. A stong support system is need for the plant to climb on. Look for space along fences, parage, or property lines. Plant in early spring once the threat of frost is gone but no later than May. the soil should be worked into a fine, friable condition prior to planting. In cold climates you can plant rhizomes in pots and transplant in June.
Plant 2 rhizomes per hill with the buds pointed up and cover with 1 inch of loose soil. Hills should be spaced at least 3 feet apart if the hills are of the same variety and 5 feet apart if they are different. The first year the hop plant requires frequent light watering.

You are probably out of luck until next year. Check out the homebrew shops, they usually start selling them in April, but may take orders before then.

haha...yeah i am positive i am NOT talking about weed and i know u can smoke them because it is sometimes used as a sedative for people who cant sleep or anxiety. it was only 4 bucks off ebay so its not a big deal. and hops are the closest relative to weed so i can tell some friends to smoke this **** if i dont like wha happens...it looks like im not gunna get anything good out of this

I bet it is a dang relaxing smoke. I get relaxed/sleepy after drinking an IPA or 2.

yeah i read that too...well my mom likes tea so whatever. so do i make them grow up around a post or something or just throw them in the ground

They grow up string. Put a stake in the ground, and tie the string up high, like the top of a tall fence or roof awning, somewhere that gets near full sun.

I bet it is a dang relaxing smoke. I get relaxed/sleepy after drinking an IPA or 2.

yeah i bet its like that

Just in case your still interested. How to grow them.

http://www.freshops.com/garden.html

You are probably out of luck until next year. Check out the homebrew shops, they usually start selling them in April, but may take orders before then.

aight thanks for ur help...i guess i will plant the seeds anyway cuz i got nothing to loose...but i wont be checkin everyday and i wont be worried about it

I'll bet those seeds you got are for the decorative variety. Some people plant them just for looks because they're a climbing vine. If they didn't give you a specific name/strain, that's likely what you have. I hear those aren't good for brewing.

Ive had hops seeds in the past and they are difficult to germinate. the seeds are a random mix of male and female plants and need to be wintered in order for them to sprout so you should plant them in the fall and hope to see some bines in the following spring.

I read that Colorado State U. has a seed collection in case of a disaster. I read "Hop seed" in the list but also was wondering about since all we hear about is rhizomes.

Oh well, plant and wait. Same for rhizomes, plant and wait. Takes about three seasons to produce buds any way.

Thus the problem with hop prices...takes a good three years to get production...this ship ain't turning around quickly. High prices are here for awhile....
Hopboy

Hop seeds are sold for ornamental gardening. There is absolutely no way for you to know what you have and each of the plants will be different. You'll also have a mix of male & female plants. People spend decades developing new hops, but Amarillo was a sport off of a Cascades plant.

Are you feeling lucky?

Back