What did I do wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomoncanterbury

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can provide some insight. As you can see, there's a lot of stuff floating around in there. I racked to a bottling bucket before bottling and I left the usual half inch or so of beer in the bottle when poured. My only idea is maybe it needs to condition longer? I only let it sit a week. Tastes great just the floaties are a little off putting.

Thanks.

IMG_20171027_172124.jpg

So, not to keep badgering you on the same topic but did you do one, continuous pour and stop once you got to that point or did you start to pour, stop, and then continue pouring?

The other questions that might help...
- How long has it been bottled?
- How long was it in the fridge?

Here's what I would do:

Before bottling - refrigerate the beer for a couple-three days in order to drop and compact all sorts of stuff.

During bottling - try to stay away from the trub as much as possible while you are racking to the bottling bucket.

After bottling - put the beer somewhere to carbonate (at about 70 degrees) for a full 2 weeks; three wouldn't hurt. Then, refrigerate for a couple-three days or up to a week before even thinking of trying one.

It just needs more time. You should not need to leave 1/2 inch in the bottle. That is a lot.

OP said it had only been a week, so we can reasonably read that is since bottling.

Adding to the pour suggestions, when pouring make it a single even pour with no glugging. Pour too fast and the air going into the bottle will disturb the sediment.

Here's what I would do:

Before bottling - refrigerate the beer for a couple-three days in order to drop and compact all sorts of stuff.

During bottling - try to stay away from the trub as much as possible while you are racking to the bottling bucket.

After bottling - put the beer somewhere to carbonate (at about 70 degrees) for a full 2 weeks; three wouldn't hurt. Then, refrigerate for a couple-three days or up to a week before even thinking of trying one.

Unfortunately I can't cold crash right now, I don't have the equipment/space so that'll be a problem to overcome in the new year after I move. I was using a swamp cooler for fermentation.

I thought I stayed above the trub but it's entirely possible I got some into the bottling bucket or disturbed it a bit and syphoned it into the bottling bucket.

Definitely didn't wait full two or three weeks for conditioning but i was impatient, it's my first ag batch so I wanted to taste it.

Another thought I had is that the bottles are slightly over-carbed and when I open them they foam over a bit so I thought maybe that is disturbing the sediment in the bottle.

Thanks.

What kind of beer is it and which yeast did you use. Looks like a lot of yeast was racked to the bottling bucket.

Could have been because primary was too short and the yeast didn't compact, the fermentor was moved before racking stirring up the yeast, or the racking cane went down into the yeast layer at the bottom of the fermentor.

Longer chill time in the frig may settle the yeast. A wheat beer will remain hazy but the yeast chunks will settle.

Another thought I had is that the bottles are slightly over-carbed and when I open them they foam over a bit so I thought maybe that is disturbing the sediment in the bottle.

Thanks.

Ah! ....that'll definitely give you a pour like you pictured . Sadly, not many workarounds for that.
Does it at least taste good?

What kind of beer is it and which yeast did you use. Looks like a lot of yeast was racked to the bottling bucket.

Could have been because primary was too short and the yeast didn't compact, the fermentor was moved before racking stirring up the yeast, or the racking cane went down into the yeast layer at the bottom of the fermentor.

Rye IPA using US-05 dry packet. Two weeks in primary may not have been long enough and I did move it before racking to bottling bucket so maybe that's why.

Thanks.

No, as mentioned above I left a good half inch in the bottle.
Sorry, missed that.

Well, you said that the bottle you checked was a bit over carbed too, could be yeast that was made in the bottle during carbonation. You also said that it's a bit early too.

Is others have said, keep your bottles in the fridge for week or more, this will also cold crash them, that will help with all the yeast anyways.

Sorry, missed that.

Well, you said that the bottle you checked was a bit over carbed too, could be yeast that was made in the bottle during carbonation. You also said that it's a bit early too.

Is others have said, keep your bottles in the fridge for week or more, this will also cold crash them, that will help with all the yeast anyways.

Thanks, as often is the case, I should just wait more.

For the over-carbed issue: a lot of times, 10 or 15 minutes in the freezer before opening will settle that down, if it isn't too bad.

You also have to have a nice steady pour. Any glugging will just stir up the sediment you waited so patiently to settle out.

Last edited:
Rye IPA using US-05 dry packet. Two weeks in primary may not have been long enough and I did move it before racking to bottling bucket so maybe that's why.

Thanks.

Two weeks in primary should be plenty of time.

The other place to look is equipment. What is your siphoning setup? Siphon and only hose will transfer more trub. What is your fermenter? I prefer ones with a punted bottom. Most of the time you can start your siphon and carefully lower to the punt.

Unfortunately I can't cold crash right now, I don't have the equipment/space so that'll be a problem to overcome in the new year after I move. I was using a swamp cooler for fermentation.

I thought I stayed above the trub but it's entirely possible I got some into the bottling bucket or disturbed it a bit and syphoned it into the bottling bucket.

Definitely didn't wait full two or three weeks for conditioning but i was impatient, it's my first ag batch so I wanted to taste it.

Thanks.

I think this is the reason for the floaties. It takes time for the yeast to settle and maybe a little more time if you also got some of the break material in the bottles too. The floating stuff may also be why your bottles foam over when you open them as the CO2 comes out of solution on these "nucleation points". My beers are cloudy when I sample too early but come out perfectly clear with some time.

Multitude of things to do and observations.
1) when you move the fermenter to rack to your bottling bucket, let it sit a while before transferring so that any stirred up trub can settle.
2) your fermentation time of 2 weeks should have been plenty long enough.
3) use a priming calculator to make sure you are using the right amount of priming sugar.
4) your bottles are not ready yet, wait another week or two. Three weeks is common at about 70 degrees. The sediment will have more time to compact on the bottom of the bottle.
5) more time bottle conditioning might also help with your foaming problem.
6) chill the bottles at least overnight, a few days might also help to compact the sediment.
6) chilling longer might also help with your foaming problems.
7) as already said, pour steadily and stop as soon as or before you see any sediment in the beer going into the glass.

Give it some more time and you will probably see improvement.
I test a bottle at 2 weeks, sometimes they seem good, but ALL of my bottle beers have tasted better at 3 weeks or longer.

So after a few days in the fridge and put it in the freezer for 15 mins before opening and it came out looking pretty good! Tastes great too! Thanks everyone for the help.

IMG_20171030_171638.jpg

Latest posts

Back