WHat did I do wrong??? Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slasher

Reaction score
Was doing a Pale Ale found one here.... I wrote it down but, can't refind the exact recipe....

Anyways it was

OG TGT 1.053, I hit 1.062 + .02 for temp adjustment...:drunk:

1# Crystal 60L
6# Muntons Ex Lite DME all added at boil... turned off heat, mixed well, added hops...

0.5 oz Yakima 60min
.5 oz Perle 30min
.8 oz Cascade 15min
2 oz Cascade 0 min

I couldn't find Perle, so I did
0.5 Yakima Magnum??? 60 min
.75 Cascade 30 min
.75 Cascade 15 min
1.5 Cascade flameout

I used Nottinghams dry yeast, no starter dumped in at 73 degrees

Will my higher OG mask my Hops? Had a thunderstorm pop up, so I got rained on a little but was under the patio umbrella mostly, then moved into the house after the boil and forgot to strain out the wort... So lots of hops in this batch...

Did my Hop adjustment throw my Bittering way off?

I was looking for an easy drinking Ale with a decent hoppy flavor, but will this end up a hopped up malty beer? Or a stupidly hoppy beer? I am curious...

I was thinking along the lines similiar to SNPA, but I think there are too many faux pas' in this batch.... Did I say it smells really hoppy? I am no hophead, but wondering how to nurse this beer along...

Am curious to what this beer will turn out like? Or if there are any steps I can take to help it through fermentation...

I am relaxed and drinking a Home brew, but wondering where do I go from here???:confused:

At this point, there is really only one way to find out what it is going to taste like.

Let it ferment and bottle as usual.

If it is too hoppy, I've heard that can decrease with time in the bottle, but I've never had a batch of homebrew stay around long enough for that to happen.

I usually just let the hops go into the fermenter. They end up under the yeast cake, so none of it gets into the bottle.

Looks relatively innocent at first glance. You'd have to use way more hops than you did to make something stupidly hoppy. +1 on the previous poster: ferment, bottle and drink.

May not taste like SNPA, but it'll certainly taste like beer!

Well It certainly won't be a SNPA.... But if you like SNPA your gonna enjoy your brew. Its gonna have a noticeable hop flavor. Nothing too crazy though. You'll like it I promise :).

Are you sure you hit your water volume right? Did you miss a top off after boil maybe?

Are you sure you hit your water volume right? Did you miss a top off after boil maybe?

No thats what is weird... I intentionally only started with 3 gal water (vice doing a full boil ) to try and make a and then topped off to my bucket fermenter to make 5 gallons stirred and took my readings.... Oh well it will be a beer, make take a few months of aging though... :mug:

No thats what is weird... I intentionally only started with 3 gal water (vice doing a full boil ) to try and make a and then topped off to my bucket fermenter to make 5 gallons stirred and took my readings.... Oh well it will be a beer, make take a few months of aging though... :mug:

Your gravity reading is high because you didn't get the top off water mixed well enough with the wort. Nothing to worry about, it happens all the time with partial boils.

I have to agree with double e5-the wort just probably wasn't mixed well enough after you topped off the fermenter with water. I did the same thing with one of my earlier brews and the OG was way higher than it should have been. As for the hops, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've noticed some of my beers smell hoppier during fermentation than they actually taste after conditioning, so I'd just let the yeast do what they do and bottle like usual. Hope it turns out okay!

Back