What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple roasted chicken with homegrown green beans and smashed potatoes. No money shot as I was starved and forgot!

6D9DC2FF-559E-4E05-ACCC-EB5F91D4488D.jpeg

Chicken Ballotine
Chicken deboned. Breast pounded out. Dark meat puréed in food processor and then rehydrated black trumpets, chestnut boletes, marjoram, salt and pepper were folded in. Skin was laid out over plastic wrap. Breast meat was placed on top and seasoned. Dark meat was added down the middle and then rolled up, tied and placed into the fridge overnight. Bones were roasted and then used to make stock. Next Day - Sous vide cooked for 2 hours at 155f and then reverse seared.
Other stuff on the plate.
Boiled redskins until they slide off the knife, chilled, diced, then mixed with a little garlic and seasoned. Pushed into oven proof ramekins with a pat of butter on top and baked at 350.
Butternut squash diced and roasted in the oven. Tossed with butter, parsley, salt and pepper.
Mustard Sauce- shallots, white wine, whole grain mustard, cream. Sweat the minced shallots. Add white wine reduce. Add mustard and cream, reduce. Season with salt and pepper.

Attachments

• Chicken ballotine.JPG
    Chicken ballotine.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
I tried making homemade tortilla chips last night, complete failure. I mixed up some masa, pressed, and fried. Grease sponges.
We have a large Mexican population in Detroit and they sell the raw, corn tortillas from their stores which make beautiful chips. I can't make them any better so I buy theirs.
Sorry to hear about the sponges. The grease sponge factor occurs when the temperature is too low or goes too low. Is that what happened?
I've cooked hundreds of pounds of chips and that's what I come up with.

I think off-the-shelf tortillas would be too thick.
Saw more info. They were a little moist to begin with? That would make sense.
I saw you'd rather go for homemade (nice).
In any case, I've found the thicker ones make the best chips. Temp control (ha-ha just like beer) is vital. The chips get a titch more brown but the family and friends like those more.
Not saying your version wouldn't blow all contenders out of the ring.

Chicken Ballotine
Chicken deboned. Breast pounded out. Dark meat puréed in food processor and then rehydrated black trumpets, chestnut boletes, marjoram, salt and pepper were folded in. Skin was laid out over plastic wrap. Breast meat was placed on top and seasoned. Dark meat was added down the middle and then rolled up, tied and placed into the fridge overnight. Bones were roasted and then used to make stock. Next Day - Sous vide cooked for 2 hours at 155f and then reverse seared.
Boiled redskins until they slide off the knife, chilled, diced, then mixed with a little garlic and seasoned. Pushed into oven proof ramekins with a pat of butter on top and baked at 350.
Butternut squash diced and roasted in the oven. Tossed with butter, parsley, salt and pepper.
Mustard Sauce- shallots, white wine, whole grain mustard, cream. Sweat the minced shallots. Add white wine reduce. Add mustard and cream, reduce. Season with salt and pepper.

Now you're just showing off!😉

meat four.jpg
meat one.jpg
meat three (1).jpg
meet 2.jpg

Three and a half pounds prime rib. Cooked to 120°F. Used a convection oven for the first time. I did 475°F for 17 minutes and then an hour and ten minutes at 275°F.
No real complaints but I wouldn't mind a better method (only with oven) if it's out there. It's possible I just got used to USDA Prime and the one above was USDA Choice.
Don't get me wrong--if the above was as good as it gets, I'm okay.

Chicken Ballotine
OMG, that's just epic! Very nicely done!

Chicken Ballotine

That is a Michelin star-worthy.

And, just as an aside, this arrived yesterday :) Love this stuff. Used the last of my previous bottle on some leftover beef stew a couple of days ago!

View attachment 756443

:thumbsup:I love this hot sauce from Founders! It has a very unique flavor profile. My bottle is about kicked as well. My wife got it for me for Christmas last year.

:thumbsup:I love this hot sauce from Founders! It has a very unique flavor profile. My bottle is about kicked as well. My wife got it for me for Christmas last year.
I ordered from Founder's again this time, because it ends up being cheaper than ordering from BLiS. Of course, I ordered a couple of other things as shown below. Last time I got their steak sauce too, and it's quite good as well.
IMG_7623.jpg

Those look great. What's the main ingredient that makes them low-carb (if that's similar to Keto)?

Egg whites, mayo, almond flour, oat fiber, baking powder, psyllium husk, salt, a little water. Easy to whip up and the little nooks and crannies are good at hanging onto condiments. I've even done grilled cheese with decent results!

I'll post my recipe if anyone wants to try it.

Egg whites, mayo, almond flour, oat fiber, baking powder, psyllium husk, salt, a little water. Easy to whip up and the little nooks and crannies are good at hanging onto condiments. I've even done grilled cheese with decent results!
Thanks for the info. I really should have guessed that nuts make Keto possible, oh well.

Made another thin crispy crust pizza for my spoiled grandson Friday afternoon :) (note to self: dock the dough so it does not bubble so much!) lol
IMG_7629.jpg

Not shown is the second pizza with Pepperoni, Genoa Salami and Calabrian chilies, and with much fancier cheeses :)

I am just loving the cracker crust results I'm getting with this recipe!

I picked up a bone-in shoulder Sunday for $0.97/lb on sale at Kroger. Was just going to make sausage with it, but after seeing your wonderful picture I may just smoke it! Nicely done!
Thank you, it was tasty. I'm having it for lunch again today. That's a good price, I'd smoke one and grab another for sausage making.

2 AM? Who's better than you. Hopefully your bride swooned while exclaiming, "My hero".

Spectacular looking piece of pork by the way.
Thank you. A few years ago she asked me to smoke a turkey for her work Christmas party....the afternoon before the party. I did it.... I'm too nice.

Those turned out perfect this time!!! Just look wonderful! Now I want details on recipe and process, because I would just love to duplicate results as good as those! Please :)
This is the source of the recipe:
https://littlespoonfarm.com/sourdou...USLPvxLAUMp0#sourdough-english-muffins-recipeWhat I did differently from the first batch was made them smaller by cutting circles with an empty veggitable can rather than an empty ricotta cheese can (the way it comes from a Brooklyn shop), I accidentally ommited the sugar (no problem) and used a 1/3 cup starter that doubled overnight. Did some stretch and fold with the dough rather than simply kneading the dough wanting a more open crumb. The rest is in the recipe. Thanks again to @Brewbuzzard for the first post of sourdough English muffin.

Back