What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every January 1st my mom would traditionally make a big kettle of sauerkraut with pork, and serve it, with its juice, over mashed potatoes. She said it was to bring good luck during the upcoming year.
She passed away this past summer, and so in her honor I made it today. A slice of buttered rye bread made it perfect. Best of luck to all this year!!

View attachment 754264
We do the exact same thing. Add black-eyed peas tho. I did the pork loin in the sous vide last few yrs.

Vadouvan curry pot pie with ground turkey, chickpeas and veggies. Topped with fresh cilantro and mild ghost pepper hot sauce (not pictured)
3waVRIF.jpg

A2VeeAW.jpg

I'm on a deep-fried kick lately. Just made some coconut shrimp. This was a big hit with the wife.

View attachment 756098
Those look great Andrew!!

I'm curious what you and others are here doing with your oil after frying. Do you filter and reuse? If so how and with what? Any special storage between uses? Just curious, because I seem to waste a lot of oil when deep frying stuff, mostly because I leave it in the fryer or pan and forget about it till I have to toss it.

I'm a deep fryer person.
For me, oil usage and the amount of waste depends on what's being cooked. Turkeys use a ton of oil to begin with so if you don't do a lot of turkeys back to back (weeks apart) or a lot of deep frying with smaller things, it's a write-off. There's a lot of turkey juice that gets into the peanut oil. It burns off but the particles degrade the oil. That's where a real filtering system would be good but I don't bother with it. We can return used oil to a place and they recycle/repurpose.
But with normal sized things like chicken, tortilla chips or vegetables, I cool and funnel back into the container. I make sure I don't let any of the darkened particles in. So I don't use a filter or even a sieve. The debris sits on the bottom and is the last to come out and there's little waste.
I store the oil in a cool place. It will last months and the obvious thing of using the old oil first and supplementing with new.
I'm curious what you and others are here doing with your oil after frying. Do you filter and reuse? If so how and with what? Any special storage between uses? Just curious, because I seem to waste a lot of oil when deep frying stuff, mostly because I leave it in the fryer or pan and forget about it till I have to toss it.

Tfal: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ7QFGM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_Z82W48THCBQFQ7V57NR1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

When you're done and the oil has cooled, just turn the dial on front to Filter and the oil drains right into a removable oil reservoir, filtered clean. Slide out reservoir and toss in fridge until next use. Next use, open spout and pour into fryer. I've used it a bunch and it is painless. Filter really does clean the oil up perfectly. Below is oil that was used for funnel cakes, shrimp, cheese sticks, fries, tots, and oysters.

1642537764373.png

1642537776686.png
1642537781199.png

I seldom use a deep fryer but I do fry in 2" -3" often. Let it cool completely then carefully pour off all but the last bits with any stuff left in it into appropriately sized Mason jars, then use the attachment on my Foodsaver to vacuum seal the lid on it, write on the lid with a whiteboard marker what kind of oil it is, and then use the old hash system to keep track of how many times it has been used. And I use the "sniff system" to tell me when it's time to start fresh. I keep separate oils for meats and for non-meats.

I seldom use a deep fryer but I do fry in 2" -3" often. Let it cool completely then carefully pour off all but the last bits with any stuff left in it into appropriately sized Mason jars, then use the attachment on my Foodsaver to vacuum seal the lid on it, write on the lid with a whiteboard marker what kind of oil it is, and then use the old hash system to keep track of how many times it has been used. And I use the "sniff system" to tell me when it's time to start fresh. I keep separate oils for meats and for non-meats.

Yea, I made some stanky crabcakes in it a few weeks ago and had to toss the oil after.

Tonight, corn fritters and onion rings.

For re using oil I put a ss scour in a funnel and pour into separate oil container. I use fresh oil in fry daddy for fries etc then I find the used oil works best for frying fish in cast iron then the oil is pretty much done. Using dry batter on fish there is some that drops off.

Yea, I made some stanky crabcakes in it a few weeks ago and had to toss the oil after.

Tonight, corn fritters and onion rings.
Maybe it’s an old wives tale, but frying some potatoes is said to pull fishiness and other smells from oil and adds flavor to the taters.

Went to the woods for dinner. Found some oysters, a big cauliflower, two porcinis, and a couple handfuls of candy caps. I made a chorizo and beef wild mushroom meat sauce for dinner. For dessert I made some candy cap mushroom crisps. Now, if another few days off rain could come through that would be super!!

Porcini
PXL_20220118_221143453.jpg

Crappy photo
PXL_20220119_040734851.jpg

These had quite a nice crunch to them
PXL_20220119_042313633.PORTRAIT.jpg

Tfal: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ7QFGM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_Z82W48THCBQFQ7V57NR1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

When you're done and the oil has cooled, just turn the dial on front to Filter and the oil drains right into a removable oil reservoir, filtered clean. Slide out reservoir and toss in fridge until next use. Next use, open spout and pour into fryer. I've used it a bunch and it is painless. Filter really does clean the oil up perfectly. Below is oil that was used for funnel cakes, shrimp, cheese sticks, fries, tots, and oysters.

View attachment 756181
View attachment 756182View attachment 756183
Oh, that's just awesome! I can't believe I have not seen that before! Back when I was a kid and worked at Shakey's Pizza we did fried chicken and fried breaded potatoes for a lunch buffet in two big industrial pressure fryers. Those would pump the oil through filters which we did after each shift. Your fryer is like a home scale version of that with gravity instead of a pump and the convivence of a storage system! Just absolutely cool!

No wonder you are on a "deep frying kick"!! :)

Oh, that's just awesome! I can't believe I have not seen that before! Back when I was a kid and worked at Shakey's Pizza we did fried chicken and fried breaded potatoes for a lunch buffet in two big industrial pressure fryers. Those would pump the oil through filters which we did after each shift. Your fryer is like a home scale version of that with gravity instead of a pump and the convivence of a storage system! Just absolutely cool!

No wonder you are on a "deep frying kick"!! :)

I tried making homemade tortilla chips last night, complete failure. I mixed up some masa, pressed, and fried. Grease sponges.

Bummer. Did you make and cook the tortillas first? Corn tortillas are so cheap I just start with them when making tortilla chips :)

I should have dry-fried the tortillas first (I do make corn tortillas fairly often, so I have a bunch of corn flour on hand already). I'll try again this wkend. Anyway, I want to make it from scratch as much as possible. Also, I think off-the-shelf tortillas would be too thick. When I made my masa last night, I mixed it extra wet so I could press it really thin.

Back