What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IDK, Hellman’s has changed… not as good, but Aldi has a mayo Burman’s that I’ve been using seems like the good ol’ Hellman’s. As for Miracle whip :barf::barf::barf:

Okay Hoppy2B. Is that moji a good thing or a bad thing?
1637827738398.png
1637827738398.png
1637827738398.png

The only reason for Miracle Whip in our house growing up was the once or twice a year it got used in my Grandma's Heavenly Hash recipe. It got mixed with whipped cream and then the fruits went in - fresh orange segments, pineapple chunks, sliced bananas, chunks of apple, and then walnuts and miniature marshmallows. Gawd I loved that stuff! Decidedly NOT keto-friendly though.

I have been a Best Foods (Hellman's) girl all my life, until about 3 years ago - I didn't want the crappy oils any more. MUCH taste testing ensued and we finally found Chosen Foods mayo (avocado oil) and that has become the standard in this house now. And yes, I am looking forward to turkey sandwiches slathered with mayo, homemade SF cranberry jalapeno sauce, and piled with turkey breast meat! Yummo!

Yesterday I butchered the 18.5 pound bird, put it in brine, and this morning I took it out, rinsed, vacuum sealed, and it's in the sous vide. I'll remove the breasts when they've been in there at 150* for 5 hours, crank the heat up to 175* and continue to cook the thighs for another 4 hours. Then they'll go into the fridge; tomorrow I'll take them out and pat dry and broil til the skin gets golden and crispy. Can't wait!
Avocado oil is very good for you. I've seen Hellmans with olive oil but not avocado oil. I use olive and avocado oil to cook with both have a very high smoke point, 500 degrees F

Sir Kennsingtons has an avocado oil mayo. Taste better than the Chosen Foods to me too. All yolks.

Dukes though is the household standard now. Cider vinegar and no added sugar. Blue Plate is rather tasty too. Its all yolks but has distilled vinegar and some sugar.

Olive oil has a low smoke point. Avocado oil is high. Highly refined olive oil is sorta high. Dont fry with EVO. Its roughly 100F less than avocado oil.

Last edited:
When I make my own mayo, it's pretty good (tastes like mayo) but I can't make it better than the ones I like which have the same ingredients I'm using and no preservatives. So I buy it.
Emulsifying stuff never gets old but I can get my fix with salad dressing.

When I make my own mayo, it's pretty good (tastes like mayo) but I can't make it better than the ones I like which have the same ingredients I'm using and no preservatives. So I buy it.
Emulsifying stuff never gets old but I can get my fix with salad dressing.
My MIL always made her own mayo and salad dressing, and my wife will occasionally make mayo, but her vinaigrette is always excellent

My MIL always made her own mayo and salad dressing, and my wife will occasionally make mayo, but her vinaigrette is always excellent
Salad dressing are especially good by hand. I love Ranch (and most others) but the store ones have a fake flavor, so much so that I just have to make it or I won't enjoy it. My wife loves the vinaigrette and it's mostly the only one she uses.
Rambling on about the mayo, even in the ones buy and like, there's almost an off-flavor once in a while I don't like. It could just be me or maybe the product wasn't made to spec.

I have made my own mayo dozens of times but I like the flavor of the Chosen Foods better than what I make! Will have to look and see if anyone here carries the Sir Kensington's - Costco here has the Chosen Foods.

Even the Best Foods with olive oil or avocado oil also include some crappy oils too, been a while since I looked at them - but if it says soybean oil or canola oil, it goes right back on the shelf!

I'm not familiar with Chosen Foods or Best Foods unless I'm not aware of what they make. Oil does seem to be key for flavor. Kraft makes a ranch--tastes fake, fake, fake and it forced me to find a reasonably good recipe.

I use the below for Ranch dressing. Been using whole milk since I never have buttermilk to hand. If anyone has any improvements, I'm listening.

1 C mayo
3/4 C sour cream (or more)
½ t dried chives
½ t dried parsley
¼ t dried dill weed
¼ t garlic powder
¼ t onion powder
1/8 t salt
1/8 t ground black pepper
Buttermilk as needed (approx. a cup). For regular milk start with a ¼ cup.
Mix all of the ingredients together well first before you add the buttermilk or milk.
Wisk in the liquid slowly. If the flavor is a little strong, add a bit more sour
cream.

So tomorrow my wife and I are cooking Thanksgiving in France for some family members. We bought a 8 kilo turkey from a farm, he cut in half for us so we'll cook half tomorrow, half at Christmas(maybe smoked). My wife is making pumpkin pie from a pumpkin from my brother's garden, and we'll do wild rice, green beans with wild mushrooms, and candied sweet potatoes.

I'm not familiar with Chosen Foods or Best Foods unless I'm not aware of what they make. Oil does seem to be key for flavor. Kraft makes a ranch--tastes fake, fake, fake and it forced me to find a reasonably good recipe.

I use the below for Ranch dressing. Been using whole milk since I never have buttermilk to hand. If anyone has any improvements, I'm listening.

1 C mayo
3/4 C sour cream (or more)
½ t dried chives
½ t dried parsley
¼ t dried dill weed
¼ t garlic powder
¼ t onion powder
1/8 t salt
1/8 t ground black pepper
Buttermilk as needed (approx. a cup). For regular milk start with a ¼ cup.
Mix all of the ingredients together well first before you add the buttermilk or milk.
Wisk in the liquid slowly. If the flavor is a little strong, add a bit more sour
cream.

Either I'm completely blind (possible!) or you didn't put the amount of milk there?? I was going to say, you can sour/curdle the milk by just adding a little white vinegar to it. That would give your dressing a bit more tang. But if you're happy with it as-is - why bother? :D

Best Foods is just the west-coast name for what goes as Hellman's everywhere else in the country.

FrancoAmerican Thanksgiving. Not pictured for some reason are the wild rice, sweet potatoes, mushrooms and gravy. Turkey with sides, cheese plate, desserts. btw, that's 1/2 of an 8 kilo(18 pounds) turkey, I had to cut about 2 inches off the bottom of the leg so it fit in our oven.

Attachments

• 20211127_133824.jpg
    20211127_133824.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211127_153446.jpg
    20211127_153446.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20211127_143647.jpg
    20211127_143647.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20211127_153425.jpg
    20211127_153425.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20211127_131546.jpg
    20211127_131546.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Drinks: 2 bottles of Vouvray sparkling wine, a magnum of 2018 Chinon, a magnum of Chinon(Philippe Brocourt personal stash)called PMG and 2 bottles of Champagne with dessert. Not bad for 7 people

Attachments

• 20211127_153901.jpg
    20211127_153901.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20211127_161742.jpg
    20211127_161742.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20211127_125511.jpg
    20211127_125511.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Either I'm completely blind (possible!) or you didn't put the amount of milk there??
Sorry, just a poorly written recipe; the 1/4 C of milk isn't listed where it should be. I use enough milk to get the right consistency so it's an "as needed" thing.
Thanks for the tip on curdling.

Avocado oil is very good for you. I've seen Hellmans with olive oil but not avocado oil. I use olive and avocado oil to cook with both have a very high smoke point, 500 degrees F

It's all ok in moderation. When I get a helping of something, I practice moderation. I also practice moderation on the 2nd and 3rd helpings. I'm still here!

Back