What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grilled top sirloin cap and mushrooms. Roasted sweet potatoes. Sauteed kale.

20211012_194317.jpg

Wish I had some better finished shots, but we made pierogi last night for National Pierogi Day. Not something I had much growing up aside from the boxes of frozen Mrs. T's pierogi, but my father-in-law is Polish so we have them at least once a year there.

First time I've made them myself at home. Some were cabbage/onion, some were sauerkraut, and some with pulled pork from a butt roast I smoked.

Those Peirogi look like the real deal. Great job. Nice to see someone do something other than potato and cheese. Love cabbage pierogi!

Those Peirogi look like the real deal. Great job. Nice to see someone do something other than potato and cheese. Love cabbage pierogi!

Thank you! I'm already brainstorming for next time. I make a few batches of kimchi throughout the year, and I'd to use some in pierogi.

Maybe some with sauerkraut again but add pastrami and swiss cheese to make reuben pierogi, and top them with a dab of Russian dressing.

I also have some leftover chopped brisket point from a recent smoke. I'm thinking about filling some pierogi with that, boiling them, smoking them for a bit, then the final pan frying or possibly grilling instead.

Thank you! I'm already brainstorming for next time. I make a few batches of kimchi throughout the year, and I'd to use some in pierogi.

Maybe some with sauerkraut again but add pastrami and swiss cheese to make reuben pierogi, and top them with a dab of Russian dressing.

I also have some leftover chopped brisket point from a recent smoke. I'm thinking about filling some pierogi with that, boiling them, smoking them for a bit, then the final pan frying or possibly grilling instead.

I like the reuben idea. You could add smoked cream cheese to the brisket, it might save you from actually smoking the pierogi. My aunt and cousin make pierogi often. They did some steak and cheese pierogi last year that turned out nice(with onion an jalepeno). I gotta say cabbage/sauerkraut or mushroom are my favs.

They come pre-stuffed...one of our favorites!
Told wife about seeing this here, and she says "I saw that last time we were in there". lol She does not like Salmon. Actually she does not like Lox, but she unfortunately extrapolates to all salmon. I'm going have to give this a try and maybe change her mind :)

Last edited:
I was certain that I posted this Tri-Tip from last Sunday already, but I don't see it anywhere. I swear this is the best tasking piece of meat I have ever cooked! Much better than my last Tri-Tip. I pretty much winged this recipe based on a bunch of different recipes. First off, I found a beautifully marbled tri-tip at Kroger that was about 3 pounds. Seasoned it with salt pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and New Mexico chili powder from Rancho Gordo and let it sit in the fridge for about 3 hours. Smoked it on the pellet grill at 225 degrees F until 125-130 internal, basting every 15 minutes with a mix of red wine vinegar, canola oil, crushed garlic, and Dijon mustard, then gave it a really quick sear. Rested for 15-20 minutes. Served with RG Pinquito beans and Caesar salad. Oh, and Thai Drunken noodles from last night. Noodles were overcooked but still tasty.

IMG_7076.jpg
IMG_7078.jpg
IMG_7086.jpg

I was certain that I posted this Tri-Tip from last Sunday already, but I don't see it anywhere. I swear this is the best tasking piece of meat I have ever cooked! Much better than my last Tri-Tip. I pretty much winged this recipe based on a bunch of different recipes. First off, I found a beautifully marbled tri-tip at Kroger that was about 3 pounds. Seasoned it with salt pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and New Mexico chili powder from Rancho Gordo and let it sit in the fridge for about 3 hours. Smoked it on the pellet grill at 225 degrees F until 125-130 internal, basting every 15 minutes with a mix of red wine vinegar, canola oil, crushed garlic, and Dijon mustard, then gave it a really quick sear. Rested for 15-20 minutes. Served with RG Pinquito beans and Caesar salad. Oh, and Thai Drunken noodles from last night. Noodles were overcooked but still tasty.

View attachment 745701View attachment 745703View attachment 745704
Tri tip is such a great tasting cut of beef as it is, and yours looks freaking awesome.

I live near Santa Maria, where Tri tip is huge. On weekends there are several large portable bbqs setup throughout the city, usually in parking lots, cooking to-go tri tip dinners. It's near to impossible to drive around and not smell trip tip grilling.

Tri-tip rules! It’s a very beefy tasting cut.
It’s practically foolproof as well.
If anyone out there hasn’t tried it. Do it. Now.

Just let the meat rest for an hour or so at room temp. Season w your favorite rub. Then cook to an internal temp of 125ish. Then sear if you choose.

I sometimes will smoke on my pellet grill but I also just throw on grill as well.

Continuing with my excursion into Greek, and in this case Greekish, recipes, I made Spanakopita Pinwheels :) Just awesome. Next I need to make traditional Spanakopita with filo dough instead of this puff pastry roll up version. The filling is just amazing. Used block President Feta from Costco and it's a very nice Feta. These guys did not last long! :)View attachment 745010

That looks great.

If you want a real culinary challenge (and I know you do :) ), make your own filo dough too. It can be done at home.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/what-did-i-cook-this-weekend.435844/page-144#post-7074339
And if you have phyllo dough, you can make somte tarts. I totally made up this recipe, but just cut up some apples, make a sugar syrup, throw a bit of cinammon in there, and fold it up and put some of that syrup or powdered sugar on the outside and bake. Great!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/what-did-i-cook-this-weekend.435844/page-143#post-7073850

That looks great.

If you want a real culinary challenge (and I know you do :) ), make your own filo dough too. It can be done at home.

Thanks. I will certainly give it a try at some point, but I just put frozen filo on the grocery list for this round of spanakopita :)

I made a strudel once a long time ago that was great. I think I used filo dough for that. I need to find that recipe and make that again too!

Costco has had some mighty fine tri-tips of late! Really well-marbled. I've been seasoning them with that buttery steak stuff from Cotsco, and a little Pepper Plant powdered seasoning, vacuum seal and then throwing them in the sous vide set at 132* for about 5 hours. Take out and pat dry, sear in a very hot cast iron skillet with a little pastured tallow, 2 minutes each side. So yummy! KOTC prefers that over anything for sandwiches, sliced very thinly and with a little extra-sharp Tillamook on top.

View attachment 745561View attachment 745562First time finding and cooking a lobster mushroom. I cut into bite sized pieces and sautéed in butter and olive oil. Then made omelette in the same pan, turning it a beautiful reddish color.
It has a very strange texture, firm yet soft when you bite into it.

I love mushroom season!
I will have to research ND edible mushrooms. I know there are some. Wild shrooms are awesome power food paired with wild game.

47° this morning. T-shirt and shorts this evening. Not exactly what I was thinking when I said winter soups and stews, but always great. I am doing tortilla soup. Picture is the soup base ingredients before adding broth and simmering.
BDA1EA84-0374-489D-AAA7-5B94E5E1530D.jpeg

Maybe will get a plated picture but I’m pretty starving, so who knows! Lol

Yum I love chicken thighs best anyway!
That's what I was telling my brother--totally worked out for the best. I really just wanted to cook something that wasn't done in 8 minutes (burgers and steaks) because I wanted to sit outside and enjoy the weather.
I used Trader Joe's 21 spices (called something like that) and a couple of those small envelopes of Goya Sazon seasoning and olive oil.
I've gotten into the habit of making extra food for my neighbor; he's getting older and all that.

These innocent looking bakers are in for something special when they reach their final destination. Hope I didn't create too much suspense!
Two pounds there, for reference.
potato soup.jpg

I'm sure he appreciates it.
My wife just said five minutes ago, "Nothing puts a smile on that man's face like food does."
Speaking of which:
soup.jpg

She just dropped off some of this potato soup. His has shredded cheddar on it.
Baked Potato Soup. The bowl above is "naked." I usually put shredded cheddar, bacon bits, sour cream and chives in/on it.
Made a gallon of it, freezes well.

No picture, but yesterday I threw together a pot of keto chicken noodle soup. KOTC and I were both feeling a bit "under the weather" so I used a can of that Costco chicken breast, and the liquid in it; chicken stock; shirataki noodles, cut into manageable lengths; and then ginger, garlic, turmeric, black pepper, Pepper Plant spice mix, dehydrated onion bits, dash of Worcestershire and tamari. Let it simmer about 20 minutes. At the table we added a few dashes of home-fermented ginger beer vinegar. Really hit the spot! The turmeric makes it such a pretty color too. Today we both feel much better. Chicken noodle soup cures all!

pot of keto chicken noodle soup.
That sounds really good. Speaking of turmeric (I've been using it for decades), I started adding a titch to my omelet in the morning. Natural food coloring, if nothing else.
General, not-directed-at-anyone rant alert:
I'm familiar with no/low carb benefits (might also be called "proper eating." With X amount of carbs over a 3-6 day period, my energy level reaches bursting. I see the "low carb bread" which deals with "net carbs" which I'm still fuzzy on. but I like to put my meat on something once in a while.
I'm still reeling that, some years ago, Thanksgiving food comas were blamed on...TURKEY! Tryptophan in the turkey, I believe. It's not the marshmallow salad, the stuffing, the sweet/mashed potatoes or the overconsumption of these items--definitely not. /s
I was flabbergasted. I even sat down and ate like 12oz of turkey and waited for that awful, bloated, food coma to hit me. It didn't, of course; I only felt like I wasn't hungry but quite alert.
Anyway....

Back