What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
306281CE-0609-4BA8-9411-938FC30C9A9B.jpeg
Souse vide pork ribs finished on the grill, corn, potato salad, cucumber salad, and not pictured hot dogs…. Feeling stuffed.

View attachment 734363Chewy :confused:eye round steaks, sweet potato and salad.
I love the flavor of eye round but I've learned to sous vide it for about 12 hours minimum first, then pansear or grill the outside til you get nice color, if I want to eat it as a steak.

My favorite method with that cut though is to cook it til medium rare, then put it on the slicer and slice it nice and thin for sandwiches!

I love the flavor of eye round but I've learned to sous vide it for about 12 hours minimum first, then pansear or grill the outside til you get nice color, if I want to eat it as a steak.

My favorite method with that cut though is to cook it til medium rare, then put it on the slicer and slice it nice and thin for sandwiches!
Yes, thank you for the tips. I usually roast the eye round and slice it thin and it is normally tender and juicy. Picking up these steaks was about time, cost and availability.

A couple of things I don't think I have posted. The first is what has become my go to potato salad. Named southern red potato salad, it has no mayonnaise at all and is closer to a german potato salad. We serve it while still warm and cold with leftovers. Just love it.
IMG_6643.jpg

Blackened Mahi Mahi with coconut rice and grilled asparagus for dinner the other night. Did tilapia for the wife since she does not like Mahi for some reason.
IMG_6650.jpg

Another Caprese salad just because it has become one of our favorite summer things. Not as pretty as the last but every bit as good. A little bit of reall nice balsamic drizzled on this one with the same expensive fancy olive oil I reserve for things like this :)
IMG_6652.jpg

And finally, a lousy picture of Thai Drunken Noodles in progress. I did not get any plated pictures in better light. I used the recipe that Andrew posted with a few mods to the sauce. It was amazing, and will become a new standard. I did not get any leftovers last night because wife ate them before I got home from work! So I would call that success :)
IMG_6654.jpg

A couple of things I don't think I have posted. The first is what has become my go to potato salad. Named southern red potato salad, it has no mayonnaise at all and is closer to a german potato salad. We serve it while still warm and cold with leftovers. Just love it.
View attachment 734883

Travis would you share your recipe for the potato salad? That looks divine!

meats.jpg

3.45# Boneless chuck short rib $14/lb.
4.67# beef chuck pot roast $5.49/lb.
Ground the two together into burger with a KitchenAid attachment. The cost was cheaper than buying from my usual meat place (Fairway Packing Company) and the taste is either just as good or better. As with owning a slicer, the grinder attachment will pay for itself after four or so uses.

View attachment 735025
3.45# Boneless chuck short rib $14/lb.
4.67# beef chuck pot roast $5.49/lb.
Ground the two together into burger with a KitchenAid attachment. The cost was cheaper than buying from my usual meat place (Fairway Packing Company) and the taste is either just as good or better. As with owning a slicer, the grinder attachment will pay for itself after four or so uses.

We like to do chuck and brisket together, makes a dandy blend!

Recently we started buying from a local producer - grass-fed/pastured beef, then they grind all the primal cuts together - loin, brisket, rounds, chucks, every muscle cut on the animal - and boy is it good. Runs out at about $8/lb which I'm happy to pay and nice to keep it local too.

Travis would you share your recipe for the potato salad? That looks divine!
Happy to, as always. Credit to southern living. I usually double this.

Southern Red Potato Salad (halved) – Southern Living

Ingredients

• 1.5 pounds red baby new potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1 1/2-in. pieces (about 9 cups)
  • 8 cups water
  • kosher salt
  • 4 center-cut bacon slices, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion (from 1/2 onion)
  • 2 scallions, sliced (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1.5 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoons sour cream
  • 1 teaspoons granulated sugar
  • 1/8 cup chopped fresh dill
  • 1/8 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
Directions

• Place potatoes, water, and 2 tablespoons of the salt in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over high.
  • Reduce heat to medium-high; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are fork-tender, about 8 minutes. Drain.
  • While potatoes simmer, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes.
  • Transfer bacon to a plate using a slotted spoon; reserve drippings in skillet.
  • Add onion and scallions to skillet; cook over medium, stirring often, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
  • Remove from heat; whisk in vinegar, mustard, sour cream, and sugar.
  • Add hot potatoes; toss gently to coat.
  • Transfer potato mixture to a large bowl; stir in dill, parsley, pepper, and remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons salt.
  • Serve warm or at room temperature.

Happy to, as always. Credit to southern living. I usually double this.

Southern Red Potato Salad (halved) – Southern Living

Ingredients

• 1.5 pounds red baby new potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1 1/2-in. pieces (about 9 cups)
  • 8 cups water
  • kosher salt
  • 4 center-cut bacon slices, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion (from 1/2 onion)
  • 2 scallions, sliced (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1.5 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoons sour cream
  • 1 teaspoons granulated sugar
  • 1/8 cup chopped fresh dill
  • 1/8 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
Directions

• Place potatoes, water, and 2 tablespoons of the salt in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over high.
  • Reduce heat to medium-high; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are fork-tender, about 8 minutes. Drain.
  • While potatoes simmer, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes.
  • Transfer bacon to a plate using a slotted spoon; reserve drippings in skillet.
  • Add onion and scallions to skillet; cook over medium, stirring often, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
  • Remove from heat; whisk in vinegar, mustard, sour cream, and sugar.
  • Add hot potatoes; toss gently to coat.
  • Transfer potato mixture to a large bowl; stir in dill, parsley, pepper, and remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons salt.
  • Serve warm or at room temperature.
Thank you, Travis! That sounds as good as it looks.....

Grilled venison that I grilled over the coal to get a good surface on it, then placed it away from the coal, threw on some woodchips and put on the lid for ~2hrs. Served with oven made potatoes, onions and carrots with honey and thyme. And cantarell sauce.
20210714_170919.jpg
20210714_171612.jpg

The pics don't really do it justice, it was really bloody, like barely medium rare. And tasted like the vaginus of a virgin angel.

Last edited:
Oh man this rub is GOOD. Put it on these sirloins, great flavor without tasting like the steak was covered with rub.

Cooked the steaks on weber grill, griddle plate over coals. I get that sucker super hot (600-700F) then toss them on there. Crunchy on the outside, tender and med-rare inside.

1626576358063.png

1626576424877.png

Oh man this rub is GOOD. Put it on these sirloins, great flavor without tasting like the steak was covered with rub.

Cooked the steaks on weber grill, griddle plate over coals. I get that sucker super hot (600-700F) then toss them on there. Crunchy on the outside, tender and med-rare inside.

View attachment 735963

I bought 6 bottles of it at Costco because I was afraid they'd quit carrying it, LOL! It is really good.

^^ solid socarrat there 👍 I don't think I've ever had it that nice on mine. Getting that right is a balance between getting the rice cooked and keeping it from getting burned. I've been meaning to make a big paella this summer, hopefully soon.
Thank you, I don’t have a paella pan, so this was cooked in my largest ceramic non-stick skillet on the stove where I can easily control the heat. I only give that detail, because many are cooked on a grill by traditionalists, according to what I’ve read.

Last edited:
Back