What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Birthday was last weekend but haven't been able to post pics lately for some reason

Wanted some blue crab and cheap beer
20210605_155706.jpg

Shallow-fried chicken, naked - I brine it first for 24 hours, then rinse, cut it up, pat dry and put the pieces on a rack and back in the fridge to dry out the skin for at least several hours. Then fried in about 2" of avocado oil in KOTC's Mom's 12" cast iron chicken frying skillet. Comes out crispy-skinned and moist inside! Here is what was left after the two of us ate our fill for dinner.

B415C206-2839-4571-828E-2FAB9E98329F.jpeg

Shallow-fried chicken, naked - I brine it first for 24 hours, then rinse, cut it up, pat dry and put the pieces on a rack and back in the fridge to dry out the skin for at least several hours. Then fried in about 2" of avocado oil in KOTC's Mom's 12" cast iron chicken frying skillet. Comes out crispy-skinned and moist inside! Here is what was left after the two of us ate our fill for dinner.

View attachment 732761
Add baking powder (about 1/4th of salt amount) and your skin will get even crispier!
You can add it during the brine stage or dust it on during the drying stage.

Beef Rendang. Almost authentic but no lemon grass. I forgot how much I love cooking this. Every addition to the pot is a feast of incredible new smells and flavors!
56CCB5DC-EE48-4C7F-8EE6-A4B1E70CC4BF.jpeg

almost done!
Chicken thighs are chicken thighs, but that salad looks delicious.
Thanks! It’s my favorite summer salad by far! Made it a lot lately because I have been getting great tomatoes from Costco. Been playing with the dressing. Was just using great olive oil, but lately been adding a splash of basalmic and a splash of red wine vinegar to the mix.

Last edited:
PS. Wife is going to think the Rendang is too spicy I’m afraid. Sigh. I cut the 16 chilies called for in half, and used 5 Tein Tsin and 3 Peri Peri, but it’s got some serious heat, which I love!!

PPS. It was not too hot, it was just right!

Last edited:
Thai Drunken Noodles. Delish. I used thai basil and it's got a very distinct mint flavor, unlike standard basil. With chicken, fresno peppers fish and oyster sauce, rice noodles, the works :)
View attachment 733972
This is KOTC'S very favorite Thai dish. Would you share your recipe? I love Thai basil, we used to grow it when we lived in CA.

Did Tri Tips for the first time yesterday evening on the pellet grill. Roasted some little taters in the oven and cooked some zucchini and squash in the grill pan on the sear burner as sides. Turned out very good! I used a technique from a youtube video, and the seasoning rub from one of the Santa Maria Tri Tip recipes. Meat came from Costco and was very pretty.
IMG_6623.jpg

IMG_6631.jpg

Thai Drunken Noodles. Delish. I used thai basil and it's got a very distinct mint flavor, unlike standard basil. With chicken, fresno peppers fish and oyster sauce, rice noodles, the works :)
View attachment 733972
Appreciate you posting this recipe Andrew! I can't wait to try this. Grocery list updated!

Back