What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plated and garnished with fresh culantro and Tabasco. Warm naan on the side.
pJRwiVo.jpg

Let's see... Friday was seared scallops and salmon fillet. Saturday was skirt steak, sauteed mushrooms and roasted broccoli. Sunday was roasted duck and Brussels sprouts sauteed with pancetta and shallots.
Much more important though is... what am I going to cook this weekend?

15 Bean Soup from yesterday.
15 bean soup 3-4-2021.jpg

Butternut Squash Ravioli from Eataly with sauteed broccolini and brown butter.
BNS Raviolli.jpg

Pizza with homemade Italian Sausage, Calabrese, cherry tomatoes, Shiitake mushrooms, and some other tasty stuff. Not my dough. Wife brought it home from Eataly. Highest hydration dough I have ever handled that was not bread dough! Pretty tasty dough, but I'll stick with my recipes.
Pizza 3-5-2021.jpg

Sous vide pork tenderloin (brown sugar, candy cap mushroom powder, salt, pepper, and thyme) for about 1.5hrs. then patted and coated again in candy cap mushroom powder with some salt and pepper. Made a pan sauce as well as cooking up two large porcini I found (with some onion, too). Pretty much crushed it :)

PXL_20210308_023907718.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210308_023902596.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Sous vide pork tenderloin (brown sugar, candy cap mushroom powder, salt, pepper, and thyme) for about 1.5hrs. then patted and coated again in candy cap mushroom powder with some salt and pepper. Made a pan sauce as well as cooking up two large porcini I found (with some onion, too). Pretty much crushed it :)

View attachment 721464View attachment 721465
Dude that looks great. You are the mushroom man

Never thought of that. I did see on a recipe site that you can regrow your scallions by cutting off an inch or so with the roots, putting them in a little bowl with the roots in the water, then moving them to a jar with the roots in the water as they get bigger. I'm gonna have to give that a try!
We just decided to try out the exact thing. That is some weird timing. So far, it's working fine. Whenever I buy green onions, I water them every day under the faucet and they grow while in the fridge in the dark. Letting them have regular water and sunlight really got these ones going.
green onion.jpg

We just decided to try out the exact thing. That is some weird timing. So far, it's working fine. Whenever I buy green onions, I water them every day under the faucet and they grow while in the fridge in the dark. Letting them have regular water and sunlight really got these ones going. View attachment 721968
I do this with lemon grass and Vietnamese coriander. Works nearly every singe time. The laksa you just take a cutting, remove the leaves you want to use and put the stem with a couple leaves on it in the water. Never failed to root yet. I have even used store bought several times and pretty much all have produced roots and new foliage.

Its a must have for Tom Yum soup and several other Thai soups. Very simple to grow also. Once the weather warms up just put the rooted cutting in soil and keep it watered. By late summer it should be huge and you will have more than 20 times the amount. I dont buy them at nurseries. I get them at the market so im sure what variety im getting by fall.

This is the basic method but i trim a tiny bit off the root end too. VERY tiny amount.

This was 3 cuttings
LN6qqWe.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 722078Meatloaf with gravy. Filled up on this and this alone. I'll eat vegetables tomorrow.

I always smother meatload in gravy and eat it with taters. When i was a kid mom just topped it with catchup and im just not a fan of that. I top mine with just strips of bacon. Then make a gravy with the drippings.
zSlj0WT.jpg

dBVp7gX.jpg

Leftovers i cut into thick slices. Fry them a little in a pan and have a killer sammie.
f0mbbXZ.jpg

I made a meatloaf Saturday night - 3 pounds. We love the stuff. I've recently discovered that slicing it about an inch thick and reheating in the air fryer at 400* for about 5 minutes gives you nice crispy on the outside and warm all the way through.

I don't care for mine cooked with any tomato product on top. I just like it left alone so it gets nice and browned and crusty on the outsides!

We love meat loaf and there are tons of variations you can make too. I have even made one with a ground pork/beef mix and chopped kimchi. That one i did brush with a sweet gochujang sauce (Korean pepper paste). Leftovers of the classic recipes though are awesome for stuff like a patty melt. Just crisp up a slice in a pan real quick.

We make them huge and any leftover are still gone within a few days. I could eat meat loaf with mushroom gravy and mashed taters at least once a week.

I wanted to sous vide a roast yesterday. A brief search online only turned up recipes that called for a 24 hour cook but I had a well marbled 4 pound roast and 6 hours. So I bagged it up with spices (salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic) and set it at 190F and it turned out great! It was a little hard to slice because it wanted to fall apart but nobody complained for sure.

I've posted my bacon wrapped meatloaf a few times here. Count me among those that don't want tomatoes in their meatloaf! Now poblanos, I always put poblanos in my meat loaf!!!

Made pork vindaloo in pungent brown sauce again the other night since it's my wife's favorite Indian dish. Made mushroom matar to go with it. Firs time I have made that for her and it was hit. I just love it. (Apologies for not cleaning up before the picture)
IMG_6182.JPG

I also completely outdid myself on hummus. I bought a roasted three pepper hummus that I liked from Target a year or so ago, so I created a recipe trying to clone it. I was able to do it as well as Archer Farms, but this time I changed a few things. I roasted by own sesame seeds and made my own tahini for one. HUGE DIFFERENCE! I went back to using canned chickpeas, but I did take the time to remove most of the outer skin from them this time. This was created with one can beans, 1 poblano, 1 red bell pepper, and 1 jalapeno. Chilies were roasted in the oven, then seeded. Saved some of each for garnish and processed in the rest. Quite honestly the best hummus I have ever eaten. Wife, daughter, and son-in-law agree!
IMG_6166.jpg

I've posted my bacon wrapped meatloaf a few times here. Count me among those that don't want tomatoes in their meatloaf! Now poblanos, I always put poblanos in my meat loaf!!!
Mild to slightly spicy peppers in meatloaf are great too. Hell its just a big meatball. The possibilities are endless because nearly every "cuisine" has some kind of meatball.

Sub these for your ramen noodles and you will never look back! They still cook in 3 minutes, but don't turn to mush if you accidently go over. And 12 grams of protein compared to 1 in ramen.
View attachment 722449

Thanks - but what about those seasoning packets, lol. Nah, I got those covered...this was just easy as my wife was shopping at the "we broke" grocery store, lol.

The price is about the same. My Asian grocery carries them for $2.50 and one package is the equivalent of 12 packs of ramen, but they don't come with seasoning packets ;) At least half the time I just season with a spoon of tomato bullion and a shake of cayenne.

Last edited:

Made pork vindaloo in pungent brown sauce again the other night since it's my wife's favorite Indian dish. Made mushroom matar to go with it. Firs time I have made that for her and it was hit. I just love it. (Apologies for not cleaning up before the picture)
View attachment 722435

I also completely outdid myself on hummus. I bought a roasted three pepper hummus that I liked from Target a year or so ago, so I created a recipe trying to clone it. I was able to do it as well as Archer Farms, but this time I changed a few things. I roasted by own sesame seeds and made my own tahini for one. HUGE DIFFERENCE! I went back to using canned chickpeas, but I did take the time to remove most of the outer skin from them this time. This was created with one can beans, 1 poblano, 1 red bell pepper, and 1 jalapeno. Chilies were roasted in the oven, then seeded. Saved some of each for garnish and processed in the rest. Quite honestly the best hummus I have ever eaten. Wife, daughter, and son-in-law agree!
View attachment 722436
I just recently made my first batch of hummus. Can't find the recipe but it pretty much followed these guidelines.

https://cookieandkate.com/best-hummus-recipe/
The biggest secret I found was boiling the chickpeas in water and baking soda. Makes it smoother and after 20 minutes you rinse it and then I found submerge it on a pot full of cold water. Maybe return it to a boil and the skins float to the top. You can then just scoop them off.

Mine was simple. I love lemon and I went overboard with squeezed juice. Simple and delicious

Last edited:
It’s a poultry week - Whole roast Rohan duck (unique to D’Artagnan, bred to emulate France’s esteemed Roanne duck) couple nights ago.

Squab with dried Black Mission Figs, duck foie gras, red Swiss chard and integral sauce from the squab legs and carcass. Friday.

This weekend, seared Muscovy breast and braised legs, likely with a roast corn purée and dragon kale, sour cherry sauce (again, integral, with duck carcass, chicken stock, brown veal stock).

Tonight, of course, corned beef, cabbage and potatoes, Jameson’s and Guinness.

- and that most Irish of pastries, “clamshell lemon turnovers”,
9DF38B79-0180-4327-90E9-5734BAC756D9.jpeg
inverse puff pastry filled with lemon crème bichon. 🤗

Ps: forgot to add, chili verde last night. After butchering and frenching a pork loin, changed up, boned the meat, joined it with trim (short rib), roasted tomatillos, poblanos and garlic, jalapeños, chicken stock, cilantro.

Last edited:
Back