What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vat of chili made in the oval 6 quart enameled Dutch oven - 2 pounds of grass-fed home ground beef and a pound of pastured pork sausage - no beans! Keto Chili!
A7FA405E-59EA-4155-A5AA-2FCF8A15D99D.jpeg

Man, just some awesome eats posted! I've been sick for the last two weeks so have not been online much. Finally on the mend it seems. It was not COVID. I got tested last Sunday. Can't find some of my pictures either. Below are the blackeyed peas when I started them New Year's morning, followed by a Shrimp Pasta and salad thing I did New Year's eve using an Italian Red Chili Pasta. Just marvelous that one was. Had a craving and did a coffee cake this morning, but no picture yet.
IMG_5722.jpg
IMG_5719.jpg

Below are the blackeyed peas

I luvs me some blackeyed peas. A place i used to work at had an employee cafeteria run by a bunch of much older ladies. They got the biggest kick out of seeing a young white boy sit down to eat some blackeyed peas, cornbread and greens like he was starving. Out of all the places in the airport i could eat with a employee discount that little hidden gem had the best food and cooks.

Vat of chili made in the oval 6 quart enameled Dutch oven - 2 pounds of grass-fed home ground beef and a pound of pastured pork sausage - no beans! Keto Chili!

How do you thicken your chilli without a source of starch?

I luvs me some blackeyed peas. A place i used to work at had an employee cafeteria run by a bunch of much older ladies. They got the biggest kick out of seeing a young white boy sit down to eat some blackeyed peas, cornbread and greens like he was starving. Out of all the places in the airport i could eat with a employee discount that little hidden gem had the best food and cooks.
The secret to fantastic black eyed peas: A Honey Baked Ham Bone!! And a long slow cook :)
IMG_5721.jpg

My parents sole income for a couple of years was foraging for mushrooms in Siskiyou National Forest and selling them to high-end restaurants. The bulk of their income came from chanterelles but a nice cauliflower mushroom was worth a half-day's 'wages'.

In the same territory you should be able to find some black trumpets, which are my favorite!
https://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/black-trumpet.html#sthash.Asyd62hd.dpbs

Made my favorite coleslaw. This is the original recipe. Dont worry the Rothchilds pineapple hab sauce is very very mild.
https://www.robertrothschild.com/blogs/vegetarian/roasted-pineapple-amp-habanero-coleslaw
Mine is just slightly different and i use no oil in it.
1 14oz bag Coleslaw mix, store bought
1 cup Mayonnaise (Dukes)
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp. Robert Rothschild Farm Roasted Pineapple & Habanero Dip or Sauce
1 Tbsp. Lime juice
2 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar (optional but i like it sweeter)

Let it rest at least 4 hours in the fridge. Overnight is even better. Only about 1300mg sodium in the entire batch.

Last edited:
Made a Martha Stewart brownie. She called for doing it in a pan. I decided to use the cupcake pan because that would allow for a crisp edge for all of the brownies. My spouse loves them as Martha wrote. I personally think they are about 5% too sweet and that upping the chocolate (either the cocoa powder or the milk chocolate/semi-sweet morsels) might produce a winner.
What I like about the recipe is the double-boil method for the cocoa powder, chocolate morsels/milk chocolate and butter before adding it to the main dry ingredients.
CHEERS!
beer and brownies.jpg

Confit pork shoulder, cooked in the Instant Pot on slow cook covered in its own luscious fat; then cubed and put into the air fryer to make it crispy,
46779F14-3EBD-4443-92AC-CD44F49587A2.jpeg
sprinkled with shredded cheese, side of salsa and avocado chunks which I then mashed on the plate and added some of our home-fermented green salsa to it. Picture snapped before I did that part.... DANG good!

Took the RV out on Saturday. I made BLTs for lunch.
PXL_20210116_212724024.jpg

...and used the bacon fat to do the finish work on this fat pork chop. I sous vide'd it before so that I wouldn't have to attempt cooking it on the small burners (definitely brought along the wrong pan). It was served with grilled bread and OE eggs.
PXL_20210117_154110217.jpg

No pics, on purpose, but I made tortillas to make steak fajitas using leftover ribeye from Saturday night. The tortillas were not round, certainly not pretty, but they turned out tasting great. We live 15 miles from town, on a wildlife infested highway, so I didn't want to drive into town for a dozen tortillas.

I got an air fryer for Christmas and spent most of the day experimenting with it. It started with lunch. My daughter wanted pita chips to go with her hummus. Well, we had some pita bread in the fridge. Turns out it only takes about 3 minutes to turn them into chips!

Then I decided to try the same thing with some leftover tortillas. It did make chips, but they weren't quite right. That's going to require further experimentation. Then I saw a bag of carrots so I made some carrot chips. Those were awesome! Then I noticed that my last peppers from the garden were loosing their crispness so I turned it down to 200F and dehydrated them all. While they were running, I noticed that the pumpkin seeds from Halloween had lost their crispness too, so those got thrown in alongside the peppers.

Finally, we were going to have meatballs for dinner so I threw half in the air fryer and pan fried the rest so that I could compare. Air fried finished in less than half the time with a lot less work. I'm still debating which ones I preferred though...

Last edited:
I had my mother-in-law show me how she makes her chili oil a few weeks ago. It could be bottled and sold retail, but then again it's stupid simple to make. Anyways, I tossed some shrimp in the oil, some lime juice, and some pineapple juice (chili oil is hawt). Heated until it was saucy then into the belly.
PXL_20210120_022006522.jpg

I don't have an air fryer yet, but have the bug to get one. Have you tried bacon wrapped hot dogs in it yet? Curious how that works.

Same boat...don't really want ANOTHER appliance. We don't have the space...the Kitchen Aid mixed and Ronco (?) Rotisserie are already housed in the garage as it is.

Not to enable anybody but I LOVE my Farberware toaster oven/air fryer. I use it A LOT. I put my Kitchenaid mixer and other seldom-used appliances away, and sadly my last Ronco Rotisserie died so it's gone. But if this Farberware ever dies, I will RUN and get another, or one like it - as far as I know they were only selling them through Walmart and not sure they still are. I just finished reheating some Costco chicken leg/thigh quarters in it for lunch, 10 minutes at 375* is perfect. Then I took the skin off the rest of the thighs and made gribenes in it and have to stop myself from eating them all! It's got a convection cycle too so I often use it instead of heating up the big oven. My 7" x 11" glass pan fits in there just fine. Can ya tell I love it? Have had it two years now....

If you like that sweet savory kinda pork, try Lu Rou Fan. Very popular dish in Taiwan and one of my absolute favorites. Its one of the first really authentic Taiwan dishes i ever had. VERY ADDICTIVE!

Latest posts

Back