What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poached eggs, hash browns, and homemade kimchi for breakfast. Now for a hefe weizen.😉
IMG_20201122_083401.jpg
IMG_20201122_083313.jpg

Thanksgiving dinner: turkey, wild rice, green bean casserole, roasted Brussels sprouts/carrots, yams, giblet gravy. Our daughter and granddaughter came to spend a few days with us so we went ahead with a holiday meal. When I worked as a wellsite consultant in the oilfields Thanksgiving dinner was any day that week I would be home for the whole day so my kids grew up eating Thanksgiving dinner any day of the week.

I made my third batch of radish kimchi now. Can't stop eating the stuff!!

Love kkakdugi
I add some pear puree to mine. I also weep the radish first in 50/50 salt and sugar. After it ferments it wont taste sweet at all.

Love kkakdugi
I add some pear puree to mine. I also weep the radish first in 50/50 salt and sugar. After it ferments it wont taste sweet at all.
I did the same thing! I did 2 tbsp salt to 2 tbsp sugar for about an hour and then poured the juice out and added it back as needed!

Anybody else here watch Sam the Cooking Guy on YouTube? I made his recipe for Jerk Chicken Thighs last night - pretty good stuff. I used riced cauliflower in place of the Basmati rice and reduced the liquids to compensate. Forgot to take pictures but he has them on his website if you care to look at the recipe/photos directly from him.

8lb bone in turkey breast for sammies. Turned out perfect and i left it to rest until fully cooled so it stays moist. Skin was seasoned with salt, pepper and McCormick's poultry seasoning. Covered in avocado oil first.
EW8eRGM.jpg

oLyG7ed.jpg

Round 2 of Instant Pot tests. 2 turkey thighs, 2 necks (not shown) and some bone broth. Pressure cooked on high for 30min. Tossed under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp the skin. They appeared to be tender. Neck meat pulled off very easy. Quart of the stock was saved for later use.
z4froc9.jpg

Qq922P4.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to all those celebrating today! May your turkey be moist and delicious and your gravy lump-free.

My turkey dry-brined for 24 hours, then I rinsed it off and patted it dry yesterday late afternoon and put it back in the fridge uncovered so the skin will get nice and crispy today. Made a keto pumpkin pie, have garlicky green beans, mashed cauliflower, home-canned cranberry jalapeno sauce, and keto turkey gravy, and of course the 13 pound turkey. Can't wait! It's just the two of us so we'll put the turkey in around 11 and eat when it's done. Trying out my "new to me" Dacor oven with the temp probe...hope it works well. Will have my instant read thermometer at the ready to double-check.

F1D9B3AB-089F-4A7C-8670-3E6916899F93.jpeg

It‘s just Hubby and myself for the holidays this year (all family is living out of state now) so the menu was cut back a little, though we didn’t lack variety. Stuffing, fresh green beans, juicy roasted turkey with lump free gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, mash, homemade dinner roll, and creamed boiling onions. Happy Thanksgiving.

This morning's breakfast. Tamales smothered in green chile sauce, beans and eggs.
Have you ever tried panfrying the tamales? One of the Mexican servers at our favorite Japanese place (I know, kinda incongruous) told us his family does this - peel off the corn husks and just brown them well on both sides in bacon fat or tallow or duck fat. They are SO GOOD that way!

Have you ever tried panfrying the tamales? One of the Mexican servers at our favorite Japanese place (I know, kinda incongruous) told us his family does this - peel off the corn husks and just brown them well on both sides in bacon fat or tallow or duck fat. They are SO GOOD that way!
I'll certainly give it a try. I still have 7 dozen tamales in the freezer

Fried chicken using that one recipe which is supposed to be the KFC spices that a reporter took a photo of. Wasn't bad. Tried using a brine for the first round. I'll use buttermilk/egg for tomorrow and soak the chicken in that. Of course, I don't have a pressure fryer and don't plan on buying one. Instead, I use boneless and make sure the pieces aren't too thick.
chicken breaded.jpg

cooked chicken.jpg

Fried chicken using that one recipe which is supposed to be the KFC spices that a reporter took a photo of. Wasn't bad. Tried using a brine for the first round. I'll use buttermilk/egg for tomorrow and soak the chicken in that. Of course, I don't have a pressure fryer and don't plan on buying one. Instead, I use boneless and make sure the pieces aren't too thick. View attachment 708707
View attachment 708708
Looks just fantastic!

Fried chicken using that one recipe which is supposed to be the KFC spices that a reporter took a photo of. Wasn't bad. Tried using a brine for the first round. I'll use buttermilk/egg for tomorrow and soak the chicken in that. Of course, I don't have a pressure fryer and don't plan on buying one. Instead, I use boneless and make sure the pieces aren't too thick.
Was curious since I was unaware of the Chicago Tribune article with the herbs and spices. In a subsequent article from their test kitchen they played with the recipes. Based on that I would go with the buttermilk/egg soak instead of a brine. But I am wondering, did you add any MSG or not? CT Test Kitchen said that is what it took to bring it in line with the KFC they bought at the time of the test kitchen article.

I would go with the buttermilk/egg soak instead of a brine. But I am wondering, did you add any MSG or not?
No MSG on that first batch.
Once I saw the lay of the land after I had floured/spiced the chicken, I knew It wasn't going to look right but I was proceeding on what an article said about how the reporter watched KFC employees brine and then go straight to the flouring/spicing.
Though the chicken looked great, it wasn't right. That prompted me to get buttermilk this afternoon. Also, I stood in front of the spices for ten minutes trying to find MSG or a version of it--no luck on that.
So, round two tonight. I'll post with results.

That was my number two after MSG. I think Kroger took a big hit from the holiday and I wasn't about to go meandering about town. If the flavor is close after this experiment, I will search out some MSG. I am like a dog with a bone if I'm close. I did it with Detroit style pizza and I'll do it with this. As I mentioned earlier, being minus a safe pressure fryer will always be a missing "ingredient."
In any case, I'm soaking the chicken in a cup of buttermilk and an egg for 30 minutes and it just finished as I'm writing this. I'm ramping up the deep fryer. The recipe says let the floured chicken rest for 20-30 minutes and I shall. I'm a half hour away from dropping them in the grease. I'm a little excited.

Back